1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Meet Other Lesbians If You Don't Like Going Out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Precious Venus, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in my 30s now and the nightclub scene just isn't for me anymore but I don't know any gay or bi girls and I'll be darned if I know how to meet them!

I'm not really interested in going to the one gay bar in town and braving the broken glass on the floor, sex in the toilets and lingering smell of sick that permeates everything... I'm not convinced I meet someone there anyway even if I did make the effort. The last time I went I just got a lot of weird looks, some judgemental comments about my heels and a random straight guy (who let him in? :lol: ) hit on me. So disappointing.

So I'm wondering, as a new lesbian (or "baby dyke" as someone very cutely put it in another thread!) in her 30s, how would one go about finding girls to date?

2. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

I think you should keep living your normal life maybe go to a gay area not necessarily gay bars but maybe a coffee shop or something. Just put it out there to the universe that you are looking for a girl the universe will answer one way or another. Also try adding a rainbow bracelet to your outfit that will help get the msg out there. Don't worry about the bad time you had at one gay bar not all are like that mate if you go during happy hour you will meet a nicer group of people. Good luck

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could see if there are any LGBT groups in the area that perhaps meet up and do activities that aren't nightclubs. Alternatively I would say try online dating, im sure there are lots of other girls out there in the same situation.

4. rika

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, attending/volunteering for LGBT events can put you in touch with the community out there. I'm in the same boat as you, being 30 and single (not the baby dyke part though, that was at 18 :wink:) and I don't particularly want to jump into bed with people just because they're available/lesbian.

I don't know if this is a solution but I try to stay on track with hobbies/interests and I do usually keep making new friends that way. Pretty sure most of them are straight though.

As someone else suggested, the internet might be a good (if at times tedious) resource.

5. sigillumdiaboli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My Adelaidian friend told me bout that bar - That bad huh?

6. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, it's not great!
    I have a rainbow bracelet and have set up an online dating dating profile but I don't have high hopes. There are quite a few interesting girls out there, just none in Adelaide it seems.
    I can't seem to find any lgbt groups for girls (there are several for men) either but Feast Festival is coming up (Adelaide's annual pride event) so maybe I'll volunteer as a ticket seller or something.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2013 at 05:31 AM ----------

Ba ha ha, I've just realised how much I sound like "the only gay in the village"!

7. rika

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a gay friend from Adelaide - I just mailed him to ask if he knew anyone/any place interesting (and I specified that you're not interested in random/pointless hook ups :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Will let you know if he says anything useful.

8. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Naww, thanks Rika!

Meanwhile, I know it's a cliche, but I've registered for a roller derby info night and I think I'm going to join! :grin:

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will probably find that all you need is one foot in the door and then you will never look back. Volunteering for the pride sounds like a great idea.