1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Sarcastic Luck

It depends on the context, honestly. We're talking about physical acts in terms of discipline. With that in mind, "punishment" and "beating" are two different things.

Bare bottom spankings, actually. About the only time I got welts is from a step-dad I had, but he was just a dick that I didn't respect, anyway. More than anything, it sounds like your parents didn't restrain themselves. I recall being a bit sore initially afterwards, but that went away fairly quickly.

Take a good, long look at my name. It'll tell you a good bit about the type of person I am and the type of comments I tend to make.

Your words weren't really in any context. You just said " any violence". Am I supposed to take it as violence in general, violence against animals, violence against children, etc? Gotta be specific, yo.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed 100%

I think striking a child is child abuse, spankings, belts, hard-cover bibles, whatever. Research shows it justs perpetuates the idea that violence is an OK solution, and thus, perpetuates violence.

It's a backwards notion, and I'm never gonna buy into it.

3. ArcaneVerse

Yes maybe I used the word too freely and without enough clarification but honestly there is only so many words and so many times you can use them over again with out sounding retarded.

Yes I noticed, however seeing as this is a serious discussion, on a serious topic any use of comments like that, to me at least, is a sign of a flimsy argument.

The context is the subject at hand. I shouldn't need to state in every sentence what we are currently talking about, if a point deviates from the subject it is usually noted.

4. ScatteredEarth

It all depends on the child, though. Some children feed off of that sorta thing, while others learn their lesson and understand. While I don't believe that you should use anything other than your hand, I highly doubt that is perpetuates violence as a good idea in a general situation.

5. Beware Of You

I was smacked if I was bad. But that is it.

6. ScatteredEarth

That's all there is to it..

7. FreeFlow9917

No, not at all, i mean i was spanked just for holding in my shits. My brother is horrible though, he spits, hits and says bad words and he is four, and we have to spank him because it shows him what the punishment is it's not violence, it's discipline (Damn Country imbedded it into my head) it always bring a tear to my eye, but i believe in punishment through words, but not too damn harsh because i want to know someday when i have kids, that i love my children but the only way imma reach em, is by giving them a time out, or taking away something, i might spank them but it's to teach them certain rights and wrongs. I used to be mentally abused by my dad, he used call me retard and asshole. But we're cool now, he doesn't say shit like that so i'm happy.

Overall no, i don't believe in corporal punishment, beating your kid for wrongdoing shows abuse and what happens when you try to speak out against abusive parents. Breakfast Club

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2013 at 04:29 PM ----------

Oh wait im going against myself, i don't believe in it 90%

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    corporal punishment is child abuse

9. FreeFlow9917

Wht i am saying is that corporal punishment should be used in a good way, but use it in a gentle way, don't go full out and fucking beat the shit out of the kid, just a slight tap on the wrist should be enough to corporal punishment, anything over slight spanking on the ass is too far, i.e. whips, switches, belts, and hard slaps.

10. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never really thought of punishing children physically because I was never brought up that way and I've done all right so far :slight_smile:

With regards to parents though, if they want to then I say it's their choice (obviously I wouldn't accept beating a child senseless) but honestly with some children resorting to methods like physical punishment can be the only way to get it into their heads that what they're doing is wrong. Although I feel that more suitable punishments can be as effective that don't resort to violence if they are kept in place. If a child knows that a parent may be lenient on something then they will try it again but if you repeatedly punish them they'll soon learn not to do it.

With schools though I actually feel like physical punishment may be the only way to go at least where I live it looks that way. When I started high school the teachers had a lot of power over students as a result we respected them, but not to the point where we were scared of them (although some were bloody scary!). As I went through high school and sixth form which I have just finished I saw the quality of the school slowly degrade because teachers are getting less and less power. Seriously the kids can get away with anything now and the teacher can't do anything out of fear of being reported and losing their jobs I've heard of kids spitting in teachers facing, swearing, assaulting teachers etc. Before I left earlier this year my teacher would tell me they didn't even feel safe walking around the school any more because they can't do anything as a result many are transferring meaning the school is losing great teacher. That all happened in 7 years, when I started there it was regarded as a very good school, and have heard the same about other schools around here. So I think that teachers could do with some physical punishments to whip the little shits into shape! Just my thoughts.

11. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Corporal Punishment is fine, bring it back.

Child abuse is not fine.

The line between punishment and abuse has been blurred by the do-gooder liberationalist...I say take a stick to those fools that have ruined a generation.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was beaten with a Cane by the Schools Deputy Headmaster & it just made me hate him & want to do something bad to get my revenge :tantrum: so to me it was counter productive & pointless :eusa_naug

13. Hexagon

Isn't that illegal?

14. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom spanked me once or twice, and I'm fine. I don't think that it should be your go to response, but there are times when dealing with little kids that there's no way around it and you feel absolutely terrible when you have to, but there's just no other option when a child won't listen or do as their told. If they don't learn to behave as a child they'll never learn to behave as adults and you can't just tell a child why something that they're doing is wrong and they'll understand. You can't explain to a child why defying their parents can cause terrible consequences. They hear what you're saying, but they don't grasp that "you HAVE to hold my hand in public or someone will take you away" or "you HAVE to mind your parents." They just don't understand why it's so vitally important. And I'm not talking about parents who abuse their children and use violence as a first response, I'm talking about parents that care for the well-being of their child that have to do it. Children don't think like adults, they think in simple terms. Yes spanking your child will cause resentment for about 20 minutes to a couple of days, but good parents only do it because they love their child. I'll use this as an example:

When I was little I never caused a lot of trouble, but when I did my mom tried everything to keep me from doing it. The two RARE occasions that I did get spanked sank in and though I was mad at her I still loved her and love my mom deeply to this day. My little sister is a hellion. I love her more than life, but she will not listen to anything that anyone says. She yells and screams and pitches fits just about every day, but we do the best we can with her. She's been spanked like 3 or 4 times in her life, and it does help some. She's a good child, but she has the attitude of a 16 year old diva. So what do you do when they child won't listen to ANY of your attempts to make peace? Do you just let the behaviour continue? You can't, because it makes for a bad adult if they can't learn to behave as a child. Sometimes it's just a last resort.

Now for older children, they should be reasonable and groundings and other punishments are fine and no corporal punishment is needed, and occasionally you need to scare the piss out of the most awful ones to show them why they're wrong and what they aren't ready for, but for older children you cannot use corporal punishment. It just doesn't work and does exactly what Hexagon said.

That's just how I view it. I used to think the same way, but when my little sister got older and I saw just how bad it is (I take care of her a lot, but never spank her or anything so don't think that) I understand why some parents have to do it.

#34 PurpleRain, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I'd beg to differ on that. I've stopped myself from doing something out of fear of getting spanked or hit.

16. MerBear

But to me, you shouldn't have to instill fear on a child to prove a point. it can be damaging.

17. My cousin who is about 13 right now almost got suspended from school after she beat up someone who annoyed her. The thing is, she's a repeat offender for physical assault.

Whenever she didn't do her chores, didn't get a 3.5 minimum, has a serious issue at school and breaks under pressure, my aunt hits her. My uncle is the protective one. If she even cries, she gets hit. It does make her obedient, but only at home. After visiting the local psychologist, my aunt is reconsidering her parenting style.

The moral is that more often than not, corporal punishment teaches the kid that violence solves everything.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh true, you shouldn't HAVE to. But just because you shouldn't have to doesn't mean it... doesn't happen.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People like to say that that's a negative societal change. Corporal punishment kept our parents/grandparents in line, and they say that if kids today got belted, they wouldn't be so cocky, rude, and arrogant. Today if you take a belt to your child, you get arrested. And I do think it's child abuse, but then again, our parents were beaten into submission and they turned out okay.

20. josh9623

I have a serious problem with the concept. Whenever i was younger if I messed up it didn't matter that just the verbal scolding would have been enough, Depending on how badly I screwed up I would either get spanked, the belt, or a switch. The worst part is that I was never EVER told why something was wrong, just that if I did it I would be in trouble. It really amazes me how such an act of "love" would involve a child crying and screaming in pain. Afterward I felt not only the physical pain but also emotional pain as if I had been violated. Considering that just writing this is making me cry I would say that It had an effect on me.