1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jul 26, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

I seem to have struck a rich vein of ideas from that book I am re-reading. James Hillman and Michael Ventura's We've had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy - and the World is Getting Worse.

Page 96: came across a striking explanation from Hillman as to why writing is a better way to communicate:

"I am not spread out through the network, not so much connected as collected. I'm not so much responding to you as I am pondering indirectly and generating, from my soul to soul, your image as recipient of this letter. I am not really writing to you. It's not the actual you whose voice I know on the phone, whose body I see when we talk. This "you" to whom I write is a visionary, imaginal Michael with whom my imagination is in touch, calling forth my imagination and freeing it from the confines of your actual voice and face."

I like that idea: that writing is an act from soul to soul, that the image of the person I am writing to is someone I imagine, and that image in my soul is of that person's essence rather than his or her appearance.

I have read accounts here of people who have met fellow EC'ers and they relate that it seemed...awkward, as if the words on the screen did not match the face and voice of the person with whom they shared so much.

Hillman goes on: "Let's keep clear the distinction between the vertical connection downwards, deeps touching deeps, and the horizontal connection outwards, beeps answering beeps. The tiny microchips, so light and fast, are the thin silicon wings of Hermes the divine messenger....Hermes both God of communication and patron of liars."

Indeed, most of us are so poorly skilled at the art of conversation, that merely talking to each other has lost its power; it certainly doesn't come close to the power of communicating through a well thought-out letter or even e-mail (or forum post!).

I truly could count on one hand the number of times I have had meaningful and deep conversations with people, and it's been a long time since the last one. That time where the dialogue was risky, exploratory, an adventure and memorable. I am starved for something like that. We need more of that kind of conversation, because we need to be able to converse with our own selves, our dreams, relationships, fears and needs.

Hillman: "Consciousness is really nothing more than maintaining conversation, and unconsciousness is nothing more than letting things fall out of conversation, no longer talking about something-or what Freud called repression." Isn't that really what EC is about? Maintaining the conversation, to maintain consciousness of who we are and why we are who we are. And what better way to fight the repression we've imposed on ourselves than to...just talk about it...

Well, if I can't have a decent conversation in real life, I can at least write and, soul to soul, I hope that those who read these words feel deeply what it is I have to say...

What is your take on this? Who do you imagine when you write and post something here?

#1 greatwhale, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a compendium of everybody I've interacted with, really. It's almost like a slide show, depending on the topic and relevance. I think it's amazing what a handful of years can do in enabling a person to better read and communicate with people. The difference between where I was at the very beginning of college and after two years in the adult workforce, with regard to these skills, was astounding to me.

3. merlin

merlin Guest

Dear Greatwhale,

Having deep and meaningful conversations are indeed rare these days, perhaps because electronic media have imposed a more shallow and faster type of exchanging ideas. I'm not sure it is necessarily worse, because as Labov (a linguist) showed in the sixties, simply because people use different codes, does not mean they are less effective in achieving their communicative goals. I had some but not too many of these meaningful conversations, but I don't mind having them now and then. Many times simple and more shallow conversations can also serve a good purpose. Writing of course is a slower process and provides more opportunity to think before putting it to words (most of the time). EC is indeed a forum where people can relate to each other by expressing their worries, ideas, feelings or support to other members. I don't know about souls (in fact, I don't think such things exist but that's a different story), but I do find that readings stories that connect to my experiences help me to put things in perspective. I always enjoy your contributions because you seek balance in opinions and finding the larger picture. I think that is a good way of approaching many of the issues we face, because we can easily get lost in the minutia of daily frustrations and our anxiety of dealing with the many challenges being queer, especially when coming out. So, thanks for bringing this up and I look forward to more of these philosophical topics :slight_smile:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the compliments, Merlin!

So much of what passes for conversation is, as Hillman describes, monologue, opinions, sounding off, or firing off questions. Then there are complaints, opinions, information, reporting on the news of the day, where you've been, what you've heard..."And lullabies don't help either-singing charming little stories to prevent entering the heart or the mind...All these kinds of talk have to be cured in therapy; they interfere with conversation." And thus, they interfere with being conscious.

I don't think conversation is about reaching a communicative goal, a memo can do that, the conversation Hillman is talking about, and to which I subscribe is that risky, unpredictable series of back and forth exchanges that can change a life...I haven't had a conversation like that in a long, long time...

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One problem with conversation in the US might just be how divided we've gotten, and, with people whom we know, we feel obligated to avoid rocking the boat. Obviously this is mostly a political issue, but it certainly rears its ugly head in other contexts.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true! I think certain people never shut their pie-holes for more than a second lest some original thought from "out there" infect their minds...

And self-censorship rears its ugly head for the sake of being "nice"...nothing like the kind of conversation I'm longing for: respectful, sure, but I want to know and I will pay one the compliment of knowing what he or she thinks.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure I even need one hand to count...

I've had conversations--ones of value, ones with some intelligence--but nothing really deep and meaningful.

I have an unfinished novel that's been half-dead for several years now. One of the real problems that I recall was the issue of intelligent conversation. The characters are college students, and several of them have intelligent conversation and a bottle of cheap wine each Friday night. But how do you write this intelligent conversation when it's not been your experience--certainly not recently? It's almost as bad as writing a sex scene when you haven't had sex. (In both cases, you just have the events take place "off stage" as much as possible.")

8. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Greatwhale, a communicative goal can be very broad, it is not just about getting the message across. So, a memo might serve the latter purpose, but being uni-lateral, it is a very restricted type of communication (as I sure you will agree ;-). The kind of thought-provoking and potentially life-changing interaction no doubts serves a communicative goal, although that doesn't mean that from the onset both parties are aware of that ;-)

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It may be better elsewhere... At least one could hope.

I remember reading an op-ed piece about 10 years ago by a woman who lived in France at one point. I'm thinking as a student in--again I think--the 60s. And over there she found more willingness to talk, even over divisive issues. She knew one person in particular who'd hear an opinion, and rather than fight back, immediately ask, "Why do you think that?" Not as a sarcastic line, but rather "I want to understand better."

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very true! It comes with the idea that we are often taken out of what we think is our selves when we are interacting with someone else, but maybe...we are more ourselves in that context, and the communicative goal emerges out of the dialogue between people who have become more aware of who they are within that interaction!

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes...as far as who I have in mind as I write my drivel, er, forum posts, I generally don't have any vision in mind. Part of this is practical--this is the Internet, and anyone can read this. Then I have had enough writing published now that I'm used to the idea of anyone reading what I say.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's right, most of my quality conversations have been in Europe and the Middle East. It seems there is an old-world respect for language and conversation over there that is difficult to find on this side of the pond.

I remember in Israel that it was most often the Americans who got into shouting matches when those troublesome Middle-East political topics came up. It was as if these subjects could not be handled in as mature as way as the Israelis handled it (not to say that Israelis are calm, just a bit more used to the debates).

13. Linguistic_Geek

I think we are too busy texting, e-mailing, blogging, message-boarding, instant anything etc to stop and have a real conversation anymore. Never mind a deep, meaningful one. I saw a pic once of a basket at the door of a house party. There was a note on it that said something along the lines of "pay attention to the friends who are here". (you were to put your cell phones, blackberries, iphones, etc in the basket)
    I've had a few of those deep, meaningful conversations and they still are with me today. But I agree with you GW, it's been a long time and I long for them. However, I think each of us will have a different definition of "meaningful".
    100 years ago, people had no choice but to write a letter. No phones, no computers, no e-mails, no instant anything. And in this letter you had to surmise a month's worth of a whole family's life. If it was a love letter, you had to, essentially, put emotions and feelings on to paper. Which is harder? Putting your emotions into words on paper that are clear and meaningful enough that the reader will understand or saying them in person and fighting nerves?

I'm a linguistic student and I'm astonished how much language has changed. Both written and spoken/signed. But I must remember how much a)technology has changed and b) the need/use for language has changed.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be time for you to book that flight to Europe!

You'd think that there would have to be people capable of conversation here.

I'm now trying to remember the last time I had any sort of conversation that wasn't light and fluffy. Truly Deep, never, but deeper than inane comments about the weather? It's been a while...

One fantasy I recall from years back involved having intelligent people over for intelligent conversation and tea. (I think the idea might have been my mother's fantasy originally, although she'd probably have been more likely to opt for coffee.)

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I copy a face from a drawing, it is easier for me to copy it if the drawn face is upside-down. By that I mean, it is easier to see the lines and their relationships to each other, and to copy them, if the face is not recognizable.

In the same way, the distance that writing imposes, allows me to see the inner being that I imagine the reader to be, minus the distraction of their physical presence.

Language has always been changing, Guttenberg changed language, and this will continue always, it's fascinating to see how this has accelerated in the past few years...but it seems to me that there has been a qualitative degradation in our conversations for the sake of convenience...am I wrong?

#15 greatwhale, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  16. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, too, long for deep conversations and courageous discourse, but I find many people are uncomfortable engaging in this type of dialogue -- just as I am often uncomfortable and frustrated trying to join informal, everyday conversations (it's that introversion thing). Really good conversations value careful listening as much as (or more than) speaking, yet I feel many conversations I hear are little more than shallow talk, noise for the sake of filling what is perceived as uncomfortable silence. I do enjoy having conversations, but it's often tough to find others who don't mind a strenuous journey down a steep verbal path with unexpected twists and turns.

Writing gives me a chance to think things through more thoroughly and express myself more completely. Although it takes time, I think my writing better represents who I am and what I'm trying to convey than my spoken words do. My writing is the distillation of my thought jumble into something cohesive and comprehensible. It's an outlet for the feelings and thoughts that I sometimes have difficulty expressing verbally.

Here in EC, the process of writing my thoughts and responding to others is giving me a chance to sort out all of the dialogue in my head regarding coming out, being out, and living well as a gay male. It's helping me crystallize the crazy mixture of how's, why's, and what-if's that tumble around in my brain so that I can start having meaningful face-to-face conversations and building relationships.

Thank you for listening... :slight_smile:

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's declare, right here and now, that we of the LGBT set (sub-class: "older") will henceforth only bring forth soulful conversations between ourselves and others; conversations so deep that we shall be known throughout the landscape for our fabulous and wonderful insights into relationships and love!

Let us declare a manifesto of sorts toward building a revolutionary cell of deep thoughts and even deeper feeling so that we keep the consciousness of our new selves, our new understanding of our selves, alive!

And with that, I bid you all goodnight! :grin:

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    C'est vrai, plus ou moins. Et si vous avez cette espece d'experiences a Montreal, pensez comment peut etre dans les Etats-Unis.

I'm trying ... I'm trying. LOL.

19. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree that there has been a degradation in conversation. As several others commented, electronic media has greatly changed how we (but not all of us!) interact with each other. We send short texts, we monitor and respond to electronic communication almost constantly, and we expect quick responses. These things have had a great impact, making interactions more frequent but much more shallow--because of their abbreviated nature as well as because they interrupt our other interactions. It takes time and concentration to have a meaningful conversation, and our world has less room for these.

I've heard of the book you're reading but have never read it myself. It sounds very good! It has been a while since I read a book that made me reflect on life in that way.

20. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1 greatwhale (sorry--couldn't resist a non-deep reply...) :icon_wink