1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vocal range and Style

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 1Jake2, Jul 23, 2013.

1. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be cool to know your vocal rage and what music genres you like to sing!
    I'll start. My vocal range is E2 - E4 and I like to sing either Pop or Alternative music.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never got the xn stuff where x is a letter A-G and n is a number 1-9. But I can sing as low as an A on the bass clef and sometimes can get up to an octave above middle C on the treble.

Oh and I like to sing Classical stuff.

3. LinkLarkin

I'm something like D2-A4 (chest voice), although I really need to work on strengthening myself at the extremes of that range! My preferred genre is musical theatre, although my current choir sings exclusively classical so I have a lot of experience there.

4. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    F3-A5 is where im comfortable, though i can sing C3-C6... at E-D-C3 its more of a very very quiet roar, and at B5-C6 somedays I can't do it. On a really rare occassion (havent screwed up my chops with soda/other bad beverages/food) I've hit up to F6.

F3-A5 is pretty much everyday I can do it. B5-C6, if i warm up for like 10-20 minutes (don't usually "need" to since most of what i sing doesn't require above F5 anyway, but just to test myself) D6+ is where i hit falsetto, im a bit of a weird case i suppose. Most guys I know can hit F5+ with falsetto. I think the reason my voice is so used to high notes, is that i got into japanese music when i was like 11, esp. vocaloid. Most of the music i listened to was very very high pitch. I could sing that pretty much effortlessly, and as puberty hit, my speaking voice lowered, but my singing voice stayed almost untouched. One song, meltdown had a C#6 that i loved to hit... best part of the song, the verses were all c4-d5 ish, then the chorus jumped up to the upper 5th octave and beginning of sixth. Ugh that song was my favorite song for the longest time :3

I'm not that "versed" in all of the technicalities of voices, but i can pretty well blend head-chest voice up to F5. Higher than that (like G5-A5) its exclusively head voice. C6 is a bitch to do without falsetto, but it can be achieved if im warmed up on it.

When i was younger i could hit whistle stuff, and every few weeks or months when im just... singing a ton I can do it, and its not painful, but i forget what it feels like to do it, so i lose it again for weeks/months xD

Back on topic! I mostly sing J-pop, anisong j-pop, j-r&b, operatic literature (that i can find and do haha!!!) musical theatre work, etc etc.

Not in a choir (couldn't take one when i was younger, had to choose band and since then i cant find room on my schedule :frowning2: Gonna be in show choir though, LOVE show choir!)

Anyway yeah :grin: I sound like a weirdo singing super high pitched giberrish, or super dramatic musical themes from my room @ 5 am (like now :3)

I like to think i have more singing ability than the average joe... and my ability to tell pitch (its not perfect persay, - its learned) --- and tell if they are flat/sharp make me kinda better than some people at it.

However, I sound ridiculous xD i have trouble singing with a serious voice, and my real full chest voices ends at C5 i think. I find it easier to transition past C5 if i sing in a mixed voice sort of tone from C4 (middle C) and onwards up the scale, - thus my singing voice sounds mostly girly. My singing voice is ridiculously annoying apparently... which is sad lol.

When I was in a show choir this summer @ band camp, i sang 1st tenor using just my chest voice (so i wouldn't stand out or w.e) and some of the notes were too low for me, and i loved all of the higher notes :3

#4 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. gavguy

gavguy Guest

I just wanted to say congratulations to all of you who can sing, the amount of vast vocal ranges possible is stunning, I cannot sing and I think it's a wonderful talent to have.

6. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

Its never too late!! (unless you've permanently damaged your voice, and even then its not "totally" impossible)

I don't claim to be a professional singer... i just have a very unusually developed singing voice xD

I think almost anyone is capable of learning to sing.. If you were really invested, you could sort of teach yourself. The internet is an amazing place if you weren't already aware (*hug*)

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could say I found my vocal range. My voice is really weird. I spent part of my chorus years in the soprano section, then found myself with the altos and I ended the year near the tenors.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I seem to be an alto/second soprano. Tends to fall in that range. I've got the voice quality to be an alto (husky, jazzy) but have a pretty wide range. I've done 1st soprano before.

Honestly, my singing voice is one of the few things I like about being female bodied. It's kind of nice, honestly... I used to think being a soprano was the hallmark of a good "female" singer. :lol:

9. nostreborem

E2-G4 mainly modern stuff but also some nineties rock and pop oh and 2000's pop :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. nostreborem

11. thesharkamander

If middle C is C5 (I've also seen people use C4 for middle C.) then my vocal range is E4 to... C7 or higher? (I've never tried to go higher because by C7 I have to sing quite loudly up there, and anyway, I never really need to go that high.)

12. Bolin

My vocal range is about A2 to G5 (or A5 on a good day). I don't have a very deep voice... >_> I like singing opera and Korean pop (yes, what a contrast).

*Note* I used standard tuning for the violin familiy for my vocal range, so I don't know if it's the same as what others are posting, lol.

13. Martjain

I can sing without warming up E2-F4. I'm a baritone :grin: I like everything, from cuban music, dubstep, pop, rock, opera. Though I mostly sing rock and sometimes pop.
    Note:I'm using middle C as C4.

14. nostreborem

I don't know when i measured this in my previous post but nowadays if i warm up properly and extensively, i am able to reach from a C2. More often than not, if i do triadic ascensions from a note in my alto range upwards i can reach a G5 and very rarely, i am able to reach an A#5/Bb5 and i am attempting to train my voice to try and get higher, i'm ultimately aiming for a C6 so that I have a complete 4 octave range although most of my tenor range is a bit wobbly if i am going directly from my contrabass notes to a B3-C5 as i usually forget to change the vocal technique as it is a range that my vocal chords, essentially, had little to no exposure to as my pre-voice break was a soprano and within a fortnight(2 weeks for any USA members :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) of my voice starting to break, i was teaching myself to do normal bass notes(A2-G3) and found that i could rarely hit a C4 to begin with but yeah, now i've trained my voice and i just need to polish it off before it completely sets by the time i turn 18. So... um yeah i can't believe i was able to talk about my voice for this long but somehow I managed it XD

15. julianne

I'm not sure of my actual vocal range and I'm not warm enough now to test it. I'm a fairly high soprano, but I've also got a pretty big and warm chest sound which I'm really grateful for. I'm a vocal major, so I sing a lot of classical and opera rep, but I also sing musical theatre, pop, and write my own pop/alternative/indie music. I guess you could say I'm pretty versatile :slight_smile:

16. Jenna0780

E3-C6. I usually like singing Jazz/Blues songs, like Ella Fitzgerald kind of stuff. I also enjoy Christina Aguilera's voice.

17. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Working on the basis that C4 is middle C, I have E3 to D6. My schooling is in the classical tradition.

18. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine is E3 to about A5. I used to be able to sing till F6 a few years ago when all of were training for Phantom of the Opera at school, but I've completely lost that, well and truly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: if I practiced regularly in that range I could probably get back to C6ish but I'm lazy.

19. BornAnew

E2 - E6

Of that E2 to A4 is chest voice...im trying hard to increase it enough to hit an A5. Head voice takes me up to E6

I have hit D7 in the whistle register before...but its not consistently reliable!

I love singing songs from whitney, mariah, celine and leona!! And a bit of modern pop, alternative rock!

My dream is to perfect celines all by myself one day haha

#19 BornAnew, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  20. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    C2 - E6. I enjoy and feel most comfortable singing poppy/electronic songs, new age stuff, and jazz.~

EDIT: Assuming C4 is Middle C