1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gaydar a real thing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jp97, Jul 6, 2013.

1. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

2. VelvetEYES

I think it can be a real thing. Spotting a gay man for me is like spotting an elephant in the room. Very easy. Finding the girls...well I can't. Not unless they are butch I can't tell just by looking at them. So my gaydar is of no use.

3. maverickhunter

Gaydars don't really exist. It's just judgement made from common sense and personal experience (I'm not saying whether it's a good or bad thing).

4. evora

Yes, it is real! But sometimes I can't read it right. Not even when someone whispers loudly next to me that she likes girls like that. I've had that happen in an empty store...Still didn't believe her (although I was in the closet at the time).

5. robotman

I don't think gaydar is real. I mean you cannot tell if someone is gay just by looking at them or having one conversation with them, its just not realistic... Like some gay people do stereotypical gay things but just cause they do does not mean you can say "my gaydar is tingling, they are gay" it just doesn't work like that.

6. sweetness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

7. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck finding this elephant :dry:

8. sweetness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yess I believe in the gaydar as most would say. I guess really I never paid any attention to how it is possible it just is with me. When Im around someone who I know is gay well I guess I just can feel it it's really hard to explain an then also it's how they usually would react to you i have been a lesbian all my life and really with these times boy o boy hell you would really never know sometimes but with me more times then not I know

9. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    My best friend swears by it ( shes straight for all i know) I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, then again my best friend has hinted that she thinks i like girls for 2 years now. If it is I think i must have misplaced mine.

10. MoyashiAlice

My mom seems to have a LBGT/ any-sexuality-that-is-not-straight radar. She can always tell when someone isn't straight but has a tough time identifying exactly what their sexuality label is.

11. Quaiv

Hexagon's probably right about the definition. Mine works... sometimes. Like yesterday. I enter the shop, see the optician, and all I can hear in my head is "gaygaygaygaygayGAYGAYGAY - okay, shut up, stupid voice!" (he wasn't flaming or anything; but it was confirmed when his boyfriend-no-we're-only-friends came in).

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it's real. I'd say almost everyone has it by their 20s. For those who don't, they might wind up barking up the wrong tree. And heterosexuals have it, too, especially if a person being evaluated, male or female, racks up quite a few stereotypical traits. Mine works most of the time, and it has even worked on bisexuals, who might be married or have a significant others, yet are just too attentive - it's just an interesting way of proceeding, and I've been fairly on point about what they were looking for. In fact, the question I have is what wouldn't cause someone, anyone, to develop it?

13. HeyAshley

unconscious overservations, lol say what......

14. LinkLarkin

The most commonly quoted reason for gay people having gaydar is that, like women, they have a very keen eye for detail and so they pick up on all the subtle hints that somebody is gay. That's just another stereotype though; I daresay I'm the least observant person I know. For example, I would never ever notice somebody wearing a wedding ring unless I was either looking for it or something they said made me think about it, and the ability to notice wedding rings seems to be enormously common between women and gay men. If I happened to like a guy then yeah, I would probably pay a bit more attention to him, and then my gaydar may become operational, but if I was just passing somebody in the street then I wouldn't give them a second thought (unless they were mincing, of course).

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If it was i would have a girlfriend a long time ago i just keep running into straight chicks if there is one mine must be broken

16. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always wondered about this I see some guys who I think are gay. The only reason I think like this is because we all have a perception of what a gay guy is. The thing is someone can fit a description but does not mean they are gay. Some people come across gay but are not gay just comfortable with who they are.

That being said I think some women have Gayders but thats just me.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agreed with other parts of your post, except for this. I think that most adults, if they have an extended amount of exposure to someone, including a brief conversation, notice the presence or absence of a wedding band. They just want to size up who they're dealing with. On several occasions, I've heard married guys I've worked with say "Oh yeah, that supplier or (name of so so) is single, I think. He's not wearing a band." Similarly, I'm sure the same thing has been said about me. All married adults seem to notice it to some degree, from what I've noticed, though married women notice it more than married men.

18. AmericnPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gaydar is real. I can pick up guys and only some women. It may be easier for women to hide.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've often heard of women saying they're able to easily pick up on gay men, but not so much with lesbians. I think a large part has to do with gay male visibility: everyone seems to know of at least a few stereotypical portrayals, and the guys are generally a lot more "out there". When it comes to identifying lesbians, I'm a lot less clueless, and even when inside jokes pop up, I'm at a complete loss.

There are theories out there that support the idea that women are predisposed to being able to accurately gauge whether or not a man is gay or not, and one study suggests facial features alone might be enough. It would certainly have some reproductive advantage, though results are mixed.

20. Ritor365

If it is then I demand a flipping refund.

It's more or less just looking for clues I guess. I can sometimes guess right, but the other half of the time I couldn't be further from the truth :/