1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with zoloft :(

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Stridenttube, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Retrospect

I am also on Zoloft (25 mg -- just started fairly recently) and am having similar issues. Weight gain is not a big issue with Zoloft, as it actually tends to cause people to eat less. Weight gain is more associated with Paxil and Prozac, among others. I would definitely see a psychiatrist anyway; if anyone needs to mess with your meds it should be a psychiatrist. They know much more about this stuff and can probably prescribe a more effective dosage/combination. If you have insurance, your insurance company can find you a psychiatrist. Also, a therapist/psychologist would be an excellent resource. Pills will not solve your problems, but they will make dealing with them easier. If you're in college, most universities have a free student mental health center or something similar.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing with college health centers is that they are cheap. Prozac came out in 1987, and Zoloft in 1991. It took a long time for them to become available as generics, over 10 years, though I don't know the statutory period. The student health centers will prescribe what's cheap, and not always what's necessary. Yes, a psychiatrist should be the one who works with the patient, and not a GP, though there aren't enough psychiatrists to go around. I think it's a specialty that's under-supplied.

I encountered this problem in school. The Zoloft would have worked, seeing how it kicked in, in about 2 or 3 weeks. They gave me some antiquated drug instead and in the morning, I felt like I weighed like a boulder, and couldn't get up, so I went without meds. When I started working and with that came the insurance, I then got the Zoloft, through a therapist who had a consulting link to a psychiatrist. I liked the therapist and I was glad I didn't have to see the psychiatrist, who was very nice, but not somebody I could have bonded with.

#22 Tightrope, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Not that it matters, I'm out of school. I'm set to see a psyche in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure it's going to help. I don't feel like I can feel any better than I am right now. I don't think anybody can make me happy.

4. Silver Sparrow

I take Zoloft for anxiety, and I find that it has been really helpful with that. Everything really depends on your brain chemistry and needs, but definitely bring up concerns with your doctor. It sometimes happens that depression and anxiety are interlinked- once I got my depression under ccontrol, my anxiety acted up, but I've finally found a medication that works for both.

5. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had really vivid and odd dreams while I was on it and I do remember feeling somewhat light headed when I first started. I took it for about a year and decided to stop. It was working OK, but it made me really lazy and listless. I gained 10 pounds, but I think it was mostly because I was inactive.

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Um, hai I just saw this thread and decided to reply. I was put on Zoloft last month (50 mg) and for the first week I felt light headed and less stable as well. In addition to that I was constantly tired, felt queasy and had headaches. It eventually went away, I'd say it was after about 2 weeks? Also for the first week I was on it I was unable to cry and very calm. That all went away fairly quick as well, I think I need my dosage checked. As far as weight gain goes I haven't gained any weight while on Zoloft so far. The first few days it made me feel hungry 24/7 and it was painful (hunger pains because I refused to eat as much as my body wanted). I think everything you are experiencing is normal, if you are concerned I would call your doctor or a local pharmacy.

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2013 at 01:19 AM ----------

Vivid dreams here too, still have them too.

Ps. It can cause you to have constipation/diarrhea and dry mouth. I didn't know this and had to ask my doctor.

#26 Alex94, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013