1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Marijuana Smoker?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jun 18, 2013.

?

Would you date a pot smoker?

1. Never, I want to be with a law-abiding citizen.

38 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Only if I really really liked the person…

20 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. It's a minor drawback but it wouldn't really stop me.

15 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. I couldn't care less.

34 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ^This.

I am 100% cool with people who smoke weed. It's better than most things people do. If its a coping strategy, then they obviously have had it rough, you CAN NOT blame them for having an addiction to a coping strategy.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that we need a lot more focus on mental health services, because it is anxiety, depression, and other unpleasant feelings that is often the underlying motivation behind smoking weed/ smoking cigs / alcohol use / drug use, as I said above.

Here's the conundrum: We know from prohibition that simply banning something doesn't solve the issue. But encouraging, or otherwise extolling the virtue of something that, in a community that is at higher risk than the general population for substance abuse, probably isn't the best idea either. Heroin, for example, is apparently an absolutely wonderful experience that takes all of one's cares away and they don't worry about anything. Who wouldn't want that? But... unfortunately, anything that makes us feel good tends to be addictive, in some cases very much so, and in some cases only a little.

In the case of weed, at least according to Dr. Drew and most of the people I know who work in the rehab field, there most certainly is a physical dependence. Perhaps that's due to the stronger strains than were not available 20 years ago, I don't know. But in the long run, this trend of saying "it's harmless" and "There's nothing wrong with it"... simply isn't true for an awful lot of people. And yes, the exact same thing can be said about alcohol.

To be fair, when I make the reference to heroin, I need to also point out that it is a far more pure drug and that psychological addiction can happen almost immediately, and tolerance and addiction can build up within a few days. Weed is nowhere near as addictive, but acccording to those who work in the field, it is far from harmless.

Part of the reason I speak out about it here is we have a lot of impressionable young people, and I feel like it's important to say that the use of *any* substance isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and if you have a familial history of addiction, an addictive personality, or depression or anxiety... smoking weed (or cigs, or drinking) could be the start of a very serious problem. But if you never start... you'll never have the problem.

3. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I changed my mind. I say never lol. Voted for i don't care

4. LinkLarkin

Like others have said, it's not so much about lawfulness for me - that's pretty important, but I wouldn't reject a potential partner if they had briefly experimented with marijuana in the past. I just hate smoking generally so I couldn't deal with somebody who did it regularly. I wouldn't go out with someone who smoked cigarettes either. And I guess that there are generally a lot of problems associated with dating an addict. So I've gone with never.

5. justjade

I really don't care if people smoke weed. Hell, last week at work, I watched one of my coworkers roll a joint behind the dumpster and then stood lookout for him. It doesn't bother me. However, I really wish that if I did date someone that smoked weed, I wouldn't want them to do it in the house. Weed smells terrible. I don't smoke cigarettes in the house. I think they should extend the same courtesy to me.

In my experience, there's a fine line between a someone who smokes weed and someone who's actually a pothead. If they did it in moderation, it wouldn't bother me. If they were using it to recover from anorexia or something medical, it would be perfectly fine.

6. KhanSaheb

Off-topic for a bit... I've smoked cigarettes on and off for years, but I never smoke in the house. I know it makes everything smell bad.

7. leer

my ex was a weed user even had a few joints myself after work and weekends but he didnt work just sat around smoking weed he ran up a hefty weed bill unknown to me so I paid it off and we split soon after dont smoke at all now never date a weed user

#67 leer, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  8. robotman

No offence but who are the people said "Never, I want to be with a law-abiding citizen". Like seriously guys its legal in some places, stop being so damn preachy and lame. I don't even smoke weed and I am saying this.
    Anyways too answer the question it doesn't bother me that much, just as long as it wasn't too the extreme, like all the time but once in a while I wouldn't mind that much.

9. purpleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    don't give too hoots :slight_smile: . hey in Holland its fully legal to smoke it . If there is one going i have some myself :slight_smile:

10. FloatingPiano

This is pretty much a deal breaker for me. And it's not even really the illegal part that bothers me. I just find smoking in general personally gross lol.

11. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't date one, unless it's on very rare occassions. It's not because of legality, but because I generally don't like people smoking normal cigarettes, and it's like they don't have their life completely together. It techniqually slows brain cells too. My dad smoked though, because of sclerosis, and I don't blame, him, it helped the shaking and the pain.

If a person suffers from something that makes them incapable of having a job or fulfilling their dreams, they can have their fun with it.

12. srslywtf

At least people aren't thrown in jail for being gay.
    We live in what are essentially the dark ages part 2.

Addiction is a health problem but most people treat addicts like they deserve to die.

Crime arises out of the unregulated nature of the market.
    People die because of the unregulated nature of the market.

The science and stats have been in for a long time, it's just not a topic politicians - or the majority of people - want to have a rational conversation about.

The greatest hypocrisy is that it's perfectly acceptable to use drugs like alcohol and cigarettes, which are far more unhealthy than alot of the 'illegal' ones, yet still hold the 'drugs are bad' line.

I would date a pot smoker far sooner than I'd date a cigarette smoker or drinker.

13. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So long as they're not an out-and-out stoner it's fine. Occasional use doesn't bother me at all, it's when you rarely see them not high it becomes a problem.

14. Hudson

I think it may have to do with the fact that I had bad experiences when smoking it, so the smoke itself just puts my body on edge.

Back in high school, I *did* want to enjoy it like my friends did... it just wasn't my thing, due to my unfortunate reaction.