1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Circumcision

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ScatteredEarth, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Hexagon

It should be illegal. But regardless, parents don't own their kids, and they shouldn't have a right to control their bodies. And legal =/= ethical

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

But that erases the rights of the child from the equation. Doesn't matter whether it's legal- the child should have a right to decisions that will end up impacting their health/well being down the road.

3. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Actually parents do kinda own their kids, without parents a kid is basically alone. They control what you do,wear, and say. Not really that much more to ask.

4. Hexagon

No. No one has the right to own another human being. Its wrong, always, without exceptions. But what humans do own is their own bodies, and forced circumcision is a violation of that ownership.

See, if parents rape or hit their children, they get taken into care, and often the parent is sent to prison. Because that parent is violating that child's rights. They don't own them.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Again. Giving a parent complete control over their kids is a dangerous stance. A child also has the right to their own person and agency.

6. ScatteredEarth

True, but some people are sensitive on the issue. I'm circumcised as well because it's more common for us in America to get circumcised at birth. But 'uncut' is more dominant in Europe. I don't think parents should have that sort of control over a kid as it reduces sexual stimulation and exposes the glans to the elements. There are pros and cons to both, but it should atleast be discussed with the child when he has the ability to make decisions for himself.

7. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    IT'S MY OPINION! And, in my eyes you are just being a prick, seriously, it's my opinion. In my eyes, I'm right, you're wrong. You can think wherever you want, cause I could care less. Tired of agreeing with this forum, all you people do is gang up on others who have different belief sets. Like THIS is why I hate the LGBT+ community, "Oh you don't think the same? SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME!!" It gets annoying. I can think whatever the hell I goddamn please.

8. Hexagon

Yeah, and its my opinion that yours is wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, certainly, but it isn't a sacred thing, particularly on a thread that is so clearly open for discussion. I'm sorry you feel offended.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

....You have the right to believe whatever you want. I also have the right to respectfully disagree with whatever point you make. And we both have a right to respectfully debate the other's view.

10. ScatteredEarth

Let's not do this. We need to keep this civil. You are entitled to your opinion, but others sometimes wish to make counter opinions. It isn't as much as a 'shame shame shame' thing as more of 'Lets have a civil conversation and discuss your feelings on the topic' Please don't take things too harshly. Threads like these shouldn't have to evolve into a barbaric assault on anyone for their opinion.

11. yidnah87

It should be illegal. Period. Why is there a worldwide crusade against female genital mutilation while there is none against male genital mutilation (which is what it should be referred to as)? If it's ok to cut off a boy's foreskin, it should be legal to cut off a girl's clitoral hood (not that I advocate that either).

12. ScatteredEarth

Because a male's foreskin can cause issues later on in life, that's the general understanding as to why they do it. A clitoral hood is unnecessarily removed and doesn't provide any benefits whatsoever.

13. Hexagon

No, apparently the american cultural practice stemmed out of a false belief that it prevents masturbation. The belief was held a century or two ago, I don't believe thats still the case.

14. ScatteredEarth

The modern belief is that it prevents certain health issues that don't usually occur if you take care of your foreskin regularly.

15. Hexagon

Yeah, but scientific knowledge is just as prevalent in europe as in american, if not more so. So why don't they routinely circumcise here? Because people use science to justify tradition and culture, not the other way around.

And its just part of basic hygiene. You'd get sick if you didn't take care of the rest of your body.

16. Gen

Gen

Speaking as someone who has spoken to many in the medical community in America, it is widely encouraged because of the reasons ScatteredEarth, previously laid out. Regardless of whether you agree with pre-decided circumcision or not, medically, there is adequate reasoning on both sides.

17. Hexagon

I refer you to the post directly above yours.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm cynical, and so I think the big "advantages" of circumcision are not ones the male to whom the penis is attached, but others. Like doctors who use circumcision to provide this months Lexus payment.

I am against routine circumcision of baby boys. His body, his choice when he's older.

As for potential boyfriends, I would not be picky about what his penis is like. Although, given my age, and my nationality, it's highly unlikely I'd have a boyfriend with anything but a circumcised penis.

19. Gen

Gen

You are correct, but circumcision is still practice in Europe; it is simply not practiced preemptively as in America. The foreskin can be a toss up at times. I am not saying whether I agree with the process being practiced on children, because my opinion is a bit less straight forward and I really don't feel like explaining it all at the moment.

However, the issue I have is with people that claim that the practice of circumcision overall is completely pointless. This ideal is no less nonsensical those that, as you say, justify it based on tradition. Again there is adequate reason on both sides.

20. ScatteredEarth

It should also be noted that there has been a significant decrease in the amount of newborn circumcisions in America over the past couple decades.