1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LinkLarkin, Jul 6, 2013.

?

How would you describe your diet?

1. Meat eater

52 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Meat reducer (no red meat)

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Pescetarian (no meat)

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Vegetarian (no meat or fish)

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Vegan

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Fruitarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The only times I've gone vegetarian is like only one day during the 15 days of Chinese New Year to "cleanse and detox" my body from the amount of food I've eaten.

I've tried going vegetarian before in my recreational time, but I don't have the willpower to do it. Plus, soy imitation meat is pretty expensive. I've lasted about 4 days on no meat and lard.

2. justjade

I do eat meat now, but I was a pescetarian there for a while.

3. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really want and thrive to be vegetarian but my parents "Won't cater to my wants." They think it's silly.

4. LinkLarkin

:icon_sad: That sucks, you can always make sure you have vegetarian lunches and things and just put up with meat for dinner for a while, and maybe give it up when you go to university/move out.

Or... go on a hunger strike until they take you seriously! :icon_bigg (That's not my official stance btw).

I was really lucky in that my mother was a meat reducer so I was brought up as a meat reducer and so didn't have all that much trouble in telling my parents I wanted to be vegetarian. And since then I've even convinced my mother to join the cause!

I hope it works out for you in the end though. (*hug*)

5. sexyalex

I live 2 and a half miles from the shore line. Maybe less than that. So fish is a easy and safe choice of non-hormonal protein for us to eat. Needless to say, sushi is one of my favourite foods and i've stopped eating meat since 8th grade.

I am also lactose intolerant. So I don't consume dairy in any form. But I do consume eggs and products with eggs in it. :3

All in all, one less chicken and cow to worry about their life in my department.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm recently vegan, only for about a month now. I've been a vegetarian for almost a decade already, a pescitarian before that, a meat reducer before that, and a meat eater before that.

7. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do eat meat although I don't like it. I would probably be a vegetarian or at least meat reducer if given the choice but because I live at home I pretty much take what I can get.

8. Gen

Gen

Wow, I though there would be more people in the Meat Reducer category with me.... Anyway, I am intolerant of red meat. I can eat it, but I'll suffer hours of pain and nausea for it.

But I mean, doesn't that just scream Gay!. Imagine being at a barbecue and the small framed, fashionably dress, gay male rejects everything that is cooked, because "Oh, my precious stomach can handle all these rough meats".

My life....

9. Gibson85

In fact tonight was on the rare time i ate red meat. it was hamburger on nacho. but I prefer to eat only fish or chicken if i eat meat

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat all meat, but if i had the choice to, I wouldn't eat red meat often. I don't like it as much as white meat and fish, and it does make me feel a little ill. My doctor told me that, thanks to being unable to eat gluten, that I need to take care of my diet a lot if I go vegetarian, but I'm not really sure if he was right.

11. srslywtf

At one point in time I agreed morally with veganism, I never acted on it though.

Then I actually bothered to think / learn about it and you'd be amazed the number of creatures that die in the process of growing plant-based food. not humanely slaughtered, but poisoned/starved/etc

I try to only eat meat that's been allowed to live freely rather than penned up, but I'm too poor for that fancy stuff at the moment.

My diet is highly tilted towards meat at the moment because I'm trying to lose weight and high protein/low carb is the best thing that's worked for me.

#51 srslywtf, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  12. Sarcastic Luck

This is true. I've lost count of the dead animals I've found in hay. Usually, it's small stuff like mice or rabbits, but I've also found snakes and once a hawk.

About the only way to get food that truly doesn't harm animals is to grow your own garden. Tends to be a bit cheaper, too. Parents put in a small garden this year and between the lettuce/tomatoes, I think they've already saved close to $100. Not back when you take into consideration that the seeds were 99 cents and the tomato plants were probably $5 each.

13. Hexagon

Yes, but to sustain a diet including substantial amounts of meat, more plant food overall must be grown that would be necessary to feed just the human population. This is because, obviously, the livestock must be fed. I believe that approximately 10 kg of plant protein is required to produce 1kg of animal protein. Thus, by that argument, if the process of making plant food kills animals, veganism would be the ethically sound choice.

14. timo

I would be a good vegan, if only I didn't like meat as much as I do... I hardly ever eat cheese or eggs and drink mostly soya milk (Alpro Soya red fruit is SO GOOD). I have no idea about the details like gelatins and stuff though.

I do plan on cutting down the meat consumption, it's unnecessary to eat meat almost every day and it's the more sustainable way to go. But giving it up completely? In all honesty I don't think I could.

Random story: I had vegan kebab the other day, it was the best thing I've eaten in a while.

15. Anshel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm... I haven't eaten any meat or fish since 5. So, I've been vegetarian for 15 years. My mom doesn't eat meat, and I don't know how it happened, but as a child I decided not to eat meat and fish. And I don't drink milk at all, once I tried to eat hot-dog, but I threw up.

16. Sarcastic Luck

This is assuming that all animals are fed hay or grain. The majority of the goats that my parents send to the meat market are about seven months old. They've been on the tit followed by grass. No grain or hay.

17. LinkLarkin

Again though, that's just your parents. In the meat industry as a whole, an unforgivable amount of resources are wasted on breeding a few animals for Western people that could be used to feed dozens of starving children in Africa. Some people go vegetarian specifically in protest against this.

18. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was bullied out of vegetarianism by my friends, enemies and family a couple of years ago. Now I have this secret project to make my parents eat less meat without them realizing. It's kind of a slow process but it's actually working.

19. TheSeeker

I went vegetarian about three years ago in the Peace Corps because I was tired of the parasites I was getting from local meat. To this day, red meats and chicken turn my stomach. I recently moved to an island though so I reintroduced fish and seafood into my diet...

Morally, have no issue with animals dying so we can eat them so long as they lived a natural life first. Factory farming is utterly disgusting. But as a biologist I am a firm believer in circle of life... Just not our warped, twisted version of it here in the USA.

20. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could never do without meat. It's just too damn delicious. And honestly I couldn't care less where it came from.