1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outed in workplace by colleague

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jupiter2, Aug 8, 2013.

1. wrhla

I have the same impression as Tightrope. Sounds to me like the guy is very conficted about his own sexuality.

I have never acted remotely like this guy, but certainly when I was younger and more or less totally in denial, I was extremely ambivalent about gay men I knew. I'd flirt but not admit to myself that I was flirting, fantasize about a guy then completely shut down. I can recall times I came onto guys and then acted as though it had never happened, and then I'd be cool toward them.

But there's a big difference between that and harassing someone in the workplace. This guy's behavior has crossed a line, and he needs to be called out.

2. Californiacoast

As a former Human Resources Director for a Hospital system, mediation can be very helpful. Hopefully your HR office is welcoming and confidential. I have been outed at work when I was not ready...it was not fun. I have been the boss of an employee that was very homophobic. I guess the goal is to do the best job you can do and report the idiots. My best to you in this situation!

3. jupiter2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks tightrope, wrhla, californiacoast for your thoughts. I appreciate the support. My sexual orientation is clearly of extended interest to him. Bullying/harassment aside, he enjoys the low key flirting and always initiates it. But if after so long he's not going to talk with me straight (which he's had every opportunity to do) and just use me as a prop (for amusement, control, his own cover, whatever the reason), I have to draw a line.

4. jupiter2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If the truth is that he's struggling with himself and a relationship that's not working, like so many guys here, I'd support him. But not while he's doing this.

5. DesertTortoise

"My instinct and the sum of the evidence tells me there's something reciprocal going on here, " I'd trust those instincts. Sounds right. Don't know how that helps, or what you can do with it. But hard to imagine this kind of reaction (from him), not drivrn by reciprical feelings out of denial and self-reproach.
    I hope this works out for you ... both. People hurt, and then turn and hurt others.