1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do YOU do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hudson, Jul 3, 2013.

1. KhanSaheb

I guess I'm the old guy here. I retired last year after I turned 48.

I got my first job, when I was 13, working Saturdays in a restaurant. That was the beginning of my food service career. I eventually got as high as a sous chef in Philadelphia. But I burned out on that. I realized that I had lost my love of cooking and it had become a job. So I quit that and bought a small trucking company that did local short-haul deliveries. I did that for several years, then met my partner. He and I moved out of the area because of his work, so I sold my business.

I went to work in a call center in customer service. I did that, with three different companies, for the next 16 years. My last job was with a major credit card company.

Last year, I received an inheritance. I've also always been a good money manager and had quite a bit of savings. So I decided to chuck it all and retire early.

I now spend my time doing the things I love. I make quilts. I design and make jewelry. I travel quite a bit. I also spend lots of time cooking and entertaining.

2. biggayguy

You could call me a professional student. I had several different jobs mostly involving computers. However my main goal is trying to complete my undergrad degree. I've been in and out of the hospital so much that it has disrupted my career goals.

3. Sketch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a Full time student, finishing up my Bachelors degree in advertising & Design:thumbsup:

I work at a Barnes&Noble,doing typically about 30-33hrs weekly which is kind of a grey-area in between Ft &Pt, although I'm considering cutting those hrs a bit now as i'm worried about keeping up with projects :icon_sad:

End goal for me is to hopefully explore the world of the Commercial artist, maybe work as a freelance illustrator, join a video game studio as a character designer or maybe attempt to burst into the world of comics(!)

#63 Sketch, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. Ohhai

I'm doing a nursing degree :slight_smile: and to get thy degree you have to work full time on various nursing placements, for free xxx

5. RoguesWolfe

Currently working towards my Cultural Anthropology degree.

6. Tic Code

I'm a senior in high school, taking 5 AP classes, and one Honors course. I'm majorly into music and I'm also a really strong science student. I plan on majoring in Music Performance or Composition at University and then I plan on going to medical school.

7. Chrissie

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a university student, studying a psychology degree and a law degree simultaneously.

8. Rigby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a professional pet sitter!

9. lukeluvznicki13

oooo I want to study law too in the future :slight_smile:

10. IzCassie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm going to be enrolling in a culinary arts program, and later, work as a chef in various restaurants. My dream goal is to own my own Cafe.

If I ever win the lottery or somehow suddenly recieve a large sum of money, I'll travel abroad and study internationally.

11. MegBri89

I'm going back to university to study music business.

12. Quasi

Love the little insights. Fun question, Hudson.

As of late August, I am the Acting Manager of the English Content Department at a public relations agency. Previously, I was their Senior English Copywriter.

I never finished college; took two years of a Marketing & Management Bachelor's degree, dropped out, started an English Literature degree, dropped out, and now I'm not sure whether I should continue. I'm one of those people who don't believe in the value of higher education unless you're aspiring to be a doctor, engineer or something equally technical. Most things in life can be self-taught, which is how things panned out for me. Still, a degree opens doors, so I can't forgo it. Will eventually go back to school once I have the funds for it. Not sure what I want to study, though.

13. blaidd drwg137

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a home health aide for my grandparents. I couldn't ask for a better job, I get to spend time with them and take care of them and get payed for it.. Also looking to go to a bar tending school

14. FranklinK

I model and work full time at a gas station. Thinking about getting my CDL and becoming a truck driver though. I think that would be a lot of fun.

15. Belle

I am currently studying interior design in a few weeks; will continue my education for an architectural degree.

I am actually currently working as an assistant for my dad who runs a custom furniture shop.

16. iHateThinking

Currently a high-school junior, with 2 AP classes, Intro to Engineering, Art 2, Computer Programming, and Algebra II. My super-ultra big dream is to somehow become a really well-recognized artist and hone my skills to their full potential. Beyond that, I want to get into the art field in some way, whether it be movies, graphics, games, etc. If all else fails, I'll probably go into programming or a science (like psychology or engineering, despite the fact I don't feel fondly towards math). I have back up plans for my back up plans.

Working my first job at a Doctor's Office; am a file clerk (or more aptly - file monkey).

17. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Er, I'm currently unemployed and living with my mother and younger brothers, but have my fingers crossed that something turns up soon. Applying for a position at an organic grocery store tomorrow and I think that's my best option at the moment. It beats working fast food and I have a couple friends who've said that I could stay with them for a few months until I have enough money to get my own place.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a writer, not freelance or published yet--but I'm working on it.

19. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just finished my two-year long military service, now I'm off to the UK to study Law. :slight_smile:

20. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to school for computer science and work as a software developer. :slight_smile: