which is your favorite legend or myth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Stripe101

I love the story when Heracles had to preform the 12 tasks.

And Daedalus. I loved the story of Daedalus.

2. vrrml

I love the one about king Vortigern's castle. hardly surprising considering my minor obsession with dragons though.

3. swifter

swifter Guest

the terms sound similar in spanish sorry for my confusion of the words, i wonder if wnyon else knows more about these kind of myths...

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2013 at 10:58 AM ----------

O.O ooooh can you tell me more?

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Odyssey, I remember the first time we read it in high school, I finished it one night.
    It was the first epic story I read.

5. Northern

I've always been attracted to Medusa...

I always felt sort of bad for her, I also think it would be quite interesting seeing what it would be like being her for a week... Of course without getting beheaded because I like my head on my shoulders, thank you.

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In Ancient Greek Mythology, Zeus made mankind with four arms, four legs, 4 eyes, 2 brains, etc. But fearing the power each man had, he split them in half, and cursed them to search for the other half.

7. Data

Data Guest

I LOVE that one. The thought that the other half of you is out there somewhere is chilling. Sometimes when I see an old man and women who are walking down the street together, I think that they have found their other half. True love. I can't help but smile and feel warm when I see an old couple together in public. A lifetime together with your other half. :kiss:

8. swifter

swifter Guest

;-; these kind of legends give me back my spiritual beliefs, and these couples are an inspiration to life as well :'D!

9. Wells

Wells Guest

I like any Greek myth or legend

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the eastern european myths and legends are hte best,because almost all are creepy

11. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoever mentioned the story of Orpheus and Eurydice noted a good one.

I also like the Aesop Fable about the Sun and the Wind and the story of the Roman hero Cincinnatus.

12. swifter

swifter Guest

no african or asian myths?

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said my favorite American legend, but my favorite Greek legends are Arachnia, Pandora's Box, Persephone, Narcissus (that one's funny), The Minotaur, and Icarus.

There is an Asian myth I like about the zodiac where it was pretty much a race, and the first 12 to cross the finish line would be in the Zodiac. At the end, the mouse JUST beat the cat. And so the cat started chasing the mouse (which is why cats chase mice) and the dog saw this happening and chased the cat so the cat would stop chasing the mouse (which is why dogs chase cats, but it doesn't say why they chase cars or mailmen).

14. Dans le placard

I think my favourite legend is Robin Hood. The whole premise of a brave individual battling a cruel and oppressive government to save a hurting population is one that is simply timeless. It's probably also worth noting that I used to go to Nottingham University. :wink:

15. swifter

swifter Guest

i've always thought that Robin Hood actually existed, thanks for breaking my dreams ;-; first Santa then the Loch Ness Monster, then ghosts, then Hell, and now Robin hood T_T

16. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the myth of Narcissus and Echo, there is something that is beautiful about this myth. I also like the creation and flood myths of the Zuni--I grew up listening to these stories.

17. Dans le placard

Hey, it's a legend. Unlike myths and fairy tales, legends have roots in reality. There is probably at least some element of truth in the tale. And as for Santa Claus, there's the legend of St Nicholas, which is a nice story. :slight_smile:

18. Harve

The Bible. Genesis and Exodus are my highlights but unfortunately it gets less interesting from then on.

But because some people still believe in it, it's known as a belief rather than a myth or legend.

19. biggayguy

The Norse legends is where they got the story for the Thor movie. They played around with the story elements but the characters are there; Odin, Loki, frost giants.

20. cali

I've always liked the idea of Heimdallr and the rainbow bridge, from the norse myths.