1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should marriage be sacred?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sguyc

I don't like the idea of marriage. I find the whole thing ridiculous. "No man, I can't leave her, were MARRIED!" The same person wouldn't think twice about dumping a long time girlfriend. Its silly.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with sguyc here. Marriage is about freedom of association. If you want to get married, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine too. If you want to separate, that should be fine. Separation doesn't destroy marriage. It's just a recognition that two people are incompatible. People don't have a duty to associate in ways they don't want to.

Just as people should not be barred from marriage, they shouldn't be compelled to stay in unhappy ones.

Also, I happen to think that marriage is not the most important issue facing our community.

Ziester Adrian.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing is sacred. There is no god, and nothing is or can be holy.

4. Hudson

I'm sorry, I used to be all "OMG MARRIAGE IS A RELIGIOUS THING AND ONLY BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN." Then I came to terms with my sexuality, released how much of a freaking idiot I was being.

My parents divorced a few months before I was born - both were married previously to that, and it made me realize, as I got older, that marriage is just a term.

What matters is LOVE. Doesn't matter if it's straight, bisexual, gay, trans, whatever. LOVE is what really matters - marriage just grants some nice tax breaks - but in reality, the term "marriage" has been dragged through the mud so much it is not worthy of being considered religious, etc.

Just my two cents.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you wish to see it as sacred, go ahead (I do), but it can't be considered sacred officially. That's bringing religion into an essentially secular institution, which is a bad idea. What's sacred or holy is entirely subjective, so trying to make marriage itself, as an institution, sacred, isn't going to do anything.

6. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    On one hand,You should bebable to divorce...on the other hand it should be a serious emergency, no one should marry with the intention of divorcing after a few years, you must be at least 90% sure your marriage is going to work, otherise marriage is just dating.

If you dont plan to make a effort to make sure the relationship endures throught life then dont marry, marry only when you have this strong intention a passion toward spending your life with that person (or atleast of trying with a strong conviction that most probably you will succeed).

Take your time, it doesnt matter if you marry at 35 or after.

7. bipossible

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Marriage is a social construct. It only has the power and "sanctity" that we as individual and as a culture give it. We create rituals like marriages for a variety of reason —*to receive public affirmation of ourselves and our union; to fit into a cultural normative expectation; for the legal and social benefits; but I would venture to say that most people get married in order to obtain a false sense of security that they will not be abandoned or rejected. The thing is that there are no guarantees in life. Relationships are living breathing organism and it is when we try to restrict or control their growth that we rub up against conflict. I have been married for 29 years. I am sooooo not the person I was when I got married nor is my wife. We have changed as people and our relationship has changes. How can you sanctify something that is so impermanent and fluid? You can't. What you can do is hold all your relationships lightly, give them room to evolve, and commit to the intention of being truly honest and authentic while in them. Being authentic and being truly present in the moment is living a sacred life, not a cultural constructed ritual or legal document.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Marriage should be Sacred, Divorce is nothing more that a get out clause which should only be taken in extreme cases such as abuse, other than that, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, in sickness & in health, til death us do part, if you take those vows you should mean it, not drop them at the first sign of turbulence, when I take a husband, it will be someone I want to grow old with :slight_smile:

9. Jonathan

Marriage should be what you make of it, not what others tell you it should be.

10. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm very laissez-faire on this issue of love. I think any action of true love for one to another is sacred as it's always pure and untainted by greed nor avarice. Whether it'd be something small like walking your friend home in the rain because she has no umbrella or something big as marriage.

And I think since marriage has been around long enough and people understand the importance of it, it should be up to their own interpretation as long as they don't impose it on one another.

Even though I'm laissez-faire I would like to get married, if I find the right person, and they want to get married. I'm not too forceful on marriage.

11. chrisV

yeah, it would be a shame to ruin the sanctity of britney spears' marriage that lasted 55 hours. </sarcasm>

seriously though, people shouldn't push their interpretation of marriage on other people.

#31 chrisV, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. SecretlyASloth

To this day, I never understood why the Christian church in particular were so keen on this issue. It's not as if they invented the concept of marriage. I don't see any prehistoric conceptual patent making marriages strictly Christian.
    Anyway, I would like to still think of marriage as a more serious matter, something that you do only when you think you can really love a person and spend the rest of your life in partnership with them.