1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What words do you find more offensive in the Gay community ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gavguy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. person57

Omg I hate when people use words like faggot, queer, dyke etc. -.-

2. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This. And I cringe when my friends say "That's so gay".

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend not to be offended easily. Usually it's a context thing, the negative context bothers me more than the word itself.

Faggot, queer, tranny, and dyke are the ones I hear most often. I'm not particularly fond of faggot or dyke in general, I've only ever really heard them in an offensive context (especially dyke, which I get rather frequently when I hang out with my female friends in public). But i hear queer used descriptively pretty frequently, and it only really bothers me when it's meant to be an offensive comment. Tranny I don't mind when it's being used by trans people. I agree with StefaniW, I think it can be used endearingly between trans people. When other people use it though, it makes me nervous.

4. Martjain

Yes, it's all about context, but I hate the words "puto" it's argentinean for faggot basically and tranny. Also based on what Maddy said, do people generally consider "cis" transphobic?

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Dyke. Absolutely loathe it. It's vulgar in speech.

Tranny is endearing depending on the context. I think it's cute when trans* people refer to themselves and their trans* clique as trannys. Outside of that, like when cishet people use it in a derogatory context, I want to obliterate them. I'm sure Pret Allez would help me out with that operation.

As for queer - I'm fond of it and I like identifying as queer.

6. VelvetEYES

I'm not a fan of queer but I can't say I'd be offended if I was called it. Faggot is an obvious one, and being called a dyke.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I found the word Queer offensive, solely because, I only ever heard Homophobic people use the term & when they used it, they said it with such repugnance, as though they were talking about something on their shoe, but I have been told that the Gay community has claimed the word back :slight_smile:

8. srslywtf

Just wanted to add,
    it doesn't sound right to me when someone refers to "the gays". I'm not sure why.. there's not really anything wrong with it I guess. It just weirds me out.

9. Hexagon

They're using it as a noun rather than an adjective: He is gay vs He is a gay. Describing someone as "a gay" reduces them to nothing but there sexuality. You can hear similar things in race, sex etc.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    if another LGBT*Q person is using any of these words its totally fine with me
    when cishets use them, then i get angry

11. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Faggot. Faggit of fagget. Dumb people usually say this word.

12. leer

I find queer offensive at times depends in what way its meant .
    I dont mind shirt lifter or batty boy or bating for the other side .

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As srslywtf said, I dislike it when people use the phrase "a gay" or any variance of that. I know I've used it because I've heard my mom use it. I probably should stop that. I'm probably offended by it because like Hexagon said: It reduces the person, who it's in reference to, to nothing but their sexuality ergo it's not Person First Language and ignoring the fact that all snowflakes are different.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This is me talking from ignorance, so my apologies if it come across offensive.
    But don't those people mean transgendered in the sense of transgender people who have fully transitioned, as opposed to transgender people who are still in the process of doing so?

Not that it excuses their transphobia, just trying to see if my interpetation might be correct.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

I tend to respond with: I don't smoke.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2013 at 08:15 PM ----------

Not at all.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

One of the few things I can't stand is using gay as word to express 'dumb' 'lame' 'stupid' etc.
    Being ignorant/unaware of the fact that it's offensive to LGBT people is not an excuse imo.

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "My gays". No. Shut up.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're damn right I would. One advance-lunge at a time.

I'm quite surprised that you're okay with it. I was under the impression it was the word is the one word the trans* community finds the most insulting. I still wouldn't use it... I don't feel like it's my word to throw around. Doesn't it mean intersex anyway?

I'm not familiar with the full theory of why the cisgender communities are not supposed to use that word, and I don't really feel qualified to respond. I was just taught not to use it. As a genderqueer person, I feel like my dysphoria is pretty damn low to be making any claims on behalf of anybody else.

I live in North America, where "faggot" doesn't mean that at all.

Somebody else mentioned "fudge-packer." Yes. I hate that slur so much. One of the last things we need is more shaming of anal sex. Those of us who like anal sex don't think of it in scatological terms at all. But the slur makes it seem like that's the whole draw...

Warmth and ziesterhood, Adrian

17. Dani3l

Exactly why I hate it. Amen.

18. Hexagon

I don't use it either. The word is not often used against transmen, so I've decided that its not mine to reclaim. I mean, I'd use it in an appropriate context of course, but I wouldn't call someone tranny.

As I understand it, its just a grammatical issue. I've never heard the word applied to fully transitioned people in a different way to people who are pre-transition or currently transitioning. People, I believe, say 'transgender', and think it sounds wrong, so try putting an 'ed' on the end.

19. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely depends on the context. I mean, growing up in this world today, I'll even find myself saying, "that's gay" to something i don't like and I won't even think twice about. Because I don't mean it. It's just a bad habit.

But if someone refers to another person as a fag or a dyke or queer, then it's offensive imo.

20. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Anything! I hate who I am! Sorry, I had to say something, I'm just so worked up! I hate every word we are called.