1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here plan to get married?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Would you like to get married one day?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Maybe depending on the guy

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. No

12 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. KhanSaheb

My partner and I were not able to get married. We wanted to, and it had everything to do with the piece of paper. Here are a couple of examples as to why (the monetary amounts listed are from the mid 1990s):

1. "D" and I each had our own cars when we met. After we moved in together, and when it was time for our annual registration, we decided to put them both in both of our names. To do so, we were told that there was no cost if we were "related by blood or marriage." But because we weren't, we had to buy new tags and do a whole new registration. Each vehicle would cost us $163.

2. We decided to hyphenate our names. A straight couple doing this has it included in their $20 marriage license fee. Each of us had to go through the following steps required for a legal name change. a) Publish a notice of intent in a local publication for two months. b) Get fingerprinted and have a background check by the local sheriff's office. c) File a petition with the court and swear that we were not changing our names in order to defraud people or creditors. d) Stand before a judge and a courtroom full of strangers to declare our intent and reason for the name change. The total costs involved, for each of us, was over $700.

3. We had made every effort to protect ourselves with estate planning. We thought we had iron-clad wills. When he died, the house, cars, etc. were all fine. But his family successfully sued me for half of the amount that was in all of our joint bank and investment accounts. I had to pay them that, plus their legal fees and my own.

4. "D" had a 401(k) with his employer. Had we been married, it would have automatically gone to me. It went to his family.

5. A widow(er) has the right to the spouse's Social Security benefits. Unmarried partners get nothing.

So that piece of paper has nothing to do with saying that you love someone. But not having it cost me, personally, more than $100,000.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I intend to marry one day. I'm very traditional in many ways, and relationships are one. And KhanSaheb, that's horrible. It's disgusting that his family went against his wishes for their own ends. It's a human rights abuse to have somebody's legal wishes corrupted and their rightful will challenged because of sexuality.

3. 2112

I want to eventually, but it's a little discouraging to know that only a little over half of the country supports my right to get married. Hopefully by the time I'd have to start to think about it the percent is a lot higher. More importantly, hopefully it will be legal.
    It makes it officially official! :lol:

4. Blu

Blu

I choose yes and really hope it happens for me but if it didn't I'm sure I'd be okay with that if i never find the right guy.

5. Beware Of You

Guy has pretty much become gender neutral in a way.

6. Lacuna

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe. I still haven't met a person I know I wouldn't eventually get tired of. That's not to say I haven't fallen for people, I have, both gay and straight, but I always knew I could not live with them for the rest of my life. Then again, I am very young and people my age (including myself) change all the time which is probably why I feel that way.

7. LilacRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to get married, because its romantic and i want that dress and a huge cake and a wedding dance :grin: not sure how though, cause i dont have a religion and am atheistic and i dont feel comfortable in churches for some reason. but its even better actually, cause like that i can think of a unique romantic ceremony that involves everything i want it to^^

8. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Marriage and love seems a little impossible for me. So for the foreseeable future, I don't see myself getting married or falling in love. Even though I'd love to get married, in the future if I do find the someone, I will respect my love's choices and that should be entirely up to him. Though, monogamy is very important to me.

9. Salazar

Yes, assuming the right guy comes along.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Never Say Never :slight_smile:

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If my boyfriend and I get that far in our relationship, I don't know. Marriage is a scary word to me and it has me worried if we'd end up being part of that 50% that ends up in divorce. I'm pretty sure being the activists we are if we ever do agree to it that we won't jump on board until all state legalize it.

12. Dani3l

Yes, definitely.

13. jp16

Will do cause we deserve to.

^You have a point but someday you're gonna need that piece of paper to have the inheritance, health insurance, tax, life insurance benefits. Children to have two legal parents(if you ever want a child), and to have legal right to stand by your lover's bed in a medical emergency at the hospital just to hold that hand and to say how much the love you feel in your heart.

14. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

I do want to get married in the future, but it's so complicated.
    My country is so fucked up.. it will take decades :\
    I always think to myself how lucky I am for being only 16 years old.
    I still have a chance to be here and not be too old when my country will approve marriage for gay people

15. kem

kem

I'm not sure yet. I don't see myself having long relationships, let alone being married, really. Maybe I just haven't met the right person for that. I don't know.

16. I hope to get married one day. Since USA legalized federal marriage benefits for gay people and California legalized gay marriage, I'm looking forward to get married one day.

17. BadCanadaJoke

you need to share your story more. I agree with your point 100%. It's about 20-30% about the idea hat you're married and more about all these "little" things that straight couple take for granted and we'd have to pay our weight in gold for them!

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:37 PM ----------

your signature is pure awesomeness!!!

18. Naren

I rate this poll 8/10
    Needs a "fuck yes" option

19. Tlarkul

Yes, if I find someone who is right for me. Even then, I'd prefer a small wedding or no overly extravagant ceremony at all.

#39 Tlarkul, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Though marriage is a social construction and I dislike the government's involvement, and generally have no appeal for the institution, the idea of being a husband is somewhat endearing to me.

Perhaps. If my significant other wanted to marry, I'd likely comply. Mainly because I just wanna be somebody's cute husband.