1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appearance and Acceptance.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lostein, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Lostein

Lostein Guest

I guess what I intend to ask in this post is if it's normal to be so critical of your appearance, or if maybe it's just a personal issue. I guess what I'm saying is, is it normal for me to think the way I do about how I look? To elaborate more, whenever I look in the mirror, I always point out the things that I see wrong, or that I think people would think is unattractive to myself. I see every little scar, stray hair, my crooked smile, ect. I get so paranoid about it sometimes that I've missed hanging out with a friend multiple times because of my self analyzing thinking. I just don't know if I'm crazy, normal, or what. :/

#1 Lostein, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  2. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's normal to feel a bit critical about our body appearance due to social media bombarding us with images of what the "perfect body" is.

However, it seems like your case seems a bit more out-of-the-ordinary than most people as you stated that your paranoia causes you to miss out on social functions.

I suggest seeking some counseling as soon as possible as it seems like you might have body dysmorphic disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

3. Lostein

Lostein Guest

Thanks for the link Viridian. I guess it's time to do a little research.

4. Amerigo

BDD perhaps?

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reality is everyone does this. We see out own flaws because they stare us in the face, but most other people don't even see 90% of what we see. But, if a scar or a freckle or a mole is the deciding factor a guy is going judge you on then you're better off without them. People that wear superficiality like a damn suit of armor have nothing within and nothing to offer you, so don't even bother with them.

6. Venturing

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I knew what I did at 18. I picked myself apart, every little flaw. Now that I'm in my 40s I realize just how cute, and thin I was! I try to appreciate what I have now, knowing i'll look back in twenty years and probably think the same thing, lol. But if it is affecting you socially, then it might be a good thing to talk to someone about. Social anxiety, over anything, is no fun.

7. Lostein

Lostein Guest

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It just gets so frustrating sometimes :/