1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you do well in school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been so long I've forgotten many details...

My best recollection of high school was that I got started with OK grades. By 10th grade, I got obsessed with grades. For a while, I was so obsessed I even kept my own grade records so I could track how I was doing. By the time I graduated, I was mostly a straight A student. I think I graduated in the top 10%...although that was not much of an accomplishment given the student body. One teacher even told me bluntly there were basically 2 groups: the good students, and the bad students. There was very little in between.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to read articles about psychological and sociological studies, though I am not schooled in this stuff. One article mentioned that a possible reason is that gay men are more likely to excel at activities which can be carried out individually, whereas straight men are more apt to pursue activities which involve teamwork. The article mentioned that the difference wasn't as noticeable among the women they studies. A link is not at my fingertips.

3. TheTrueInferno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I managed to brink my GPA up to a 3.8 right before graduating, which was something I thought would be impossible at the time. I pulled an A- in Calculus II yet a C- in basic English IV. I'm not sure how THAT happened, but I'm still shocked by it. Everything else was on the B+/A- ratio, which a 100 in concert band, since well, it was nothing really to be graded over besides attendance. I got accepted into Neumont University at Salt Lake City, Utah last year, but had to withdraw my application after getting my whole stay 50% off because Sallie Mae completely ignored my application after sending it 5 times. 5th time, I emailed my counselor to announce the unfortunate event of withdrawing my application, never heard from them since. I would've been a lot better off than I am now since I can't bring myself to apply for a school anymore.

4. GayJay

I never really tried in school, wish I did now though. I hadly ever turned in for lessons and if I did it would be pretty late and my workbooks were close to empty

I got 2 C's, 2 A's and the rest B's
    I think GPA works a little different here in the UK cause I got 6.1 and that's considered good and was more than enough to get me onto all my A-level subjects

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was very average in high school.

But now, I'm about to start my third year of college double majoring at a good university, and my GPA is around 3.8.

So yeah, being successful in high school academically (in terms of grades) isn't as important as some people make it out to be.

6. Hiems

I try too much when it comes to academics, as there's nothing else going for me in terms of other qualities, like a talent, hobby, athletics, etc. So yeah, most of my energy is geared towards school.

I'm not the brightest crayon in the color box (my SATs were not so great), but my work ethic compensates for that weakness and is reflected through my grades. I graduated from high school with a class rank of 12 out of ~300 students. My class rank would probably have been lower if I took more AP/Honors courses. Nevertheless, I gave my full effort in the relatively easier courses, consequently receiving mostly A's. Moreover, I walked away with good background knowledge for various subjects and thus was prepared for university courses.

I will be a P1 pharmacy student in the fall walking in with a cumulative GPA of 3.78. Having a strong GPA in my undergraduate years is useful. Because I likely will struggle with certain courses, my GPA serves as a safety net. I just need to keep a cum. GPA 3.0 until the day I graduate.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! It's weird how, from high school, people can go to college and perform similarly, do much better, or do much worse. I've seen all the combinations in my friends and acquaintances. Sometimes, the reasons were for things other than brainpower.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2013 at 06:05 PM ----------

Great. It's a lot easier to maintain an equilibrium than it is to do a major uptick once the critical mass of a GPA has set in.

The relationship of grades to the SAT is interesting. I have some friends who performed very well in terms of grades and not as well on standardized tests. I've always thought it meant that they are very hard workers or that they just don't do well on standardized tests, or a little of both. I've also seen low GPA students who tore up on the SAT. Whatever!

8. King

King Guest

I coasted through school with high 60's and low 70's, unless it was classes I enjoyed (like english, writing, or business) where I got high 80's and low 90's.

I just didn't give a crap, though, and I had no intention of trying when I didn't want to.

9. Candace

I'm so-so in school. I got all A's (except for one darn B+) in high school. I did well the first two years of college, getting Dean's list and etc. Last year...a lot of contributing factors made it so that my GPA dropped down to a 3.4. I'm taking two summer classes and I got A's and B+'s on the assignments thus far.

By the way, in the state which I live, there's a program (called HOPE) in which you get part of your tuition paid for if you get above a 3.0 GPA :grin:

10. sexyalex

I did fairly well in school. I however was never any good at maths.

In fact, I graduate from high school with a 47% average for mathematics.
    I however managed to become valedictorian in collage and got a scholarship and matriculated to Queens university in Kingston, Canada.

All this, btw, I did at the age of 14. Those who know me from the old school EC (when I used to torment the forum) know I Graduated from university at age 18. But now that I am 21, in my final year of my masters class, I think I'm ready to take on a new profession. It has nothing to do with being good in school/at school.

It's about making sure you study and focus on what you love and know what you want. Can never go wrong. I loved French, Bio, Chemistry, Food and Nutrition, History and English (Language and Literature) so I made sure I got A's in those and choose a career path closely related to those subjects.

Besides. Both my parents are trained teachers and I grew up poor. From as early as grade 7, I have been going to school on scholarships. So I didn't have much of a choice but to do my best in school.

Oh yea. MY GPA leaving university was 3.9
    Not the best! But still very good considering I'm no genius and I couldn't even afford to buy text books. xD

#30 sexyalex, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  11. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As of my freshman GPA:

12. rjrh20

Im only going into eighth grade, I do really try and it just goes naturally. I remember things really fast, so I never study. I have gotten a 4.0 until now, but it is just middle school so it isn't hard.

13. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I did pretty average in high school, I think I wound up with a 2.9 or 2.8 in the end. I got into college off of my 2010 on the SAT, I think. So far I've aced every college course I've taken at my local community college, but we'll see what happens in the fall. I intend to work my ass off, though.

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heard that too. Read somewhere that gay men tend to generally to better in education. High educational value. But I don't think that's true...it just depends on how much time they want to devote to their studies.

15. justjade

I graduated high school with a 2.67 and dropped out of community college with a GPA below a 1, but not that I'm going to school for something I enjoy, I have a 4.0! (!)

16. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did well in high school as school work acted as my outlet a lot. I think I had a 3.74 .GPA I struggled this past year in college though and I am not happy how I did academically my first year in college. Hopefully once I get some personal stuff sorted out I can pick up my GPA a bit.

17. sugarcubeigloo

Yeah, I did pretty well. In high school, they ranked us, and I was always in the top 5% of my class. When I finished college, I graduated magna cum laude... although I was just off from making summa cum laude (it pains me to think about it :lol:slight_smile:.

I'm ready to start grad school soon, but I have to add with a few years of professional job experience first before I set out to do that.

18. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My GPA is 2.8 overall I think... it was 1.7 for the third quarter o_o
    And I'm taking the same math class for the third year, next year
    As you can tell; college is not in my future...

19. Gen

Gen

I've essentially had straight As.....................since pre-school.....

Yeah, I'm that kid.

Though it was never about arrogance or anything, I have always dealt with perfectionism in nearly every section of my life, and my academics definitely weren't excused. As a child, I was always deemed quite gifted and I'd like to think that I haven't lost all of my marbles, so I suppose it has never been an extreme challenge to do well. I've never been one to obsess over every point or assignment; I've just always set my standards are relatively high levels.( Of course, ones that I can reach. I'm not that crazy. ^_^)

20. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to work very hard for my grades. I have ADD , and take medication for it. I have everything riding in this class I'm taking. So far I have an A .