Hair and eye color?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Theagonist, Jun 15, 2013.

?

Hair and eye color?

1. Hair: Blonde

22 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Brown

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  3. Black

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Red

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Mix

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Blue/Green/Pink

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Eyes: Green

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Blue

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  9. Brown

37 vote(s)
    38.5%
  10. Amber

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. Hazel

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  12. Grey

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  13. Hair: Something Else...

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  14. Eyes: Something Eles...

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ellesar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Brown hair, brown eyes, and a mostly white eyebrow

2. vrrml

boring brown hair, brown eyes.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My eyes are dark brown, almost black. My natural hair color is black, but currently it's blue.

4. wayne1983

My eyes brown and my hair is dark brown but i have blonde highlights in mine, yeah a proper gay messing with my hair:grin:

5. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How could that be true? I have green eyes and dark brown hair and I'm pure Lebanese. I'm more than certain I'm not Indo-European, so what gives?

HOLYCRAPICOULDBEANALIEN

6. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Turks, Iranians, Persians, Greeks, and Romans are all Indo-European groups, each of these people had control over that area at one point.. so you probably have some of that. I'm a 1/3 English, and English people are a mix of Celts, Romans, Saxons,Normans.. there really aren't much purebreds

7. Sarcastic Luck

Red hair and hazel eyes. Though, I'm told they turn green when I'm angry. However, I do not hulk out.

Sorry avengers fans.

8. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my great grandfather was in the Jannisary forces if that says anything. Though I doubt I have any Turkish blood, Iranian is out of the question since the Persian minority in Lebanon is mainly concentrated in the north (I'm from Zahlah, which is far away from those areas). My family is Maronite so most likely not Greek.

The argument that Phoenician trades has caused a mixture of races to blend doesn't make much sense considering there has to have been a significant majority of the family as part Indo-European to have had an effect since it's a very very small effect for any DNA beyond great-great grandparents to have on children.

I'm questioning the validity of the statement that only Indo-Europeans have green eyes. I remember some of my Lebanese friends who had green eyes. I met a lot of Palestinians/Syrians and a very small amount of Jordanians who have green eyes as well. I'm fairly certain that they're not Indo-European. This is actually getting me quite curious. Could Levantine people be Indo-European?

But hey, we Arabs never made any sense, why start now? #Pinkie Pie

#48 BrokenWings, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well Arabs aren't really a race, just a cultural classification. Middle Eastern people are Caucasian in race, like Europeans. Some are darker and have more admixture from other groups, but there are plenty who are lighter in skin, eyes, hair.

For example, the currently embattled president of Syria, Bashar al-Assad, has blue eyes.

[​IMG]

But light eyes are still mostly a Northern European phenomenon:

[​IMG]

10. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The Persian Empire once controlled the area, before then the Medes did ( I don't know they're ethnic group), Alexander the Great then took over the Persian empire; He comes from indo-euro descent, and very often is depicted with blonde hair and blue eyes. Then the Romans took over, they also are indo-euros, after they fell the Seljuk Turks took over, who are indo-euros. It's unpractical to believe they didn't mix with the natives, and some stayed there, there was a lot of trade through there, and of course it's often for soliders to rape native woman.. you probably have some descent through one of those groups, though it could be very little, the genes remain

11. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have brown hair, and green eyes with a little yellow in them.

12. GayJay

My hair was always black but it's seem as to have gone really brown-ish lately, and my eyes are blue most of the time but they do change to grey when i'm tired

13. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but genes only have an effect if they're in the short-run. They have little to no effect (eye-colour is not one of them) if they're from anything after great-grandparents. Just because the Persians controlled them doesn't mean that Lebanese people are automatically related to Persians.

Genetic research showed that Levantines are closely related to each other and Iranian, Turkish and Greek blood is rarely found. There are lots of Levantines who have green eyes. They couldn't all be from Indo-European descent.

Our DNA is the combination of half of the DNA of both our parents, and our parents' DNA are the combination of their grandparents' DNA. So basically after great grandparents we only have a small small fraction of their DNA which is basically 1/40 or something. So it's unlikely to have an effect after that unless there's a huge portion of the family who was Indo-European. As far as I know none of my grandparents were in any way associated with Indo-Europeans. Plus, Zahlah is a landlocked city, so what gives? This doesn't make much sense, hardly any really.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

Notice how I said Lebanese instead of Arab.

Thank you for noticing that. I always get remarks like 'Aren't all Arabs __ I remember someone from (insert african nation here)'

Nizzar Qabbani had blue eyes and blonde hair. And his family tree (which was well-kept since his family was quite famous around Damascus) showed no sign of European interference. Mahmoud Darwish had light eyes and he was from a landlocked area in Palestine during that time. Tonnes of Levantines have light eyes and DNA evidence showed that there's only a small minority who are Indo-European.

So it doesn't really makes much sense.

From what I could tell Lebanese Syrians and Palestinians from the north tend to have lighted hair and eye colour. Basically everyone around the Levantine bridge seems different.

14. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    according to this How Blue or Green Eyes Appeared you're right about that parent of grand-parent part, but your parents could have light eyes has a genotype not a phenotype, and they just kept that gene since it was introduced in your bloodline - impossible to say how long... but

"This genetic type is not associated strictly to what we call Whites, but with a specific type, the Indo-Europeans, which spread it 6,000 years ago from Central Asia or Caucasus Mountains to Europe and northern India, and from Europe, during the colonial era, to other areas. "

Oh and I forgot to say that also the Ottomans controlled this area, as well Seleucid Greeks, and during the Islamic Caliphates I'm sure many people all over the Middle-East moved around the are. And the Galatians (Celtic group of Anatolia) are very close by. People fuck a lot. The only reason why Irish have red hair is because of the Norweigians invading and pillaging.. unfortunately rape is the best Reasones why... stupid wars

15. Colton

Dark brown hair and dark brown eyes >_>

16. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From Central Asia? So basically we're-possibly- the origin of light eyes? That's quite interesting. But we Lebanese are WAY too stuck up for anything like that lol. Have you ever met a fundamentalist Maronite 'pan-Phoenician' *shudders*

But that's very interesting. Thanks a lot for the article, I really didn't need anymore questions about my identity XD. But basically light eyes are not purely Indo-European right?

However, I always thought the Irish were pure celts, are they really of Norwegian descent? Keep in mind that I know very little about this Irish history other than the Anglo-Saxons exiling the celts into Celadonia and Ireland, so forgive me if I sound a little off.

17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My hair kinda looks like butterscotch pudding mixed with dead grass.. My eyes are black, unless you flash a flashlight directly into my eye from a maximum two inches away.

18. justjade

:roflmao:

I'm a redhead, too. My eyes look like they're different colors depending on my mood. Sometimes they're really green. Sometimes they're really blue. Sometimes they're really dark. Just depends.

I don't hulk out either, although if I did, it would be terribly disappointing. I'd be the laughing stock of superheroes everywhere. Even if I expanded to twice my size, I wouldn't be much more than 200lbs. Laughable, I know.

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, but it sounds scary O:

I guess there's no real way of telling, but nowadays there not.

There were Celts in Ireland way before the Saxon invasion. In Irish mythology (this might not be 100% right) the first people there were from a goddess named Danu, then in about 900 BCE the Milesians took over, it's thought they are from the Celtic tribes of Iberia. Then later the Saxons and other viking groups invaded Britain. Many Celtic tribes fled to modern-day Brittany, France becoming the Bretons. Red hair is not known in any other Celtic groups the Scots (not Picts) and Irish, during the viking invasion these places were constantly pillaged (Norway had lands in Scotland till the 13th century I think). And Red Hair already was prominent in the Nordic nations. Then the Normans took over, making England... and I think the Normans took over Sicily too lol. I only know this because I have a lot of Scottish heritage, along with English and German, though my last name is extremely rare and German, but possibly comes from Old Nordic

20. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

Red and blue of course