1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you care about what people think of you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Diego89, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that my posts on this forum make it pretty clear that the answer is a resounding no. I've probably made more enemies than friends, but the friends I have made are really good.

Peace,

Adrian

2. Illusion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Too much for my own good. I'm trying to care less.

3. time4achange3

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes too much!

4. Grrrr331

Back then a few years ago, I was very self-consicious about my outside appearance because people said that I looked like a boy or guessed that I was a boy. It was pretty awkward and embarassing back then. But then I'm like 'whatever' because I'm gay anyway. I proud to be myself in short.

5. Hexagon

Partially. I care that people think the truth of me in terms of values etc. I'd hate to be thought of as sexist or homophobic. But I couldn't care less of what conclusions people reached about me based on that. If they don't like my politics or beliefs, they can fuck off.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

People I care about or respect, I do worry of what they think of me.
    Random strangers on the street, no at all.

7. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I care far too much what people think of me. I'm working very hard to change that and live life in the present moment

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only care if your having a good impression of me is somehow beneficial. Otherwise I've learned not to care what others think of me, unless they offer constructive criticism.

9. Dani3l

Up until I was 18 or so, although I liked to think (and say) that I didn't care, most of the time I found myself making decisions based on what other people would think was correct instead of what I thought/wanted/believed.

After realizing the hypocrisy in this, I've then started to admit I care a little (sometimes a lot!)...

There are some weird moments when I'm so worried about how people are perceiving my image, that I actually feel like I FORGOT HOW TO WALK - it's like when someone tells you "You don't have to think about breathing to breathe" and after that you can't breathe without thinking about breathing in and breathing out (sorry :badgrin:slight_smile:. Similarly, my steps become forced and I can't shake the feeling that I'm walking "wrong", just because I was trying to be "normal" or "cool" when passing by someone. God, I'm ridiculous.

10. robotman

Yeah I do alot, I try not too but I can't help it.

11. Hudson

At work:

If they are above me: obviously, I want to be on exceptional terms.

If they report to me, or I outrank them: I want to be on good terms, but at the same time, I have a job to do, and if they don't like that, then that is their problem.

In my personal life: generally speaking, yes. I'm not much of a shit talker, and avoid drama.

In high school, I was the kid that everyone got along with, but I never identified/hung out with one specific group. I enjoyed it. I was popular, but not "one of the popular kids." I was just popular because I got along with everyone and everyone thought I was a nice guy.

They actually voted me "Most Likely to Make a Friend" in my last year book, haha.

12. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    I care, but I have a way of convincing myself something is ok by getting accepted in a smaller group.
    Like I can tell people I'm a brony and I like pinky pie and I'm a 13 year old guy, because I have approval from other bronies.
    Or I can tell people (almost I'm getting there) that I'm bi-sexual because I have exceptance for that in the LGBT community.

And I don't tell people that Im a furry, or that I find some of those ponies attractive, because I have not yet gotten or seeked exceptance from furries or cloppers respectively.

13. leer

like most guys am quite thick skinned but like others have said on the inside I do care am only human after all .

14. Harve

Obviously it all depends on who they are. There are aspects of me that I don't like, and if someone else recognises them then I might be quite sensitive about it. Generally fairly thick-skinned/happy-go-lucky. I'm not self-absorbed by any means, but at the end of the day, I tend to trust my own opinions and perspectives a notch or two above all others and that means it's difficult to get me to acknowledge I'm wrong. And I realise how big-headed that may sound. :grin:

I've completely gone off track here. Oh and if anyone is bothered by verbal attacks coming from complete strangers, whether homophobic or otherwise: the fact they're attacking you says far more about them than it does about you, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about. It might not be nice to be thought of in that way, but remember that they don't know you and you can always pick who your friends are.

15. Diego89

Lol, I know what you mean. :lol:

16. wayne1983

Unfortunately i am too:slight_smile:

17. Ritor365

It depends; if its someone very close to me, then I find myself sometimes worried, but nt often. When I was in denial though, Iwas paranoid about EVERYONE judging me, but ive changed my mindset to "I don know/care about you, so I don't give a shit what you think" :slight_smile: Feels much better lol

18. Islander

It's strange, but since realising that I am gay, despite not being out, I have come to care less about what people think of me :slight_smile: