1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is online dating worth it? Does it actually work.. at all?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hey

So I am wondering. Does all this online dating thingy work or is it any good. I wanna try it but I don't know how to go about it. There's the paid vs free sites thing. The paid ones are way to expensive as well, considering I don't think it guarantees you will find someone.

I'm don't get involved in the gay scene or bars or anything like that so I that ain't an option. I only have one good friend and I only see him at work.

I'm just at a loose end. I want a boyfriend, I want a relationship and everything but it just seems like everything I try which is basically apps, are just no good.

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never done a dating site before but I imagine if you search around enough you can find one with guys who want the same thing you do. There can't be any harm in looking

3. MerBear

it depends on the person really

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Online dating works. Some of my friends found their boyfriend through the popular dating app that starts with a G and I use the other that starts with H. Don't know if I can say their names. It's just a matter of meeting in person after sort of meeting online.

5. BudderMC

No names allowed. Keep it PG-13 (apps/sites are 18+, remember).

Online dating can work, but you have to be careful of a couple of pitfalls:

1) You're going to be judged by people, as with any form of dating, but even moreso because online dating gives people a "marketplace" mentality - people looking to date can "shop around" and pick someone they "like the best" rather than meeting people the old-fashioned way. If you can be honest (ex. not lying in your profile, putting up a picture of yourself, etc.) and can accept that people will judge you strictly on what you have listed, then go for it.

2) You need to be willing to take it offline. Studies show (last I heard) that if you don't intend on meeting offline after about 6 weeks, you start to set up unrealistic expectations of what that other person will actually be like and then the relationship is less likely to succeed.

6. justjade

I've never done online dating, but some of my friends' parents met each other on dating sites. As far as people I know that are around my age, it doesn't seem to work, but that's because some of them are desperate and will date pretty much anyone just so they won't be alone.

7. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ALL of my dates have been from online dating. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I've had decent success with it.

8. leer

I have a few gay friends who have done the dating on-line one found a boyfriend so It does work sort off ''the guy has told a few lies'' been together 8 months. another one had a go and got nothing .I wouldn't myself a few straight friends have tried hook ups and
    they have been successful thats not me either .

9. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Might not work for everyone, I think it certainly increases your chances of finding someone though compared to those who don't use dating sites.

10. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I was only asking as it seems like my only option. If it doesn't work out then I'm stuck with being alone and single for the rest of my life

11. fluffyhandcuff

Don't say that! :slight_smile: You shouldn't online date because you're scared of ending up lonely if you don't find anyone just yet, forced online dating doesn't work.

12. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I don't think it's forced. I mean I'm not gonna jump at any guy that takes a interest it's just my only way. When gay guys who go out on the scene and mix, prints my tend to have more success.

Oh I dunno... :bang:

13. Harve

If names of dating (that's dating as opposed to sex, but of course there's an overlap) sites are talked about on the morning news and daytime TV, surely they can be mentioned here?

Channel 4 recently did a documentary-type thing on Online Dating that's probably worth watching. I thought it was pretty realistic! And then there was a drama programme called 'Dates'. They'll all still be on 4player.

14. LD579

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: It depends, but generally, there are degrees of success that everyone can get out of it if they put in some thought and time and follow through =)

15. maverickhunter

I think they only work if both people are truly committed to that relationship and when there's a lot of trust involved between the 2 parts

16. Foxface

married ten years...met her on a forum

Foxface