1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking Like A Dyke?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Aug 30, 2013.

1. pippi

Go with whatever makes you comfortable! If it feels good to you, and you like it, then that's all that matters! Short hair doesn't make you a dyke or a femme. I hate labels!

2. HopeFloats

I get that it was a joke. I was just saying it seemed like a joke from another time or place from my reality.

I like the joke my friend told me when I was anxious about what to wear to a Brandi Carlile concert - my first big lesbian gathering after coming out. She said to wear my lesbian clothes.

3. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

I've very recently determined both my 'style' and my 'type' neither of which seem to fit within any list of lesbian 'types' that I've been able to find so far. I guess the best defined term I've come across would be the 'genderfuck'. Androgynous to the Nth degree.

I've mentioned before that the only guys that ever really floated my boat were the pretty ones - and I mean really pretty - like Andrej Pejic, but with women, I'm lost to Tilda Swinson or Jenny Shimizu - WOW. Put Lucy Liu in a school boy uniform & no makeup at all? Oh MY!

It's my own look as well. If I dress in a 'man's style' suit for work, my short-short hair sleek, I'll pump up the makeup and stilettos, if I wear a dress and put a clip in my pixie cut and leave the natural wave, I wear flats and don't worry about painting up. My son't kilt, a wife beater, biker boots - then it's soft hair and big eyes.

I seem to both like and be attracted to looks that cross or blur the gender barrier, not one extreme or the other - with either sex. So what's that make me? :shrug:

p.s. Hope, the infographic was indeed intended for comic value, although within 2013 I have personally rocked the ponytail, the modern woman, the undercut AND when I let her have her way, my hairdresser even subjected me to the fauxhawk. :rolle:

4. Biotech49

I did the "modern woman" for way too long. I needed something different and I have always admired women who can wear very short hair well. I don't know if I do, but I sure as hell like the ease of it!

My girlfriend is still talking to me so I guess she's okay with it. My hair is now shorter than hers.

5. codegrrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it looks great! But then, butch chicks have always been my achilles heel. My motto is "be what you admire"...if I find myself admiring a personality trait or attracted to a physical trait, I try to strengthen that in myself. Makes it easier to like oneself that way. *grin*.

I went short-short last year, semi-involuntarily (King Neptune and a machete were involved)...but found myself loving my dykey do with a surprising ferocity once I had it. I'll never go back to braids.

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I think this thread is why I asked my therapist if I looked butch or femme. She said I'm more androgynous.& said it depends on how I wear my hair. I have really long hair I usually wear in a pony tail. When down its a mane. I never wear make up. Usually wear jeans & tee or tank when its warmer. I recently discovered I like wearing yoga pants. Think I will pair w/ the flannel. Due to an actual need I bought a purse -canvas w/lots of pockets to torment me. :slight_smile:

7. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Got my haircut tonight. Brought in a picture of Charlize Theron http://mod-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/charlize-theron.jpg

When my hairdresser was done, I opened my tablet, googled "Anderson Cooper Images" and put her back to work. After, as I was walking thru the parking lot outside the salon (a shared parking lot with Starbucks, Home Depot and a mattress store) two women behind me yelled out. "We love your skirt" said one, the other said, "I love your hair" the first then said, "Oh, your hair's great too!" then one of them said, "You're just a bundle of deliciousness!"

NO ONE has EVER said anything like that (let alone ALL those things) to me before - and total strangers to boot. I may actually be starting to believe what everyone here says about how you start to change as you come to accept who you really are. What an incredible feeling!

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:eusa_clap(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

9. HopeFloats

What an awesome story! I love that pic of Charlize: ) I really think my whole inner glow appeared when I began to accept myself. It's true.

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I thought of cutting off my hair last month. (Actually debate goes back to college) Not sure if I like my hair. If It's a security/insecurity thing. I think If I cut it it would have to be fairly short. I don't like it shoulder length. I have a lot of hair so if its medium length and I can't ponytail it it gets really annoying.

11. Monkeywoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hair looks great, don't worry about labels, as long as you are happy and comfortable that is the main thing!

12. DrkRayne

I love your new look.
    Ignore everyone and go with what makes you comfortable. I think butch women are sexy.

When I cut my hair shorter my mother freaked out and said "Oh my God are you going to look like one of those dyke women now?" Nevermind I cut it because it was over processed and my hair dresser said to cut it and let it grow out, which I did. I was still feminine but she felt my cutting my hair was the first step to "trying to be a man". Which in my opinion is NOT what butch/stud women are doing, they are just being themselves
    People just like to talk about things that dont effect them. Eh'

13. Femmeme

I just cut off my very long hair. It is so freeing! It's still pretty femme in a super short bob but letting go of that all that hair feels amazing.

14. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Experiencing one major downfall of short hair right now. Been sitting outside since 7am at a water polo tournament. My head & neck are FREEZING! This time last year I had a MANE of hair keeping me warm.

Guess it's time to break out my old fur-lined leather bomber hat with the ear flaps!

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

:thumbsup:
    Us EastCoasters have Indoor pools! Parents are delayered down to tank tops after 1st hour.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

I really need a change. I feel stuck even w/all the good changes in my life. It's long enough to donate to Locks of Love so maybe will find a salon that does that. It's another fear to overcome as silly as it sounds to be afraid of a haircut.

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

Gee sounds like my bio-mother. She even had a male nickname for me.

16. Femmeme

(*hug*) No, I get it. I was afraid of cutting my hair too. It's like I felt some weird responsibity to have long hair. I know for years part of that was a fear of looking too dyke-ish. It was hard to get past that fear but the hair cut makes me feel like a whole new person.

17. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks Femmeme-I do think there is some heavy baggage I carry w/the long hair. Think I found a good place to get it cut. (*hug*)

18. Lovetoski

Lovetoski Guest

I think you all suck. My hair is so curly I have two choices: long and layered or your grandmothers hairdo. And the only thing I love more than a ponytail is a baseball cap- which is NOT acceptable in my profession. I'm totally jelly of anyone who can change their hairstyle.. Mine has been pretty constant since 1992. :wink:

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, ditch the bomber hat! I say Scahves, dahlin', that's the way to go!

20. MaybeJory

I look butchish. I have for years. I have an actual mohawk (no fauxhaw here!!) I *just* realized I am a lesbian a few weeks ago. For the past several years, I've been discovering my style. I thought I was looking punk. :lol:

Oh and a nice selection of slouchy hats really helps our poor cold heads.