1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutely fucking exhausted

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hexagon, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Okay, maybe this is a stupid thing to be posting about. Firstly, I recently had surgery, six days ago. Since then, I've been improving etc. I was on pain killing drugs that made me really sleepy, and today, I didn't take any because I didn't really need them. At first, throughout the week, I could barely stand up because I felt dizzy and sick, but that has passed.

My parents went away yesterday, as they do every two weeks for work purposes. And there wasn't sufficient food in the house to eat, so I went to the shop today, which is maybe ten minutes walk away. I felt more or less okay before going, but by the time I'd gotten to the shop, I was pretty damn tired. And on the journey back, I felt like I might not even make it back I was so exhausted. I did make it back, barely, and I was so tired I couldn't seem to lock the door for half an hour.

Whats wrong with me? Maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel as if I should be more capable this long after surgery. I shouldn't have had any of the drug in my body, so I don't think it was that. How long is it going to take to recover?

2. dontuwishgui

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If you don't mind me asking, what was the surgery?

3. Hexagon

Top surgery

4. dontuwishgui

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
  5. did the hospital/surgeon not explain it all to you before you got discharged/released?
    or give you like a written thing saying what you can/cant do e.t.c

if i read right, you had surgery 6 days ago.
    thats not long at all. if its keyhole surgery yeah maybe be back to your usual self within a week-2 max. but you didnt have keyhole surgery at all.

id just rest for as long as you need and gradually build up your excercise e.t.c. dont overdo it. any surgery will usually take a while to recover from, its a big thing.

i dont have any words of advice or anything, but i hope it helps a little.

6. Hexagon

He told me not to lift or do vigorous exercise. He didn't tell me I couldn't walk to the shop. But thanks. I feel a little reassured.

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to add to what flyinhernikes said -

To be honest, I'm not surprised you're still feeling tired. Six days after surgery really isn't too long. And walking to the store may well fall under the category of vigorous exercise - it's different for everyone, considering their own exercise habits, activity level, diet, etc.

Even if you feel fine and pain-free when you're resting, your body is still recovering. It's always frustrating to feel like you're still confined to a couch/bed/etc., but take it as easy on yourself as you can.

And if you really feel like something's wrong, don't be afraid to call the doctor and tell them what's up. :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

It depends on which method they used for your surgery but in general, these surgeries are pretty traumatic and they do take the wind out of your sails for a week or two.

Some surgeons don't always paint an accurate picture about what post-op recovery will be like. The first 72 hours after any surgery are the worst. If you're a week post-op, you can do short walks but we prefer that you not do anything that involves lifting or bending at the waist. The more mild activity you do- like short walks around your yard or on the block around your house- the easier it will get as you rebuild your endurance.

For this surgery, the residual swelling can last up to 3 months. If you do gentle lymphatic massage, it will help hasten the softening of the tissue and will help reduce the swelling.

Fatigue and loss of stamina are normal for the first couple of weeks. If you find yourself short of breath or feeling faint, then you should contact your surgeon.

9. Hexagon

Thanks. I don't think I need to contact the surgeon, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between lymphatic massage and massage. Do I massage the skin or the scar? And do I start doing that now or later?

10. KaraBulut