1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do your parents think of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by john1b1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ScatteredEarth

A small update: Due to recent events I don't see why my father would be upset if he found out I was Bisexual. There have been one or two occasions where I wasn't exactly the manliest of men, and the most recent occasion where he accidentally stumbled upon this site. But when he blamed it on my brother accidentally clicking on a Youtube link or something we brought up how he would feel if my brother turned out to be gay to which he replied simply: "Nothing would make me stop loving my own children"

I still have no plans to come out to him, but it's now a small possibility.

2. thatoneguy81

My parents currently think I'm straight as far as I'm concerned..

3. ScatteredEarth

You'd be surprised how fast you would want them or atleast someone to know when you join this site. God knows I had no intentions to come out to anyone.

4. lukeluvznicki13

I'm too scared to tell them o.-

5. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    they think im straight

6. ScatteredEarth

So does my dad.. And for now I'd like to keep it at that. I feel like I'm done telling people who I really am for now. The first time was stressful. Besides, it's not like my dad is wrong.. Partially.

7. ross96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My parents are really confusing me now.. they are accepting and tolerant, but they think I'm confused just because I've never done anything with a girl or a guy ,and they say I can't be sure... I know what I feel towards both sexes. My mom is suggesting that I might be bisexual , and I don't like how she differences between gay people and "normal" people..I'm sure I'm gay.. and she also thinks she knows best, she also asked if I want to go to a psychologist which I was thinking about too.. so I can share how I feel with someone not because they think I'm sick or something.. I think the psychologist will help them too to understand all this things and that there's nothing abnormal about gay people.. I think they might be going through a mini denial phase as I said, and I understand that. I really love them and I'm happy that they were so accepting and cool about it ,knowing what other parents do to their children when they find out , I consider myself lucky but I have mixed feelings of how I feel.. I don't feel as if a weight fell off my shoulders after coming out, but I believe it will get better with time, or at least hope so.

8. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They still think I am straight so... No problems.

However when I tell them... There will be hell to pay (They are super-christian's).. :/

9. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

My mom is very supportive love her

10. Aielar

My mom said that nothing would change between her and I, but then didn't seem pleased when I said that I'd told pretty much everyone who mattered, told me that I probably didn't know for sure since I have a developmental disability. That was over a year ago, and now she doesn't remember anything about that awkward conversation, so I'm just letting it be and doing my thing :slight_smile:

11. Eatthechildren

My mum isn't homophobic... But I think she is a bit Bi-phobic. I don't think she believes me.

12. ross96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My parents also don't want me to tell anyone... they say sooner or later they'll know and think I'm confused, I think they aren't pleased with that but they say they support me and want me to be happy. I'll give them some time.

13. Epiphany101

Australia, perhaps I'll reveal more....Later. ;)
    My parents think I'm Gay for the most part, my sister thinks I'm bisexual and everyone else has probably never really asked.
    It's kinda strange that no one really cares. =/

14. Jameson

My mom knew I was gay before I did.

15. FreeFlow9917

Well my mom is 50/50 only because she likes to crack jokes but she always is shocked when it comes up

16. saint rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i didn't tell them about it cause i dont know what will be their reaction :icon_sad:

17. starfish

Other than the day I came out to them, we have never really discussed it.

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been pretty much my experience as well. They are supportive and that's all that matters to me.

19. OhSOCurious

My Dad tried to conform me through religion and tried to force me to repent. Also he saw my sexuality as a mental disorder and asked the youth pastor to "counsel" me. Also i was pretty much restricted from the outside world.
    When i went to my mom for help, she took me in with open arms and supports me fully (thank god) And sometimes her and my stepdad show it too much. Like my stepdad feels the need to say "...and i'm not saying gays are bad..." when ever were in some sort of discussion that brings up the topic of sexuality. But i feel as though its really thoughtful and i enjoy their support.

20. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I'm straight and they know it, with is a relief for them, but what they dont know is that i'm planning on supporting the lgtb cause. They are open minded in many areas, and they have a friend who is gay, but they think homosexuality is a sin and are against gay marriage and adoption and all that, they think its some modern corrupt trend.

It has been sort of annoying lately: as i have been developing some empathy for lgtb community, meaning i take personaly any insult or damage done to them, and since a controversy related to lgtb in my country it has become frequent for my dad to read us some argument or article against the LGTB. That is without him knowing he is actually shoving down my throat something i dont agree with.

This is why lately i have been thinking of expresing what i think, thus coming out as an straight ally, i know he wont react badly, but its possible that he will retaliate with arguments and im not really into debating with him as he is very good at that so i could end unsure of what to answer as i usually think slowly of what im going to say. Well i dont know how to explain why i dont want to debate with him, but to put it simple, it could get extenuating, he wraps you with words.