1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with the windows 8 hate?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JessicaWolfess, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JessicaWolfess

^^^^^^^ this 100%

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually...some say Windows 2000 was the best Windows ever. Some even say that now.

3. starfish

Windows 2000 was a big big leap past NT, but I am glad that it is gone. 2003 and 2008 especially are so much better. I haven't done much with Server 2012 yet, so I can't draw a conclusion.

I ran the beta of windows 8 for a while, and I liked it. I have a beta of 8.1 running on VM right now that I am doing some development on. I think the metro interface is much better than the old start much, it just hasen't been fully utilized yet. I like the tiles are not just dumb icons, but can convey information to you.

The main reason that people are bitching about windows 8 is that it is different. I remember people complaining about the new windows explorer 20 years ago.

4. 2112

I don't know, I tried using it and it looks like a tablet to me. I prefer the normal start menu and little icons to open programs instead of giant boxes.

5. starfish

Well you missed a few there.

There was Windows NT 3.1, 3.5, and 3.51 which used the old Windows Program Manager interface

Then there was NT 4.0 which used the new windows explore

THen you had NT 5.0 which was Windows 2000 and NT 5.1 which was XP.

NT 6.0 was Vista and 6.1 was was Windows

NT 6.2 is 8 and NT 6.3 will be Windows 8.1

So you are right that Windows NT has followed the major-minor change strategy, but really every one does that.

NT 4.0 was very simular to the internals of NT 3.x, so even though the shell was different I would say it was the minor version of 3.x.

6. Fairylink

I upgraded to Windows 8 when it came out and really it's almost exactly the same to me. I end up migrating back to the desktop no matter what I do. I even get desktop apps for things that have Windows 8 apps lol.

I don't know why, I love new things and change I guess since the desktop is still there I just stick with it.

7. Quaiv

My main problem with 8 is that this year, my father had to buy five (different) computers, because each and every one of them crashed while someone was using it, which had never happened before, on our computers with 7. And the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine just three days ago. I don't hate it, it just doesn't work...

8. Stripe101

I haven't had a problem with mine. It's worked flawlessly.

9. monotone

Windows 8 on my laptop crashed and couldn't boot up again, so I had to roll it back to 7.

10. Zach

I've been using windows 8 (my new desktop pc came with it last December) and while there was a bit of a learning curve, I did figure out pretty quickly how to use it. I personally love it.

There is a service pack that will come out for windows 8 in a couple of months (it's been in beta testing for a while now) that will give you back a limited start button again, and you will also have the ability to boot directly to your desktop on a PC and "avoid" the tablet style interface if you so desire. (and I plan to use the "boot to desktop" option myself) :thumbsup:

11. Joanne

The major flaw is that it contains two diffent ui's smashed on top of each other in a very poor manner.

What they need is a seamless fragmented ui that has a cross fragmentation consistent design, and to a level automatically chooses the required ui based on hardware, from small tablet ui, to large tablet ui, to PC ui and so on, and then also let you choose what ui type you desire in the settings.

Android does this very well for the phone, to small tablet, to large tablet transition and soon will have a lower fragmentation for things like smart watches and older phones, this setup is what windows needs to be successful with the universal os plan.

All they did with win 8 was take vital features away from the desktop ui, add a couple of minor things, then put all the focus into layering a tablet ui on top of it, and then had the stupid idea of forcing desktop users to use the tablet ui to access the programs and settings. Very very sloppy and poorly thought out. Desktop ui and tablet ui should never mix, wouldn't hurt to work on improving the desktop ui either tbh

Something like this would work very well to create a seamless desktop ui design across a well designed semi auto fragmented ui system: The re-imagined Windows 8 Metro concept that you wish was real | Digital Trends

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have not worked on in personally since I have a Mac, but I think the interface (not the tiled one) is very clean and attractive, IMO.