1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for starting graduate school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gerry, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm starting graduate school soon (going for my Master's degree) and am wondering if there's anyone else here on EC who has gone through graduate school or is currently a grad student. What is there to expect? I'm pretty used to hard work as far as academia is concerned as I've earned a dual Bachelor's degree (History and Psychology). While attending grad school I will be working still as well. If anyone can give any sort of advice or their experiences it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL. Yes. First, a lot of it will depend on the school you picked and its overall culture and vibe. Generally, the better the school, the more progressive it is. At the graduate level, you're truly dealing with adults and a lot of the posing and partying of undergrad days is past tense. People are serious about studying and getting things done, or they get out of the way and get out of Dodge. With most people being more mature, expect personal differences to be more accepted, though there will be some people who won't say anything, but won't be your friend either. Chalk it up to their personal insecurities. Also, you need to schedule some free time, either to take a drive or sit in a nice part of the campus and just savor the experience to decompress.

If you want to talk sex, I personally noticed that there's more sexual tension in grad school. I noticed it a lot more than in undergrad. And it's not about seeing if someone can score, but about dealing with the stress, wanting a form of release, and wanting to feel some sort of connection in a vast academic desert, so to speak. This may sound nuts, but it had more of an adult quality than a teenage quality about it. Be prepared for that, on many levels, if you know what I mean.

#2 Tightrope, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Gerry

Congratulations on your starting grad school. I think you will enjoy it.

I think you are going to find that your classmates have a much more professional attitude. In fact, these are some of the people that you will be working with for the rest of your career, so I think it is important to work with them with a colleagial and cooperative attitude. It still amazes me how many times my path has crossed with my grad school classmates,at work, in the community, job hunting, or on professional panels.

You will also discover that there are a lot of links between academia and the real world at the graduate school level. I would advise your to pursue and cultivate these linkages, both as a learning opportunity as well as a means of building contacts and ultimately job leads. If your grad school offers a practicum or 'in-residence" program, by all means take it!. I know you will be working at the same time, but an experience in your field of specialty should take priority, unless you can kill two birds with one stone.

I hope this is helpful, Good luck to you.

Milan

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, listen to Milan, whose contribution here was more upbeat and broader than mine. After all, I spent the second of two paragraphs discussing sex in graduate school.

You're there to perfect your academic and professional skills, as opposed to your sexual ones (lol), so put your nose to the grindstone and have fun too! The caliber and number of friends I met in graduate school exceeded those of the ones I met in undergrad, if that's any indicator. I think it is.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be taking some of the advice you have offered and plan on keeping as many professional contacts as possible. :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to be starting my second year for ultimately a PhD. It's definitely a lot of work since I'm in the sciences (9 hr work days are the norm), but I get paid to do what I love, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. A lot of older people have said that they really enjoyed their grad school experience because their only concern was doing research, while later on they had teaching/administrative responsibilities and had to actively look for funding (a very stressful task).

+1 to developing contacts and "networking" (the old school way, not just random acquaintances). Many of my classes were pretty challenging, and the only way I did well was by going to study groups with fellow students.