1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Marijuana Smoker?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jun 18, 2013.

?

Would you date a pot smoker?

1. Never, I want to be with a law-abiding citizen.

38 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Only if I really really liked the person…

20 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. It's a minor drawback but it wouldn't really stop me.

15 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. I couldn't care less.

34 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. KhanSaheb

I chose option C, It's a minor drawback but it wouldn't really stop me. I figure I smoke cigarettes and I keep a fully stocked bar, so why not. I haven't smoked weed since college, but I don't care if others do. The thing is, it is still illegal, so I don't want it in my home. So I would date someone who smokes weed, but I would set ground rules right up front.

2. mpac21

I really would not mind either way. I don't smoke myself anymore, but as long as they don't make it their entire purpose for living, I'm all good with it fully and truly

3. Foxface

another thing to consider. You can vape it, eat it and drink it. In the latter two, the 'disgusting' habit goes away from lack of smoke. Plus it is safer...and gets you a lot higher

Foxface

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you promoting weed use?

There are an awful lot of people whose lives have been royally fucked up by weed. Check with anyone who works in a rehab center... or read what Drew Pinsky, MD (Dr. Drew) who is one of the founders of the field of addiction medicine, has written specifically on the topic of marijuana abuse.

Yes, there are plenty of people who can smoke (or otherwise ingest) weed and not have a problem, just as there are people who can drink without a problem. But there are also plenty of people who have serious problems. And given that the majority of substance abuse problems arise from a desire to numb or otherwise get away from unpleasant feelings... and that gay people, disproportionately, have more baggage than their straight counterparts, because we have the same experiences and problems as our straight counterparts *plus* a bunch of extra crap resulting from internal and external homophobia... it's a potentially really bad combination, and that is one of the reasons why substance abuse in the LGBT community is a significantly more common and more serious problem than in the straight community.

For all of those reasons, I would not be interested in being in a relationship with anyone who smokes weed or, for that matter, uses any other drug or pharmaceutical means of numbing. It's basically, in too many cases, a red flag of an unhealthy coping strategy.

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is the law so important?

What if the law forbade homosexual relationships?

6. Foxface

that's fair enough. I should say I am not promoting, rather trying to dispell some of the rumors. I like that you said in many cases and not ALL cases. Mine was experimental and I will say it did very many positive things for me.

So let me say aloud I am not suggesting others use it. I just felt there was some bad info out there. I obviously can't speak for anyone else and if a client comes to me to break a psychological addiction to marijuana I of course do all I can to help them. I will say though of the times I have used in my personal life it helped a lot with migraines. I looked back though and I don't think I was actually promoting it, rather trying to explain the other side. But I will bow out of the conversation.

But once again, I am not suggesting others use it, just playing devil's advocate

Foxface

#46 Foxface, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  7. castle walls

I won't say never but I highly highly doubt that I would ever date someone that puts marijuana in their bodies. I have nothing against anyone that does it but a relationship wouldn't work between me and someone that uses this type of drug

8. BiPenguin

As long as it is used reasonably and not abused, it is a harmless plant.

9. kem

kem

I wouldn't mind dating a marijuana smoker at all -- he might share it with me! Moderation is key though, I don't want to end up taking care of his shit while he smokes all day.
    I guess all good stuff requires a certain amount of self-restraint. Just as I wouldn't illegalise shitty food, I wouldn't illegalise marijuana and other drugs. There's a saying in Finnish which roughly translates to: "Don't fill your belly with sweets." I think it applies to drugs as well.

#49 kem, Jul 18, 2013
  10. tryhtwfr

11. ArcaneVerse

Why are you so intent on demonizing a substance and those who support the right to use it?

We all have a right to our opinion and you trying to guilt people into adopting your view of things, or at least quieting their view, doesn't strengthen your argument.

Do you have a valid point? sure, but in reality its a pretty weak one. If we got rid of or restricted heavily everything that gave a lot of people a bad life experience there would be nothing left in this world. Does that mean we should do away with all restrictions, of course not, we should be teaching moderation and responsibility.

Most of the people who have abused pot or where effected by someone who was abusing pot most likely wouldn't have been better off without pot because something else would have taken its place. We should be more focused on support and mental health services.

12. Elicitra

It's a bit of weed... chill...

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of surprised at the results of this poll.
    Just as long as they don't blow smoke in my face, then I don't care. Or burps. I hate when people blow their smoke or their burps in my face. :frowning2:

14. sammy1

It depends...if they cant hold a job because of the amount they smoke then that would definitally b a problem but if its just an occasional thing then i couldnt care less

15. Hudson

I don't have any issues with it when it comes to the law. People should be free to use it if they'd like, and it'd cut down a huge amount on drug trafficking.

My issue, and the reason why I couldn't, is that the smell literally makes me vomit. I tried weed a few times in high school, had really, really bad experiences (vomiting included), and just can't be around it.

That's why I wouldn't be able to date a marijuana smoker, lol.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I would.
    But it'd only work if they didn't smoke near me as I can't stand the smell and don't appreciate second hand smoking of any kind.
    It certainly wouldn't be a deal-breaker, though I would apreciate it a lot of they'd try to quit.
    Edit. It's legal here and I'm assuming someone who uses it in moderation/doesn't let it affect his personality/behaviour.

#57 Linthras, Jul 18, 2013
  17. kem

kem

Interesting, I love the smell of it. It smells better when it's still unused but the burnt smell isn't _that_ bad either, not as bad as tobacco anyway.

18. KhanSaheb

With all due respect, I haven't seen anyone promoting it here. What I have seen are many posts of people expressing their opinions in response to a serious, and valid, question.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted "don't care" because it's not something I think about.

I tried it a couple of times, when sitting in someone's living room and it was offered to me, and it had NO effect whatsoever. I was waiting for something to happen. And it didn't.

What cracks me up is when people need to do this prior to sex. It's almost ritualized. I've never understood how it would make the sex any different. Especially since I detected no effect when I tried it those few times.