1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you tip well?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeyAshley, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a rule that I set myself for giving Tips to Taxi Drivers, if they speak to me & have a conversation with me on a long journey & reply to me when I speak to them, then I tip them :slight_smile:

If they ignore me & put on some foreign language radio station that I cannot understand or a live Sports coverage of some sporting event, then they get no Tips :slight_smile:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't remember it for my first post here, but in my restaurant working experience, we have what is called a "tip share" system. Calculated based on the total sales and credit card tips the server makes in a shift, they have to contribute some of that money to the bartender and hostess, because they make less than minimum wage as well and don't get as many direct tips. So if somebody pays their bill with exact change, their server is paying out of pocket for them to eat.

I think the reason behind a tip system is to motivate servers to work hard, but other jobs get paid by the hour and the people filling them work their damnedest. Why should we put our livelihoods in the hands of strangers' generosity when other industries need not? I'd welcome a switch to the European way of paying restaurant staff.

3. vyvance

I tip some. Just depends on the service. I have no set % that I tip though. I rarely think waiters do a great job though, so I rarely tip great.

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I always tip good, unless I'm short on money.

What annoys me is, when I tip good, or give money to homeless people ( even the greedy ones ), I get called "Stupid" or get told its unnecessary. I mean what has it got to do with them? its spare change, I don't mind.. learn to share ... bitch

5. justjade

I tip pretty well. I've only had one instance in which the service was so terrible that I didn't tip at all, but normally, I tip around 20%. If someone does really well, I leave more.

Chip, I hear what you're saying. It's the same with pizza delivery drivers in some places, which is even worse because a lot of the time, they have to drive their own cars using their own gas.

My uncle did pizza delivery for a while, and he said that the poor people always tipped, but the rich people like doctors and lawyers never did.

6. The username

20% rounded up.
    I don't think I've ever had poor service in order to tip less than that yet. I try to not eat out much.

I used to tip 40% ($5) for haircuts, but started doing 15% due to less quality hair dressers. I'm probably going to switch haircut places soon...

#46 The username, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another reason I tip as well as I do is the fact that I know server's in Texas make $2.13/hr but that is taken away due to taxes and whatnot, therefore I know that all their money comes from tips. And I feel bad that if I don't tip well enough, they're basically paying for me to eat there

8. Harve

Apparently if tips do not add up to $7.25 an hour (the minimum wage elsewhere), then the employer must make up the difference. Does anyone know how well enforced this is?

If so, then I've got less of a problem with tipping culture. But it does just go to show that the tips don't go to the staff (unless they exceed $5.13 per hour), they simply increase the business's profit margins as they reduce the amount they have to pay out to the staff.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The foreign ones are often the most interesting, at least to me. They all have a story. As for cab tipping, that one stays constant, since being driven somewhere doesn't change much from driver to driver. However, restaurant service varies more from server to server.

10. HeyAshley

it may sound ideal in your head, but in reality it's for the best that it's not like this. all the people who sit in your section when you're serving are responsible for the money that you make. so if you want to make good money, you're going to over-perform to work your tip from people.

dealing with the general public isn't easy and when it comes to serving if you're making an hourly wage, nobody would care as much about the service they give to people knowing that it won't effect their paycheck. nobody would want to be in sections with bigger tables or pick up extra tables without the incentive of making more money. if you ever worked a serving position, you'd completely understand. but having no serving experience, i can see why your mindset would be like that.

we have that where i work, you tip a certain percentage of your sales to bartenders and hostesses every night. about the second part of your post, if you're good at what you do, putting your paycheck in the hands of stranger's generosity is way better than receiving a weekly paycheck. i average $20-$25/hr on the weekends (weekdays are more around $12-$15ish because it's not as busy) and i don't have a college education at the moment. there's practically no other place that could pay better than a serving position. however, there's plenty of other servers that i work with that bitch about their tips all the damn time. if you're not good at dealing with people, it's definitely not a career you'd ever want to consider.

it's 100% enforced where i work, but i work for a major restaurant. i'm not sure how well it'd be enforced in small market restaurants or diners/cafe's.

11. biggayguy

I usually tip 20 percent unless the service is horrible or the server has a nasty attitude. Being known as a good tipper gets me great service at the local pub unless they are very busy

12. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Yes always leave a tip and the amount will depend on the overall service received.
    I think showing your appreciation is important, but if they are rude or just don't care then maybe I might consider not leaving one.

13. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always make sure to tip at minimum 20%, good or poor service. I never worked as a server but I can't stand how much they are underpaid over here. If i had a job like that i would want the same courtesy.

14. Gallatin

Totally agree. When I get American taxi drivers, they pretty much act like I don't exist until it comes time to pay. But the foreign drivers I had, have been the opposite. Probably the most interesting driver I had was a guy from Iran. He didn't speak the best English but we still had a great conversation. I don't really think he quite grasped the differences between Middle Eastern driving and American driving, either, as he was quite happy to go on the sidewalk to make turns at a red light. :lol:

As far as tipping goes, at restaurants my usual tip is 15%, rounded up. The service has to be really bad for me to go below that, and that's only occurred once, and I still gave 10%. If the service is very good, then I'll give somewhere between 20-25%. And if its exceptional (which has only happened once) then I'll give upwards of 30%. For most delivery drivers, I give a flat $2, unless they get here really quickly, in which case I'll give more. But even if they take a while, I still give $2.

15. HeyAshley

how much do taxi drivers make on the hour? i guess i've never gave that much thought about tipping a taxi driver, just because i have my own car. i'd probably never think much into tipping them because they make a wage. (i think?) thank god i only call a taxi if i'm hammered with no way home and i'm always generous when i'm drunk so i'd like to think that i've tipped well in the past.

16. Ridiculous

I have maybe had bad service once in New Zealand and we have never tipped. Not having tips doesn't equal bad service.

Employees should be paid properly. They should know what they are going to get paid and it shouldn't come down to external factors and luck like whether they get a generous customer, or customers at all. What happens if no one comes in that night? They just get a few dollars because that is all their employer pays? Awful.

Why are people serving in restaurants a special case anyway? Why are they treated differently to every other job? It's silly and unfair. Why isn't someone on customer service hotline paid in tips? Builders? Government employees? Because it would just makes everything difficult for everyone involved - just as it does for people in service.

17. HeyAshley

just because someone isn't paid via tips doesn't mean that the service will be bad, but by using tips as an incentive - servers over perform to creative a fun and welcoming atmosphere for their customers. which is ultimately, what a business wants. besides, if you raise food prices in order to compensate for paying servers, it'll only hurt the business. the more expensive something is, the less likely it is that someone will order it.

maybe things are just different in other countries. but i love the way the server life is here.

18. biggayguy

Years ago I was told you should tip the cab driver a dollar a bag for each bag the driver helps you with. It should probably be two or three dollars a bag now.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US, it depends on the state. In most states, there's no requirement that the employer make up any difference between tips and minimum wage. California is one of the few states where the minimum wage for servers who get tips is the same as for other retail workers ($8 per hour or so.) In many other states, it's $2.13 to $3.50 or so.

Here's where I have a huge problem. There is a social contract in the US, that when you get served, you pay a tip of 15 to 20% of the total. If you don't have the money to pay the tip in addition to the meal, you don't have the money to eat out. The server is doing his or her job with the expectation that s/he is going to be compensated according to custom, and when someone argues they're too broke to tip as an excuse for ripping off the server, it isn't OK.

For people outside the US, the concept of tipping is completely different than it is here, because in most other civilized countries in the world, servers do make a reasonable, somewhat livable minimum wage. Not so, here in the US. And there are a handful of restaurants that have recently tried going entirely away with tipping, adjusted their prices accordingly to factor the tip into the bill, and pay their employees a fair wage that equates to minimum plus what an average tip would be. Unfortunately, in most cases, the experiment failed miserably, because competitors appeared to have cheaper prices and the restaurants ended up losing business.

Government could solve the problem by simply declaring that all restaurant employees get the same minimum wage as everybody else (as they do in California and a handful of other states.) However, the dumbassed Republicans, who are bought and paid for by business owners, are up in arms against anything that ensures that the people on the lowest rung get any sort of protections whatsoever, and kowtow to the (utterly false) claim by big business that it would ruin them and they'd go out of business. So basically, the profits of the big chain restaurants, owned by big corporations, are borne on the backs of the servers that make 2 bucks an hour and rely on those of us who eat there to pay them enough in tips so they can earn at least minimum wage. And when people cheap out... they're screwing over the waitstaff, plain and simple.

If the service is really abysmal, then write a note to the server and explain how it fell short, and leave an appropriately small tip. But I suspect the above statement is more of a rationalization for ripping off the server than it is about truly having bad service.

20. Hudson

Usually 20-25% if the service is good.

Less for bad service. I have been known to leave no tip at all... or the more insulting... 2 cents as a tip.