1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling increasingly lonely...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Holly, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Holly

Increasingly, my friends around me have suddenly started dating. Oddly, I seem to be the 'advice-giver' (I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me being gay), so I hear a lot about it. Two of my friends have gotten together, and another pair have gotten together very recently. I helped a lot with the second pair, and right now one of them is texting me for advice.

I guess it doesn't help that I am trying to get over someone, someone who recently completely rebuked me while at my party... So, I'm feeling really lonely, like I really really want a relationship. I feel the need for compassion, and I haven't cuddled anyone in years...

The thing is, I haven't met anyone, other than her, that I really like in that way. Where I live is hardly the most open place, and there is no LGBT support. While I have come out to almost everyone, I still feel lonely.

I don't know what I'm trying to make out of this post. I guess I just need some advice on how to go ahead with things? How to not feel so lonely? Or maybe I just need to rant, I don't know...

2. Jenn Loves Dana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In never cuddled with some, at school im the biggest loner. I deal with being lonely, im ised to it and hatenthat i am.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same problem, the only advice I've managed to get is from my friend who said to just go and meet PEOPLE, and if I'm lucky enough to find a romantic relationship in there somewhere then great! Apparently England sucks for LGBT stuff unless you're in a big city...

4. melodicmom

First off - here's an ehug. (*hug*)

I think sometimes what we miss most when we're not in a relationship is the intimacy. Loneliness is that feeling of being disconnected from other people, of having no one to open up to or be vulnerable with. As humans, we crave that connection. We all need it so desperately. And life feels so empty when we don't have it. It sucks. A lot. I feel that way too often. It does get better though. Not easier, but better.

The first thing is to reconnect with yourself. Spend time doing the things that make you feel fulfilled and happy. Feed your soul. Nurture yourself. Watch silly movies, paint, cry if you need to, do whatever it is that makes you feel satisfied and healthy and whole. Cultivate a deep and loving relationship with yourself.

Secondly, and in tandem with the first part, is to cultivate relationships with other people and not just in a dating type situation. Put yourself in situations where you can connect with other people. Consider volunteering for something you're really passionate about. If you like animals, consider spending time at your local humane shelter. If you're into people, think about spending time at a local nursing home or hospital. There are a lot of lonely people there too.

And finally, reconnect with the people already in your life. A lot of times when relationships, whether with family or friends, have been there for a long time, we almost take them for granted. It's just human nature. But sometimes there are sides to people in our lives that we never see and all new opportunities to get to know them in a whole new way if we just take the time to look for them.