1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is human life really worth anything?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Nick07

Hmm, I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I have never removed suicide from plausible options (you know, a good plan B). I believe that our life is as worth as we make it.
    The only problem I have with this theory is how to persuade myself that it is worth to make something of my life. Because even when I do something good and nice, the satisfaction is always short and the majority of my days is just ... existing, not living fully. No long time happiness or goals worth staying here. :icon_sad:

2. iHateThinking

Human life, when compared to the infinite scale of the universe, is really insignificant. We are just a small group of intelligent space-monkeys on a spinning rock that orbits a flaming ball of gas, which orbits millions of other stars and a possible super-black hole, which orbits millions of other galaxies. And even in comparison to the whole of humanity, an individual human life can be seen as almost naught.

HOWEVER, in the same vein, each human life is also a precious gift. Each human is unique and special in their own way. We, as individuals and as groups, have the power to make changes. We can choose to live in a life of insignificance, or we can at least make the effort to try and make something more of it. It is quite true, at least in my belief, that you only live once, and as much as I hate to quote the modern #YOLO, I hold it to be true. Humans especially live a unique kind of experience, one that most animals (as we are aware of it), do not get to have. We have the HUMAN EXPERIENCE, and if other alien/sapient exist, they have their special experience too. It can sometimes be awful, terrible, and so hurtful and hateful. But it can also be joyful, glorious, amazing, and worthwhile. Highs and lows will always occur, it's just the nature of things.

It may be hard to see that value, but it's there. It's up to the individual to decide what their life's value truly will be.

3. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Human life is worth as much as you make it worth. I know we live then die after facing all the struggles and barriers in life.
    My way of thinking we are here now we should enjoy it as one day we wont be here so if we going to die anyway why not make the most of living.

I used to think what is the purpose of human life really but as I am here and still alive may as well make the most of it theres that saying 'you only live once'.

To sum it up in reality Human life is not really worth anything but to keep the balance in the world just like animals and insects live to keep the balance in the world we do the same.

These kind of topics I like as there really is no real answer just opinions.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always find these questions far more interesting, and revealing, than any possible answers...You ask good questions, Beware of You, always food for thought!

Let's examine that word: "worth", what does it mean (in the context of your question), exactly?

You talked about being valuable to society...since when is the benefit of others our primary concern? If you answer "I want to be useful", you are really asking to be used...or you say "I must have a function in order to be worth something", you're really asking to be a functionary...

We measure worth now in terms of utility, value added, in bean-counter terms, such as "return on investment", and that most detestable phrase: "one's net worth".

Fact is, you have no idea what effect your existence has on others...maybe your function in life is to fly that plane one certain day, which helps someone to reach a destination because he or she really needed to be there, and that somehow made all the difference to another life...

What is the worth of a baby's laughter, or the loving embrace of a grandmother? What is the worth of a beautiful sunset, or listening to your lover's heartbeat?

We aren't "worth" anything...we just are.

5. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah thats true puts a different perceptive on the meaning 'worth' like i would like the change the word to purpose. Humans have a purpose to do something if it something small to something life changing.

For example someone about to cross a road and there a car speeding another person realises this and prevents that person crossing. If that person was not in existent things could of been different.

This is just a basic example out of the thousands we are here to do something that may not of happened if we was not here thats some of my thoughts.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this and was thinking this would be another abortion thread...

7. Incognito10

Well, I am atheist/humanist, so I do not believe my life is worth anything in the traditional sense of "let me earn points toward my after-life reward"; however, as I mentioned, I am a humanist and believe in focusing on my potential and what good I can accomplish while I am here. I love to help people, make ethical decisions and make people happy. I enjoy my job in healthcare because I feel like I am making others lives a little better and improving the future of humanity, even though I'll be gone someday. Think of your potential. Yes, I believe life only has the meaning that we give to it--everyone is different though--I don't judge anyone elses path or decisions. Try studying up on "humaism" and "existentialism."

8. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This quote, "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." seems appropriate for this situation. The amount of effort and hard work and fun and laughter and joy in your life is what is important.

9. Techno Kid

Think of it like this maybe? We are the only known being that can understand the universe and one day explore it.

I think that makes human life pretty special! :slight_smile:

10. apostrophied

Well if it weren't, I don't think people would be spending billions on trying to create it (fertility treatments) and then billions more on trying to save it (cancer treatments, international aid, suicide prevention, etc.).

I think we can only understand just how precious it is by talking to someone who might not be alive for much longer. The dying could probably teach a lot to the living...