Is the medical field only for smart ppl with str8 A`s?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

i keep wondering if l`ll make it out depression and get my life back and be someone. has that happened to u? i wanted to own my own bakery but unfortunately didnt work out :frowning2: so now im considering med field but is the med field only for smarties? i feel like my disability is making me a handicap and i get angry all the time from ppl telling me u cant, thinking of im dumb.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Medicine requires very good scores, excellent writing skills, a lot of devotion to the job, and the start of the career is long and gruelling, often at the expense of personal interests.

And I'm going to be very frank now. If your English is like that on a regular basis, you're not going to go well in medicine.

3. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

no my keyboard isnt working properly that`s why my grammer is terrible

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get used to biology, anatomy, and chemistry. All of them will be your dearest friends while studying for any kind of medical degree. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

im considering occupational therapy

6. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom used to be a nurse, and while I don't know too much about it, I don't think she got straight A's.

7. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

thanks i guess

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK. How old are you? What do you want to do within the field of medicine? Have you gone to university for a different degree? Are there restrictions on late entry or so on for you at your available universities? This isn't an easy thing to get advice on, so perhaps it'd be good for you to see a careers adviser (if you're still in school).

9. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

nineteen and i want to do occupational therapy , i know my memorization is excellent , i understand anatomy and phyisology. Biology i kinda understand ,however its the math disabilty that made me drop out of college at eighteen.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I'm not sure what the university requirements are where you live, but in my country, you have one major shot at a good university entrance, and after that it's very difficult to get a good course. Where you are and what universities are available to you are important factors; a degree from a bad university isn't worth much, but late entrance to the best universities is hard.

11. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

im in the u.s ny region

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you checked the entry requirements for the universities you're interested in? Does your jurisdiction have a university guide book? (Australia has a really effective system of university guides, I'm not sure about other places) Have you made any enquiries to universities asking about courses and admissions?

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should try also being a nurse or physician's assistant. They are less academically challenging but still respectable health positions.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you had better get started. :lol: The window of opportunity isn't as endless as we're sometimes led to believe. Your twenties and late teens are just as important as your thirties. Good luck. :slight_smile: EC is always here for advice.

15. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

i have emailed them but is med degree well for ppl who are born smart or hard working?

16. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most universities have an entry requirement, but it doesn't stop there.

In medicine they whittle down the students until in the end only a small percentage stay.

If you don't think you have the natural ability, don't try it, you'll just end up disappointed and out of pocket. I'm giving you my honest opinion. You'd be better off doing something you're more confident in.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have problems with math, medicine is probably a no-go. Advanced chemistry has a lot of mathematics in it, as does physics and calculus, all of which are premed requirements (this would apply to both medical school and physician's assistant or nurse practitioner training.) The entrance requirements are steep, it's extremely competitive, and as others have said, you need to have really strong scores on the standardized testing (MCATS, etc) which typically have a fairly hefty mathematical component to them.

Occupational therapy has less math requirements, but there are still some.

18. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm doing Medicine at uni at the moment. Medicine i.e. to be a doctor is HARD work, in the UK you need straight As at A level and have to go through a massively tough application process.

From what I have read my honest advice would be to consider nursing, occupational therapy or physio. These are great jobs in the medical field that don't involve YEARS OF INTENSE LEARNING that have great patient contact and practical hands-on work.

That said, do your research, look at the jobs in detail, maybe organise some work experience to see if you will really like it and most importantly look at the application criteria and see if you think you fit these well :slight_smile:.

19. Harper

I couldn't agree with this post more. The medical field is very diverse with so many different jobs that require varying skill sets and education requirements. If and when you go back to school, do try to make sure you get as much help with your studies as you possibly can.

Good luck figuring out what you would like to do!