1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god, even after what religion says about us?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by catgoturtongue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Biotech49

I used to be a fundamentalist and/or charismatic Christian and every time I extracted myself from the brainwashing I was back checking out the girls. I finally left for good and came out fully as a lesbian. However, I would call myself an agnostic/spiritual person who doesn't really care much for organized religion.

2. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't help it but do. I was given too many second chances in life when even the doctors said it was impossible. I am still waiting for an explanation for that. I have my doubts and concerns about few things of course which is why I can be on the fence sometimes...mostly because of people themselves and not religion.

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am an atheist, but not due to the inherent homophobic character of many religions. I am so due to the simple fact that religion isn't true (granted, the homophobia thing definitely makes ma have negative feelings towards religions).

4. biggayguy

This is a loaded question because of the way it's framed. It is designed to put down those here that believe in God and praise those who don't believe in God. When you want to have an honest discussion let me know.

5. tryhtwfr

Yes I believe in God, I'm a Muslim and as much as people say that I have reasons not to be one and not believe in God - I believe he's there and that he's watching over me and helping me overcome my issues despite what they are :slight_smile:

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol and add on a disability for me. I am a gay disable christian. Got three things for people to complain about. Lol.

7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, because religion isn't about believing what I WANT to believe. It is about knowing what the truth is. People are the ones who misinterpret the idea of what/who God is and who He finds worthy or not.

God's judgment is absolute.

8. No, but not because of the specific views on homosexuality. I simply have no faith in a God existing, as I see no proof for it. It has nothing to do with the teachings or the hypocrisy.

9. Stephany

Yes, I believe in God. But I do not believe in religion. As I've said in other posts... I believe God is the air I breathe, the stars in the sky, the atoms that are in my body. God is everywhere and everything. It's man that made him a big mean man in the sky that casts down laws.

That's just me :slight_smile:

10. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't see any reasons to believe, i don't feel the presence of any supernatural forces. I am a fairly spiritural person though, like... i like to meditate and feel connected with nature and the world, i like to study philosophy and religious traditions... I only see "magic" in love because it is a feeling that needs no specific cause or purpose to exist. Everyone needs to love at least something or someone to live and give their life a meaning, but they can't explain WHY they love it/them. Love is something that exists beyond reason, but it gives a reason to everything. To me, it seems that "God" exists within the fullfilment of loving and being loved.

Too naive, hm... :icon_redf

11. MerBear

I'm sorry but if you truly cared about your faith, Something that is said about "gays" shouldn't change that.

"oh, homosexuality is a sin? fine, i don't believe in god anymore"

obviously, a lot of LGBT people don't say that but some have that logic and it's like....No.

12. Hrantou

Nope. I believe in science. I want facts. I want proof and proven hypothesis. I see none for god. Plus, the bible has been re-written so many times, who knows what the original version even said.

Faith is strong, I won't deny that. But that "faith" has been responsible for the death of millions and the persecution of entire communities. Its caused wars and crusades. To me, its not just the fact that its said that its against gays. Its the fact that its done way more harm on this planet than good.

Maybe there is a god. Its possible something like that could exist in the universe. I'd love to find out one day.

Just my opinion. I have nothing against people who do believe. It can drive some people to do some real good. I just wish that happened a lot more than it does.

13. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are still a beautiful person here though (*hug*)

14. 2112

I'm agnostic. Religion doesn't make sense to me, but I can't say for sure either way.

15. GrandSummoner

I did question for a while, but I would definitely have to say yes, I do believe in God. My faith's gotten me through some rather dark times in my life, it's important to me.

16. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I'll second that to the infinite power.

It's a shame in my opinion since I find God and my homosexuality to be both very important to me and a part of who I am. However, wherever I go one must hide or at the very least remain very quite, whether it be here or real life. Hiding any part of yourself is destructive and sad.

17. Sardonic

Although I'm agnostic, an extremely religious friend of mine offered these words of wisdom, that have stuck with me ever since...

18. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Objecting to something purely on the grounds that it entails things you don't like doesn't seem like a sound way to decide upon whether belief is reasonable. I am not religious, but it's purely for epistemic reasons (it's extremely improbable, and the explanations it offers are unsatisfactory).

19. Aielar

I believe in God (as he did help me through learning to accept myself as a non-heterosexual person) but I don't have anything to do with organized religion or church. My take on it is that religion/spirituality is a personal thing, and there's a million ways of doing it, each unique to every person. Sure, ministers are alright and I have nothing against them, but I would rather explore religion on my own and come to my own understanding of it all.

20. Momosboy

I do believe. Nothing against atheism, but I'd have to be brain-dead to see all the beauty around us, and not see a signature of a Designer. I'm Christian, but I'm not a 'religious' one. I don't like church, the Bible is food for my soul and not my mind, and I absolutely DESPISE those chanting litany things. They remind me of pagan (in the ancient sense) rituals, IMHO.