Speeding

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How fast do drivers go in your part of the world? I read an article about the nicest drivers in America, and the politest driving state is my home state, Michigan.

As a native Michigander, I'll tell you first-hand, Michiganders are lead-footed by nature. When I was in California, I was shocked at how people drove the speed limit in the far-left lane. In Michigan, if you're going 70, you won't even keep up with the blue-hairs in the slow lane. We'd be glad to let you in, or to change lanes so you can merge, but you've gotta keep up with us.

To put it in perspective, I was headed to UM in Ann Arbor on US-23 a couple years ago for a football game. I was going 95 in the left lane, and I was still getting passed on the right. You can get arrested for going that fast.

Generally, I won't go more than 5 over, and that's because we have some of the most lenient cops in the nation. If you're going 74, you probably won't get pulled over, but if you're going 75, you just might. When you get into the richer parts of my county on I-75, the cops will set their radar during rush hour at 85, and if anybody's going 86 or faster, they're the only ones getting pulled over.

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At the risk of confessing some kind of crime I will stay vague. But I agree, I drive fast all the time. I'm surprised we are voted the politest

3. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well in Buenos Aires you can go at 150 km/h in the highway and get away with it. The gendarmes rarely pull you over. Police, on the other hand, are quite uptight when it comes to the 120 speed limit... yet since it's the border guard's "job" to stop speeding cars, well...

That's the fucked up Argentinian highway patrol for you.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can be polite at 120 MPH. And a real jerk at 25 MPH. Speed really isn't relevant.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 12:48 PM ----------

Here (western WA) it seems to be most people do 5-10 MPH over the limit. At least the highways I drive on.

But of course one does see speed demons. When I was about 19, I knew a guy who admitted to driving fast. One time he had his mother's new Peugeot. (The fact that this was new in the USA shows just how long ago this took place!) He hit something like 90 going down Interstate 5. The speed limit was, I think, 55 then.

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

The fastest I ever went was one of those "I don't have any idea" moments, because the speedometer only went so high. (I think 85 or something like that. At one time, cars sold here could only show up to 85 or whatever. I think it was one of those government ideas that if "it doesn't go higher, people won't be tempted to find out if the car can go really fast!")

However, I hasten to say that I broke neither broke speed limits, nor did anything unsafe when I hit 90 or whatever. I was in Montana, and, at that time, there was no daytime limit, and the road was deserted where I was, with good visibility all around.

#4 BMC77, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  5. Techno Kid

Well on Highway 401 in Ontario the speed limit is 100 km/h (like on all 400-series highways), but most people go 110-120. While on Highway 417 most people just go 10 over.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And you've got Americans like us who follow the speed limit in MPH not KM/H. I had said that to my dad after we got back from Canada last month that he was way speeding a couple times. 50 MPH is a lot faster than 50 km/h

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The converter is 1.61, more or less. If I'm driving in Canada, I have to keep doing math in my head. I don't use the other set of digits on the speedometer. I just remember that 100 km/h is about 60 mph, and there should be no hassles. I think 107 or 108 is 65.

8. Techno Kid

Yeah... sorry for not doing a translation, as I'm not very good with miles off hand. : 3
    and for sure 50 km/h is the usual limit in municipalities. haha

9. Data

Data Guest

On my motorcycle it was really REALLY easy to speed. I could go 30mph in 1st gear.

My current car is a 1984 190D 2.2L 5 speed. Quite the pokey puppy. I don't go fast anymore.

To answer the question, in Tucson there are quite a few asshole drivers.

Issues:
    1. Illegals who don't have insurance. They drive too fast, get in a wreck, and flee the scene. It's a BIG issue.
    2. Snowbirds. They come down in winter, have no idea what the speeds are for different roads, they don't know that Tucson uses an ending left turn arrow, and that really makes for a lot of bad drivers.

Now, out in the boonies like Avra Valley, it really isn't uncommon for people to speed a lot. I once found out the top speed of my motorcycle on the highway that runs through that desolate area.

10. timo

I'm a notorious speeder, and not that proud of it. Highway limits are either 100, 120 or 130 km/h (depending on different circumstances) but I usually drive 15-20 km/h faster than that. 150 is no exception, but only if it's safe to drive that fast, and quiet on the roads. I never speed in municipalities though. And luckily, I never got a speeding ticket.

Fun fact: fastest I've driven was 205 km/h (±130 mph) on a German highway with no speed limit.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that like a green arrow to give left-turners the right of way?

Oh, and one question for the Canadians here, when I was in Ontario, traffic going straight through an intersection all yielded to left-turning traffic when the light turned green, and then sprinted through the intersection before it turned yellow after everybody had turned left. Is that the norm throughout Canada?

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I drive pretty fast, usually.

I wouldn't say that there are a lot of fast drivers in this area, but they are ridiculously brain dead and dangerous.

I have been driving for about four years, and I could have easily been in dozens of accidents by now thanks to stupidity.

13. Data

Data Guest

Yuppers.

So, say the light is green for the street you're on. As you get up to the light, it turns red. The next light to turn green will be the green arrow for the people wanting to turn left off of the street that you are currently on. Then the arrow goes away and the perpendicular road gets the green light, and then green left turn arrow. Then your street gets the green light and you are able to pass through the intersection.

While the light is green for the straight-through traffic, left turners can proceed if the coast is clear. TONS of accidents occur because of people edging into the intersection, not seeing a car or motorcycle behind the opposite lane of left turners, and pulling out in front of them. It's terrible going through a major intersection with everyone wanting to cut you off and turn left in front of you. :bang:

14. Techno Kid

Driver's Handbook

Driver's Handbook

Are either of these rules what you are talking about?
    If so it seems like that is around in all of Canada.
    Right turn on red - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. Jared

I go quite fast, in LA I generally drive 75MPH and the speed limit is 65MPH I think. The fastest I've gone in LA is 105MPH on the 405 going down the hill into Sherman Oaks. Driving on 5 going to/coming from NorCal I generally drive 80+MPH and the speed limit is 70MPH. I've done a 500 mile drive in 6.5 hours :slight_smile:

I think the fastest I've ever driven is 140MPH on a country road near my house in NorCal. I've done all this in my 3-series :slight_smile: Though I've gone 100MPH in a 45MPH zone (most I've gone over a limit) in Oregon before when I was driving my mom's 5-series.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it was a Mercedes-Benz S Class ad in the late 80s that said something about the car being able to "shrink 500 miles of European roadway into a routine 4 hour run." Or something like that.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as speeding goes, I have to go at least 10-15 over. Otherwise, I'm constantly tailgated and people pass me. It's nuts. The cops in my town don't care about speeding at all (maybe if you're going about 30 over), but park in maybe the wrong area and you're slapped with a 25 dollar ticket.

It's even more insane in places in my area. Where there's a 35 mph sign with another sign saying "Any violators will be fined with at least $75,000" everyone is going 55-60. Even on interstate highways to and from Chicago, there are people going at least 75.

And it's mind-boggling how few people get the right-of way. I'll stop at a stop sign and sometimes have to wait for 3 people that stopped after me to go until I can finally move.

I've also been honked at for stopping at a red light twice.

Oh, and in Harvard, a cop passed me after following me for about 15 minutes when I was going 5 over.

So, yeah. Speed? It seems like nobody gives a shit about it. Not even the cops, unless you live in Barrington. Only they will give you a speeding ticket when you're going 3 over.

18. Jared

I'm not that crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and like 70 miles of that trip is through urban areas, so I can't drive super fast

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd have to suspect that the speeds in that ad were ones from Autobahn driving.

It definitely would be crazy driving that fast in most parts of the US. But for whatever reason there is appeal to many in having a car that can go really fast, even if they know they will never go near the top speed.

20. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Driving in cities, I always follow the speed limit but on the Interstate, I'll admit that I keep an eye out for police because I like to drive fast. I got my first speeding ticket when I was 19 for driving 95mph (I've hit 120mph before) in a 75mph zone and not having a driver's license -- I was slapped with a $200 fine. Oops lol
    Here in New Mexico, I feel like there are a lot of dumb people behind the wheel, for example, it's kinda rare to see someone use their turn signals, and many seem to not pay attention to the road signs, like yield for pedestrians.