1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The uk? Anyone else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jessica79, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK is decent on the whole, but I find Wales to be really shit on the whole when it comes to LGBT issues. Our first Pride parade was last year.

2. MrBrightside

Scotlands alright, depending where you go, some places arent as good as others, as with anywhere. On the whole its fine, but there is a tendency to brush it under the carpet and accept it, but not talk about it :slight_smile: We dont have pride anywhere in the north east like.

3. ScatteredEarth

..I've seen a 15 year old get beat half to death because he was gay.. And by half to death, I mean he died for 12 seconds in the hospital.. If I could live ANYWHERE else in the country I would. I would love to move to the UK, the US has its benefits, but a change of scenery is nice.

4. Jessica79

I didn't realise the south of the uk is that good with it its probably just newcastle :/

5. Amerigo

it's ok if you're white british. if your parents hail from another part of the world (like mine) then no lgbt-friendly government can help you.

6. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The UK has a lot of legal support in terms of equality etc but it is more the attitudes of individuals more than anything, I for one certainly wouldn't go around parading about the fact that I am gay. I can't think of many people who would be keen on that.

7. OpticChaos89

Move to Hull! We be awesome! :grin:

P.s. The UK is rather awesome on accepting LGBT people. Seriously, other than a few close minded people, most don't care.

8. Aussir

Are you guys reading too much Daily Mail and the "marvelous" comments in it or something?

There's good and bad everywhere, not just UK.

That said... UK is turning a tidbit Orwellian in some stuff lately ... :confused:

9. The place where I live (in West Yorkshire) is probably one of the most accepting places ever for the LGBT community.
    The only people that are not liked are those who say they are gay/lesbian and then two months later they've changed their minds.

10. tryhtwfr

Just today in the car, I spotted a gay couple holding hands proudly in London :slight_smile: Also, my friend up north in Newcastle upon Tyne has a very supportive amount of people about his sexuality and there are bullies everywhere you go, it's just the nature of this world.

11. leer

the UK isn't all that bad a place to live you will get negative views '' from a a tiny minority '' in most country's I came from a pretty rough area of the uk and honestly its not all bad .

12. Holly

I think generally the UK has pretty good views on the LGBT society, especialy after advances in Gay Marriage. This is perhaps more prominent in large cities, where there are often support groups and pride marches. In the smaller villages (like one I live in), there is little to no support for LGBT people.

In my mind, the UK adopts a more 'sweep it under the carpet' approach rather than being flat out horrible. It's not brought up a lot.

13. Harve

Glasgow has its problems and it's bad to pretend otherwise, but I don't think homophobia is one of them compared to anywhere else!

I grew up in rural Northern England too, and there weren't too many issues. The south of England is almost entirely Conservative outside major cities (blue = Conservative, the main centre-right party, red = Labour, the main centre party) so you'd expect it to be more hostile towards homosexuality but I don't think that's really the case. The 'bible belt' of the UK is probably somewhere in Northern Ireland, which is also by far the least progressive UK nation.

14. ukbrunette

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't think you can say that the UK is homophobic, or the US or whatever; and you definitely can't specify to a particular area of the UK.
    Homophobia (generally) doesn't have a geographical status, wherever you go, there will always be people who accept being gay and people who don't.

Its best just to ignore those who don't and enjoy being who you are :grin:

15. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh My God!!!
    That's Terrible, I've never heard of it being that bad in a 1st world country.

16. LoveMusicPoetry

Precisely, dick heads everywhere. I live in Oxford but I'm from the Midlands, never really had much of a problem anywhere to be honest. Also it depends how old you are. If you're a kid and in school then you're more likely to get homophobic bs because some kids can be horrible. It's not their fault, they're just products of some negative adult influence or other. On the whole though people in my experience tend not to make a big deal out of it. There'll be arseholes where ever you go. We are lucky to live in a country that is better than most. Just look at Russia ffs.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2013 at 01:26 PM ----------

Just to add to my last post: I always hold hands with my girlfriend and steel hugs and kisses etc, we've never had any trouble.

After reading all the posts, I agree that most people sweep it under the carpet, rather than making an issue about it. Also, from what other people have told me and what I've read on other forums, there is very little LGBT community outside the cities. If you want groups and pride marches etc you'll have to go to a larger town or city. They do have pride marches in places I wouldn't have expected though.

To the OP, things aren't as bad as you imagine. It's a hell of a lot better than it was when I went to school. Even the backwater where I grew up is ok nowadays.

17. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Where I live it's very calm and peaceful (Unless you can hear my brother's weekly party at night) with LGBT-accepting places everywhere. But genrally the country is not the best place to live if you're LGBT. But it's getting better.... slowly but steadily.

18. Aussir

People have been beaten to death or almost to death in UK for simply being Goth... yes, there are some very bad specimens of human race in UK... but so there are in other places. I can give you an example from where I'm currently living...

I still remember the evening my and my SO were going to a work party and the dress code was formal/cocktail... we had to stop at Tesco because she suddenly had a run on her stocking.

So there we were, she in a cocktail dress and me in a tux, going into a Tesco and there was this group of yobs sitting on the rails outside it.

You don't want to know the hate looks we got for simply being dressed in anything other than hoodies and tracks pants. You just don't want to know... you could cut the hate with a knife.

Same thing inside Tesco... you'd think older people would be different... but no... same hate looks... not even "wth? tux?" looks... just plain hate.

We just got the stuff and got the hell out of there really fast before we ended up the night in a hospital.

19. Afro Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it just depends on who you happen to encounter, I live in London and I've had both sides of it, a lot of people are fine with it but there are still quite a few people massively opposed to it. I guess wherever you go its like that though.

20. Willjarvis

You don't say? Do you just mean it doesn't cater well to LGBT people or do other people here have issues with them?