1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Donating to Human Rights the right thing?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by diego7142, Jun 24, 2013.

1. diego7142

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to start making donations to organizations that help the LGBT issues. Is Human Rights Organization that best/strongest organization to contribute? I want to make my limited contribution count!

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't know about Human Rights Organization, but Human Rights Campaign is the biggest for LGBT members, right now. I'm actually about to flip the coin for donating the 39 to HRC and get the bag, as well.

3. Aldrick

It depends on where exactly you want your money to go - a lot of LGBT organizations have a focus. There are also many local and regional groups, as well as national groups.

Here are some of the major ones...

Lambda Legal: They are a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.

Human Rights Campaign: The HRC is the largest national LGBT advocacy organization. In essence, they are lobbyists for LGBT people, fighting for equal rights, safer environments at home, at work, and in the community. They are the primary group that fights for us in Washington D.C.

Gay, Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation: GLAAD (as it is more commonly called by its acronym), is a national LGBT multimedia watchdog dedicated to promoting fair, accurate, and inclusive representation in the media (movies, books, news, tv shows, etc). They do a great deal of important work in helping educate the public.

These are what you might call "the big three", but there are TONS of other worthy causes as well - such as various projects that deal with LGBT Homeless Youth. However, more or less - everyone should start with the big three.

Also, while not LGBT focused like Lambda Legal the ACLU also does good work in defending the LGBT community.

4. person54

The HRC does have a pretty bad reputation both for it's conservative nature and treatment of trans issues/individuals. I've heard good things about GLAAD and Lamda Legal.

5. Aldrick

It's true. The HRC is rarely as aggressive as we'd like, but they're still the organization with the most connections in Washington. (Which is in part why they are not as aggressive as we'd like - because they don't like rocking the boat too much.)