1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University freshers 2013

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Islander, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Harve

If you're living away from home, you're open-minded and willing to make friends then it's impossible not to.

Don't get me wrong, it's still great that I'm here but I wanna start it all over again!

2. TSN2012

I'm so glad someone made this thread. I still don't know if i should come out when I go to college. The thing is, while my dad told me that it's entirely up to me to do what I want, he strongly suggested not to come out. I was actually planning to come out when i go off to college but since the conversation with my dad, i'm not so sure anymore. My main goal has always been academic and career-focused though, and so maybe there might be no point to coming out. The only reason that I wanted to come out in college was because I went through a phrase where I wanted to be in a relationship when going to uni(and so coming out would increase my chance). But then suddenly, that thought just disappeared and now I couldn't care less if I get into a relationship in college (or even 30 years after). I will have to see when i'm actually there.

3. Amerigo

i think your dad is wrong - you can be gay and single, that's perfectly fine. you don't need to parade the fact that you're gay in order to get attention, you can just accept that it's just one part of you :slight_smile: i think you should be honest

4. TSN2012

Hi there! Thank you so much for your advice :lol: I have definitely accepted that being gay is a part of me and have no shame in it. And over the recent months, I have developed this feeling of 'pride' which i'm sure the LGBTQ people can understand. But like we all know, homophobia is still out there, whether in college, or after you graduate and start working. And if being in the closet doesn't mentally affect my mind, maybe there's no point in coming out for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:? The most important people in my life (my family) already know that I'm gay, and so I don't see the benefits of other people knowing that I'm gay (even if i have to lie a little). Of course, if being in the closet to everyone affects an individual mentally then he/she should definitely come out. This is a topic i find very interesting though (coming out in college, to new people, in a new environment etc...) and so i will definitely be waiting for what people will say!

5. Ticklish Fish

Congrats to everyone who is going to be a freshmen!

personally I'll suggest deal with classes/schedule/stuff first before organizations, idk

6. Islander

TSN2012 - are you going to university in an accepting area where you will be safe to be out? If so then I don't see why you should not be out. Not in-your-face out, but not hiding either. Ultimately it's your decision.

7. Rolando4

I'm so excited to be starting college in about 20 days! I'm hoping to be so much more open; I'll wear a wristband (if I can find one), and definitely join the LGBT group! I can't wait to finally make LGBT friends haha.

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two more weeks, and I'm out to my Roommate. He is fine with it, doesn't care. :thumbsup:

9. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not out at all and I don't know if I'm going to come out or not... I'd like ot and at the same time I wouldn't...

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I the only one that's scared shitless of this whole "off to college" thing?

11. I am going to college in a few weeks, in the fairly liberal and gay-friendly city of New Orleans. Also, the college I am going to has a big LGBT presence, but with what is happening now in Louisiana with gay men, I guess I will have to be a bit more careful than I thought. I will probably come out after a few weeks. I want people to get to know me for me, and not some stereotype, which has happened to me before.

12. BornInTexas

No. I'm pretty anxious, too.

13. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so stoked for college. I know one person there, and I met her when she was super drunk, so I don't have to tell any friends I'm gay! I leave in 16 days for another state, and another chapter of my life. The stoke is high.

14. Islander

Is anyone else worried that if they come out at university then it will somehow make it's way back to your parents (if you are hiding the knowledge from them)

15. rose94

Not worried about it gettinh back to my parents no.

Scared out of my wits about starting uni though! Two weeks until A level results day- arrgh!

16. Islander

Ahh A level results! I need AAA but keep having dreams that I get something like A* A*D

17. suninthesky

If you're already out to your family, there's no reason why you shouldn't be out at college. Unless you go to a really really religious college, it's definitely not a big deal at all. Even my college is religiously oriented and it's really accepting.