Let's talk about names...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by clockworkfox, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Hexagon

You could always ask your parent's what you'd have been called if you'd been born a guy.

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually already know this one, because my mom was convinced she was having a boy for a good part of her pregnancy with me.

Both names that would have been given to me have since been taken by younger cousins, and neither feel right anyway. :\

3. Hexagon

Try finding one from a book? Or a historical person you look up to.

4. ladyneko13

i also have a very feminine name (kayla, not afraid to show my real name), so i just go by an androgynous, japanese "pet name" (neko). my mom still calls me kayla though.

5. theskywreck

I wanted to call myself Simon, but my parents turned it down, saying it would be too hard to adjust to a name that has no nickname attached to it (example: Alexander to Alex or Matthew to Matt). I've been calling myself Link on forums and signing artwork with that name because Link from The Legend of Zelda is my hero. Also, I love names beginning with the letter L.

I've been trying to find a name that is all at once appealing to me (preferably beginning with L), bilingual (I live with both French and English in my surroundings) and easy to diminish to a nickname. Call me picky, but I don't want to have a name I'll regret later!

6. boysdontcry

The way I chose my name was a bit different, perhaps you could try it? First I chose specific sounds or letters I liked, like hard K's and TH's and I (as in eye) sounds. Once I had an idea of what I wanted my name to sound like, it was a bit easier to chose one. It also helps to look at website for names specialized by nationality, they're a bit more unique and are nice if you have a specific ancestry or heritage you want to recognize. My chosen name is Mathias Emil, both Scandinavian names for my dad's family from Norway.

7. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I had no trouble with my name. My birth given name being Brandon Kyle, and switching to Audrey Marie just seemed...right

8. Sal

Sal Guest

I have two names due to my dad not excepting the name my mom gave me. One is unisex and the one I go by when i'm with my mom. The other is more feminine (Salina) and the one I use when i'm with my dad. I hate being called Salina so I shortened it to Sal.

9. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might just try this. :slight_smile:

I'm less frustrated by this name thing today for some reason. I'd rather take my time and mill over several ideas than jump on any one name right away.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My birth name is really feminine and I've heard shortenings of it being used in a masculine way but I don't know for sure. Choosing a name for me was an interesting process. My first name was easy, since I was drawn to Alexander for years. Middle name was tough, since I went back and forth on a number of things for years. Some of the ones I had in mind were Jaydon, Jason, Jackson (step-dad), Tobias (dad), James, Holden, and Mason to name a few. Eventually I came across Jerick and it just stuck for me.

While I did draw from websites and baby books for some of it for ideas, most of it came from people I look up to. Alexander coming from an acquaintance who is a filmmaker and inspired me to keep working on it, and Jerick coming from a singer, actor and drag performer I heard about earlier this year. If you're having difficulty finding a name that suits you, try asking friends and those around you what they think and maybe they can help you make a list.

11. randomusername1

I had a hard time choosing a name. I wanted a name that would reflect my religion but also be easy to transition into. I had my gf at the time help me pick out different name and address me by them. My birth name is very feminine, I can't shorten it or anything to make it masculine. It's Lauren. I was deciding between Yusuf and Adam. I really really liked Yusuf but went with Adam because it would be easier for me to get used to as well as my family.

12. I chose my name because it also felt right. I was born Andrew Harlan and Andrew means full of strength, Harlan is a bit softer and is old English for hare land. So I chose Ashley Michaela because it felt right, and Michaela has an appeal of strength similar to Andrew and means Who is like God? Ashley refers to an ash tree grove, and they seemed unique. Plus ashes are also remnants of a material and is associated with rebirth or being renewed.

13. boysdontcry

Definitely, take your time! I doesn't do to rush unless you're absolutely certain. It is your name after all, and parents usually have 9 months to pick, so why not you? I jumped between Mikkel, Miles and Mathias for a while before settling myself.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do decide to go thru baby name books, try to find ones that were from around the time you were born. This will help you choose a name that will blend in with your generation more than if you were to choose a name from those a generation younger.

15. earthlvr510

I have always liked Jack for some reason, not sure why, it just sticks out to me. Thankfully I have a name with an easily masculineized nickname. Its Andrea, so I go with Andy, and have since about 4th grade. My mom has always said she was going to name me Daniel if i had been assigned male at birth but, alas, that was not the case. I rather like Andy but it still reminds me a lot of what i grew up with and gives my parents an in to call me Andrea when their mad. Pisses me off to no end. So I almost have too many options :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. justjade

I myself like unisex names. I was lucky to be born with one, but that's a pretty rare thing. You could always name yourself after someone you admire, like a favorite poet, artist, or actor....or your favorite Pokemon gym leader. :wink: