1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you had any gay teachers, especially ones that were/are open about it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 3, 2013.

1. leer

my history teacher at school mr Drayson he was in his 40's everyone suspected he was gay I really wanted to come out to him but afraid people would find out . Last year I spotted him in Manchester in a bar and i went up and spoke to him had a few beers together said he was glad I chickened out as the school had a homophobic attitude .

2. Night Rain

Yep, my biology teacher in high school. He is loved by everyone. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We had one that was not married, had no kids & still lived with his Mom, he was in his 50's as well, so not really sure :slight_smile:

4. Valeyard

I had an English teacher in eight grade who was gay, and I don't think very many people cared. He was just like every other teacher. Some people loved how he taught, some hated it. His sexuality was never an issue.

5. Islander

I'm very lucky to have LOOOAAADSS of gay and lesbian teachers at my school - I would say about a quarter of the staff are gay :slight_smile:. We have 3 deputy heads at my school, and two of them are gay and lesbian! I get on with both of them very well, and wish that I had the courage to tell them, but I have left now so will probably never get the chance, unless I bump into them at some point!

6. biggayguy

The advisor for our GSA was an out & proud lesbian. There was also the professor from my poetry writing class. He just had effeminate speech patterns and hand gestures. He has a wife but my gaydar sure went off. He also made a point of featuring gay poets in class.

#26 biggayguy, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the replies...this is all very encouraging. For the longest time, I was afraid of trying to enter the teaching field. This gives me hope. I plan to stay with my partner here on the east coast, probably moving to New England in time, because I like a cooler climate and because it's also a gay friendly area. Maryland is nice, though I'm getting a bit burned out on the traffic/congestion, not to mention the heat.

Wow, sounds like you have a really amazing school! I'm happy to see they're so supportive of GLBT students and staff. I think it's important for there to be more openly gay people in all professions, so that it seems more 'normal'. In my mind, this will go far in making GTBT issues seem less taboo and less a source for guilt/shame. The more we see teachers, celebrities, athletes, doctors, policemen, politicians, &c. who are GLBT, the more it will demystify matters, and give people growing up the sense they are not alone, and not some marginal group that has to stay hidden.

I'm going to talk to an advisor in a few weeks, and hopefully start classes part-time next spring. I'll also have to work, so I'll probably be looking at three years, but I'm sure it will go by quickly. I miss being in school, so this is one way to return. I work at a university library, so I suppose I am still 'in' school in one sense. I tend to do best in an academic environment.

#27 HuskyPup, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  8. Holly

My old history teacher basically outed himself when me and a group of friends ran into him while going to cinema. He's generally rather feminine, but he turned to the guy he was with nervously and was like 'Err... This is my... guy-friend...'. I think we all got the picture. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By the way, thank you for asking this question :slight_smile: This is all very very reassuring to me that I can embrace who I am when I start teaching high school students. One question that I have though (and I don't mean to deviate attention away as it's on the same subject): In this day and age, parents are quick to blame if their son/daughter is doing poorly in school and I don't know why but something inside of me feels like parents would have an issue with it if they found out their son/daughter had an openly gay teacher. Did any of y'all's parents have an issue with it or did they just not care as long as an education is received?

Sorry again if I'm "highjacking" this thread, I'd just though that since it's on the same subject, it'd be okay.

10. LinkLarkin

I had a teacher who was gay but not exactly out - he was a bit campy, enough to make people suspect but not enough to make it blatantly obvious. He very sadly died and it was only at his funeral that it was confirmed to me and my friends that he'd been in a long term monogamous homosexual relationship.

11. Holly

It never really got back to my parents, so I can't really be a judge personally. But I think if you are in a reasonably liberal school, such problems wouldn't occur.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, you're not hijacking the thread at all! :slight_smile: This is also something I was wondering about, but forgot to mention. I also wonder about the reaction of principals, administrators, the PTA, and so on. I think much would depend on the school and school district.

My dream would be a liberal/private school for the arts, where all the parents drove Volvos and had anti-war and coexist bumper stickers...though such jobs are a bit scarce :slight_smile: I think I'd have to work up to that. Part of my plan is to develop a publishing record in literary journals, as I go along, such that I have some credentials as a writer. (poetry, mainly)

13. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a college professor who was a lesbian, and she was one of my favorite professors. She made really boring subjects kind of interesting. We're still cool and Facebook friends today.

14. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very interesting thread, since I'm studying to become a teacher for biology and chemistry.
    I myself had no openly gay teacher nor did I or do I know of one, but there were 1 or 2 that we students suspected to be gay. One female math teacher was constantly rumoured about or called a lesbian because she was really butch und tough (in summer she came to school on a Harley). However she was married and had twins (a boy and a girl) that went in my class (not even this stopped the rumours...). On the boy a had a crush for some time and the girl is now an out lesbian.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be out and open about me being gay once I start teaching, but all I read on here really encourages me on my way.

PS: HuskyPup, ILIKECATS: perhaps we should form a club for future LGBT* teachers

15. Candace

My sixth grade health teacher was a "suspected" lesbian. She got fired after our school year since it was suspected that she went into the girl's locker room a little too much.

But this is just a theory, folks.

16. Ragazza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always thought that the gym teacher that I had 4 years ago was gay. Well, she's married to a guy but if she would ever find out that she's a lesbian...I WILL BE THERE.

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm surprised to see how many people have had gay teachers, especially ones who were open about it.

I think my psychology teacher is perhaps gay, since we were discussing human sexuality in class once, and he gave an example of attractions, where he put himself into a same sex senario. Nobody asked any questions regarding it. It would be neat if he is, he's my favourite teacher besides my music production instructor.

18. Colours

I did, it was my French teacher. It was pretty obvious and surprised no one because he talked really feminine. But he made a huge deal out of it. Used up a complete class for his coming out. He told us how he got harrassed by students who knew. He got chosen as gay man of the year on some tv show without him knowing and he told us about him sueing them and all. And how his boyfriend got stuck in jail on some island or something. Pretty dramatic, I really felt for him.

But of course I wouldn't show too much empathy because I wanted no one to know my secret.

19. myFTMtransition

I had a gay history teacher who was 21 at the time. He was great at school, but then our relationship hit a new level outside of school. No I did not see him...my older brother did. Now, they're married and I sometimes call him by his professional name on family outings and vise versa just to tick him off. But then he started called me by my birth given name and I stopped that pretty quick. Other than that, he was out at school, but kept the fact that he was dating my brother unknown. He said that he'll tell everyone after I graduate next school year. Right now, he's just my brother-in-law. It's pretty cool to have him as a teacher and a friend, most of the time...

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I've had teachers that I suspected were gay...but none openly, that I know of. I really wish I did; gay people were invisible throughout my life other than on TV, no gay family members, friends, teachers, anything.