1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone awkward around family/friends when gay topics arise?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 26, 2013.

1. FreeFlow9917

Yes kinda, going off topic i heard the same love song on the radio a bazillion times the other day and i was so quiet, hell i almost cried, so yeah.

2. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now she'll start asking when you're going to get a boyfriend! :lol:

3. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the other day, i agreed to go to my friend's church for their youth group meeting. I've been a few times, and I've always enjoyed it but they had a guest speaker who was literally the most arrogant jerk I have ever had the displeasure of listening to.

To sum it all up, he talked about homosexuality and how God doesn't tolerate it and neither should we and blah blah blah this isn't a religious topic, so I won't go too much into details.

And at the end, he was like, "if you would like to pray and embrace these beliefs with me, stay. and if not, the doors are back there." so i sat there for maybe two seconds, then looked at my friend and muttered something about going to bathroom. And once we were back in her car on the way home, I didn't really know how to tell her that I didn't agree with him without making it obvious that I'm gay myself. Because I love my friend but I also know that she wouldn't accept it, so I just kept quiet and stuttered a few words when she asked what I thought about it.

I have a feeling she knew something was up though because she apologized for how "intense" it had gotten.

4. LinkLarkin

I watch the gayest TV shows going (Glee, Smash etc.) with my parents to whom I am not out, so I don't get too uncomfortable about it. I think if something portrays homosexuality in a positive light then I don't mind so much as if it's about something like homophobia or gay marriage being vetoed.

To be honest though, I think I'll feel more awkward after I've come out, because I don't intend to talk nonstop about my sexuality to them once I've told them, and I feel like seeing gay people on TV will be putting a spotlight back on me.

5. sexyalex

I used to feel awkward. Now, I just speak my mind and whatever happens happens. If it's outside my family, I keep quiet and speak truthfully my opinions IF asked.

All in all, I am too young to give a damn.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The majority of my friends fit under the LGBT umbrella somewhere, and my straight cis friends are supportive of the community, so there's nothing awkward there. My family, now that's where things get awkward. My sister is open and supportive, and I'm not out to her but I feel comfortable around her when LGBT topics come up. My mom and dad don't say much about it, so I don't know exactly where they stand. But I usually just give gentle support in the direction of the topics, and hope that if they don't agree with us yet, my sister and I can talk some sense into them. And my extended family have said some seriously homophobic things in the past. I tend to clam up around them completely, or get annoyed and leave the room, often in a dramatic (if silent) huff.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friends, no, because I'm out with them, but given that most of my family have the "gays should be lucky that we don't round them up and shoot them" mentality, I kinda get awkward.

8. Key09

well some times ago, there's a TV movie about cross dresser in the local TV and my mom was so curious about them asking why they do that why they do this and it's not their fault to be cross dresser or people are stupid for being mad at cross dresser and i thought "wow.. cool, mom doesn't look like someone that is homophobic"
    but then, i was watching a tv series and suddenly there's two girls kissing and my mom keep rambling about it non stop and i was like "i'll never come out"

so everytime there's gay topic i will keep silent or excuse myself because believe it or not, i'll end up debating with my mom about stereotypes

9. AllSmiles

I'm not out to my family (except my mom), so whenever I'm with family and the gay topic arises, I feel uncomfortable and tend to blush because I don't want be revealed (in the lack of better words) as being gay - which doesn't really help :wink:
    I even get uncomfortable when I'm just with my mom and were watching TV and gay-related stories appear. I have no clue why.
    It's no problem at all when I'm around friends and other people my age. So I guess I might fear that older people are more conservative and non-supporting of homosexuals..

10. maverickhunter

Despite not being gay I do, specially if my parents make narrow-minded comments. With my friends it's pretty normal, that topic rarely arises but I don't really feel offended among them.

11. AaronG

AaronG Guest

It always feels like my mother is silently judging me whenever anything gay related comes up but I don't know if that's the case or not. She in denial so maybe she doesn't even think about it.

12. Gibson85

I used to live in maryland Aaron. my mom didnt like any time the discussion came up even if she brought it up herself. Shes come to accept a bit more in her own time.. (took 10 yrs tho) Wasnt till i got with my current partner she started accepting.

13. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

If those topics arise, it's usually because I'm the one who started to talk about those topics.. so.. no, i'm not awkward.
    But I remember one day I watched TV, and suddenly one of the characters started to scream "i'm lesbian!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm lesbian!!!!!" THAT was awkward.
    Especially because I think they suspect my sexual orientation

14. robotman

My mum and sister know I am gay and my dad does not. My dad is completely homophobic and if anything gay comes on TV he will slate it but I don't leave the room or say anything because I don't want an issue with him. I don't engage I just wait for the conversation to pass over... My mum and sister have said several things to me before I told them I was gay and I know they don't feel 100% about it but that's life... I guess its something that I will have to deal with... If I am being honest with you, It doesn't make me feel awkward when gay topics arise though.

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! But only when I'm with people who know I'm not straight. When I'm with friends who don't have a clue, I don't feel awkward at all.

16. person57

I feel very awkward when this happens. Especially because I'm in the closet.

17. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

This happens to me all the time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It just happened the other day, my grandma is really against gay marriage and she was telling my aunt how she thought it was wrong and stuff and I was in the car with them going to dinner, and I'm not out to most of my family members, so it always makes things very awkward for me, I just sit there and wait for the topic to change to something else, but when this happens, I just want to ask my grandma "what if I told you I was a lesbian?" just to see if she would ever be more okay with it, but I never say anything because I know it wouldn't be pretty if I did. :/