1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Music Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GingerGuy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

Im so proud of all of you! Words cant describe how happy I am right now. This thread started really slowly and I really thought it would receive little posting, but you all made it work! Now the musical horizons of hundreds of people will be spread. Thank you!

You know, I actually saw this concert on television! Even though I dont think Vanessa is the best singer out there, shes a good interpreter and an even better person. It was amazing, in the middle of the concert she called Caetano Veloso to the stage, and the public, including myself, cheered :lol: Yep, Tom Jobim was a genius. I think he would be really ashamed of modern Brazilian music if he was alive, though. So far, no one from a more modern generation comes close to him, and the biggest brazilian sucess abroad is Ai Se Eu Te Pego (Oh If I Catch You), which quite honestly SUCKS. Thankfully, there are still some voices that shine and use their creativity, such as this girl, who began her career in 2010. Did you know this song was used in FIFA 2011? xD

Tulipa Ruiz - Efêmera - YouTube

I saw your video of the japanese singer, and it definitely deserves more views. However, I checked out the rest of her music and she seems to be pretty popular. And so pretty too! I think asian music is also really impressive, when not contaminated by the expendable pop industry. This is another good japanese artist:

Snow-Sakasama No Chou [Sub. Español] - YouTube

2. Kaoru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ That's a really good song, I don't know much about modern Brazilian musicians lol..but Ai se eu te pego also (unfortunately) became very popular in my country haha.
    I didn't realize Mika Nakashima's video didn't have many views..maybe because it was uploaded recently. She was very popular in Japan back in the day.
    I've heard of Snow before but never really payed attention to her..the song seems nice..just not my style lol

Here is a song by a musician from Chile called Elizabeth Morris.
    Elizabeth Morris - Darte luz - YouTube

3. Lonely Soul

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is truly a wonderful film. I watched it during my world music course, unsurprisingly. You're totally right about La Caita. I love the ending song. Here's another great Gypsy band, Kalyi Jag.

[youtube]qqeNxdyp5CE[/youtube]

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Lonely Soul

I loved this arrangement! I kept singing along to it.
    Haha this song is great!
    Oh, it's nice to see someone who speaks Portuguese, even if a bit, outside of Brazil! Bom dia (even if it's night here now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)!

8. Kaoru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. kem

kem

more unconventional Finnish music:
    Kuusumun Profeetta- Ei aurinko milloinkaan laske - YouTube

I wish I could translate the lyrics but I don't have the patience for it. It's about God and existentialism and right and wrong and beautiful. If you don't understand it just enjoy the vocal harmonies XD

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Kråkesølv is a Norwegian group I've been fond of for awhile now.

[YOUTUBE]z7-mWxJcYAo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]86BLHwg_DIE[/YOUTUBE]

11. Kaoru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #32 Kaoru, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  12. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I. Love. This Thread. Im american, but japanese music is my true love when it comes to music in general. @ Kaoru (nice name btw :3) That song was really good!

Its live, and sung brilliantly.

The song is a bit melancholy, and about feelings after love ends... in specific terms, relating back to falling love while watching Fireworks

[Subbed] Hoshizora to Tsuki to Hanabi Mizuki Nana Live Union 2012 - YouTube (Hoshizora to Tsuki to Hanabi no Shita) - Under the Starry Skies, the Moon, and the Fireworks.

The fireworks that come in @ the end really kill me everytime I watch it. This video is conveniently subbed as well :slight_smile:

Some other songs :

kanon x kanon Calendula Requiem - YouTube Calendula Requiem. A duet by a neoclassical j-pop/dark ambience singer Kanon Wakeshima and Kanon - the bassist from an on hiatus band anCafe.

Shes a trained cellist :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ24gQKzkhU - Secret Secret by Perfume (a techno-pop trio)

Im loving all of the amazing music posted here!
    French especially ^_^

#33 PrinceOfAvalon, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  13. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think its from Romania but it is in english
    [YOUTUBE]ryxd76dYMlA[/YOUTUBE]

14. miaclaire

Out Status:
    Some people
    there's this artist from toronto named marianne baker whose songs i really like, but she's very obscure. so obscure that i couldn't even find this song on youtube. (but actually my sister and i thought she was super famous because my dad played her album all the time when we were kids.)

Connect to Independent Music

15. AAASAS

Well if anyone could represent my heritage in song it would be Gramatik, a Serbian-Crotian-American born musician who dives in Turbofolk from south eastern europe. This song right now is guaranteed to have a sound DIFFERENT from any song out there. I have yet to hear someone twist Serbian music into hip-hop instrumentals.

Anyone from the Balkans; whether it be blood or physically, will appreciate this. Reminds me of my extended family, weddings, events, anything to dowith my grandparents.

Balkan Express

[youtube]BHBWlJg4uGY[/youtube]

Haven't heard a sound like this in my life... so original. If you like hip-hop, dance, or dubstep you will like this and I can guarantee you haven't heard anything like it. The breakdowns are insane.

[youtube]BaCFv3wdGpg[/youtube]

As for Canadian music, there isn't really a specific Canadian sound, though Folky Country kind of sums it up. A band I think really takes on a specific Canadian sound is Tragically Hip most Canadians will know them, but doubt anyone else would.
    Here is my favourite song by them, it is named after a small cottage town in my province I have been to a bunch of times, and just reminds me of hanging out with my friends in the summer.

[youtube]o6QDjDPRF5c[/youtube]

This song does a good job of representing Canadian country folk. Great song, great message, LOVE THIS MUSIC VIDEO and I think music videos are the downfall of popular music. Can you get anymore Canadian than this music video most likelynot. Guy gets chased by a polar bear in a pine forest.

[youtube]MqkWnnPjzv0[/youtube]

I love this song.

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2013 at 04:45 PM ----------

Forgot about Blue Rodeo

This song is a love song, but I still like it though I usually don't.

[youtube]hkMaBy6EX0w[/youtube]

and R.E.M The lead singer of this song is GAY by the way, another gay artist who gay people won't look up to because they're too busy listening to crap

[youtube]xwtdhWltSIg[/youtube]

I think if people listen to TragicallyHip, Blue Rodeo and R.E.M they will get a feel for a unique Canadian sound that does exist.

It is almost bluesy, folksy, country, rock.

#36 AAASAS, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  16. AAASAS

REM isn't Canadian, have no idea how I assumed they were, never looked them up personally.

They're from freakin Georgia, but sound like they're from Ontario.

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This takes some beating :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]u07eiHLwDxQ[/YOUTUBE]

18. fluffyhandcuff

19. GingerGuy

Lets revive this thread, shall we? World music is too big to be forgotten so soon! I found this yesterday, and I think all of you guys would like to see it. Its a beautiful bossa nova ballad sung by a girl with a small, but delicate and beautiful voice. She was a really nice and interesting person when she was alive, but sadly, she died of a brain tumour in 1989. Why all the good musicians have to die young? Still, here it is. The lyrics are about a woman who interrogates her husband when he comes home late from work after having cheated on her, but since she loves him, she forgives him anyway and bakes him a sugar cake.

Nara Leão - Com Açúcar, Com Afeto - YouTube