1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you to develop feelings for someone online?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jul 16, 2013.

?

do you believe you can develop feelings for someone online?

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. maybe

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. I dont know/care

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Idek1204

I think so. The girl I like I met online and I thought I liked her before we even met and before I even knew I was a lesbian

But I think it depends on the closeness of the relationship whether its online or in real life.

There was once a guy I met in real life who was another friends house mate, and I was hung over and we were talking for under 5 minutes, and I haven't met him since, but he decided he was in love with me and told a lot of people.

In this case, it feels more acceptable to like the girl I met online more than the guy irl. (Even if I am a lesbian but let's ignore that fact! I don't think I could fall in love with anyone after speaking to them for a couple of minutes)

2. MerBear

some people tell me my feelings aren't real so ....thats why i asked :confused:

3. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

You sure can. My best friend is online, I love him with all my heart.

4. MerBear

a lot say it wont work out though. this girl who im interested in lives an hour away from me. do you think that could work?

5. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

You could just ask her out, like in real life. Just an idea.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've done it (they were superficial feelings though), we met in real life and it reinforced and created those and other feelings :slight_smile:

7. Sarcastic Luck

Yup. I had a two year relationship with a guy that lived several states away. We flew out and saw each other. Eventually, we did break up, but it was a mutual agreement since we both had found someone else and didn't have as much time to talk to each other. We had agreed from the very start that if one of us found another, we'd tell the other and decide what to do. Even with that, we're still great friends. We don't get to talk as much as we'd like, but I trusted him enough to tell him my situation. He was absolutely cool with it.

8. MerBear

what do you mean?

9. Taiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why of course you can!

10. MerBear

I mean, i guess it cant be proven or disproven

11. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I mean if you're only an hour away from her, ask her to dinner and a movie or something.

12. MerBear

I should but I have to get my license first...

13. George

This sounds exactly like what happened to me.

I have gotten very close to several internet friends over the last decade. It was always in the context of an MMO, so we would spend enormous amounts of time playing together and chatting. On each occasion I started getting these strong feelings for them, like there was nothing I wanted more than to have them in my life and to be the best of best friends. Well, back then I didn't accept that I was gay. I didn't even let it be a possibility since I didn't match the "gay stereotype" and I was raised in a family that considered being gay to be absolutely unacceptable. That, coupled with me being an only child, led me to conclude that I wanted these guys to be my brothers rather than boyfriends.

I even went so far as to become internet "brothers" with these guys. We pretended like we were actual bros to everyone else in the game. For the guys I did that with it was just a little fun thing, but for me it was very emotionally powerful. It gave me a plausible reason to say things like "I love you" without it coming off as gay. The love was very real too.. many nights I would go to bed and just hug my pillow really tightly, pretending that it was them. This went on for years, and all the while I dreamed of meeting them in person. When I actually did meet them it was so amazing. It's a really remarkable experience, meeting a best friend for the first time in person.

Anyway, it's pretty clear to me now that I really wanted these guys to be boyfriends. I recently told my parents about this (at the time it was completely hidden) as part of my justification for how I knew I was gay. We argued over the cause and effect - they believed that my close "inappropriate" friendships made me gay, rather than me being gay initially and then seeking out guys to fulfill my needs. Of course I know they are wrong though, because I had some pretty serious crushes on celebrities and guys at school even before I got into these online friendships.

So to answer the OP, yes you absolutely can develop feelings for someone online. :slight_smile:

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about the train? Do you have one nearby that could get you from your town to hers? It shouldn't be that hard, really.

To answer the OP though, I met my boyfriend on Skype in November and we hooked up in December. I've seen pictures of him on Facebook and also some that he's sent me, as well as a video of a LittleKuriboh/MasakoX Panel where he asked a question. I can say for sure it's all real and everything lines up, especially for the fact that his friends have tagged him as "the innocent one" or "the nice one" on Facebook in those pictures with a lot of characters. He's pretty much portrayed himself the same way through our chats with and without video. He is also VERY romantic. Early on, I thought he was going out of his own way to be that way. I can now say for sure that he's just that romantic XD

Are there flaws to him? Of course there are, but I won't let that get too much in the way. He's not malicious, nor is he entirely clingy. We both have our schedules that we have to fulfill (especially him) because we're both editors. He just finished a feature film and is now working for BBC on an upcoming show with Ian McDiarmid. And while he is Christian (which I, of course, don't completely agree with), he also isn't completely radical, nor is he a Creationist. Basically, his idea is the same as mine: As long as the other is there, we're fine.

Now the real test will be when I arrive in England to meet him in August. If we're still as close as we have been, then we both know marriage is going to be considered much more seriously than we'd been thinking (And we were thinking pretty damn serious about getting married). If things don't go so well, we will both know that the relationship held a good amount of ground, but still had some shaky beam in it.

I also know my aunt has been married for a good few years now to someone she met online. And while the guy posts a lot of bible quotes, he's also not radical. In person, he's probably the epitome of goodness. So I do know this shit is real.

15. MerBear

Yeah but I would have to get to her house from there...i could get a txi to take me there

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely think so. When it's on the internet, all there is is the person's personality. It's easier to be yourself because you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You're not distracted by appearances or social surroundings. The majority of my friends are from the internet.

As for romantic feelings, I don't see why not. ******** seems to work well enough. People get married from sites like that.

17. ArcaneVerse

Of course you can. My best friend lives in the US and I live in Aus and we met like 10 years ago now and shes the most important person in my life. She gets me the in ways no one else does.

I have like no real life social skills and social anxiety soo bad that talking in forums, online chats, IM's, FB and email etc all make me anxious and can give me panic attacks, so you can imagine what its like face to face. So I'm beyond grateful for online communities and the abilities to make connections through the net.

In saying that I dont think online romantic relationships work out unless there are concrete plans to meet and connect regularly. Then if its serious there has to be a viable solution to staying together in person.

Living an hour away is relatively easy in regards to LDR, its more like Medium distance. Not that its any less frustrating but it offers more hope and better solutions to maintaining a relationship. You dont have to meet right away but do have a clear idea of how you can meet in the future.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There ya go. You're sure you'll have the money?

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have... Multiple times -.-

20. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Yeah, it can be very real I believe. It has happened to me more than once, and hearing the other side of things, and knowing my feelings-I believe real relationships can be born online.

But, of course in order for them to ever progress-some kind of real interaction needs to happen such as meeting in person.