1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Agenda?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Jun 10, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Why do people criticize LGBT people of having a social agenda, like destroying the sanctity of marriage or corrupting children? I was at my grandparents church, and they had some guy from the Christian press saying things like homosexuals are indoctrinating young children. I don't really get how people assume that homosexuals are motivated to destroy everything that is socially acceptable. It's definitely the über religious right wingers making most of these accusations, but I don't really see why they assume that we are plotting against them. Anyways, why do many people believe that the LGBT community is trying to destroy the sanctity of marriage?

2. Ridiculous

I'm pretty sure most of them know that this isn't what we are trying to do. In most cases they are intentionally lying to portray us badly - the fact that they have to do this shows that they have no actual arguments against us.

3. Hexagon

Because they like to make up reasons to justify their prejudice.

4. leice

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They cannot accept anything different than the society portrayal of the "norm". Even though lgbt are in real life not too much different from every day life straight people.

5. Fiddledeedee

We do have a social agenda: achieving equality and understanding.

6. Aldrick

I'm sorry you had to sit through that. I know it can be uncomfortable and hurtful, especially if you're with family or friends who are agreeing with what is being said...

However, as Fiddledeedee points out we do have a social agenda, although not the one that they claim that we have. We are fighting to achieve equality and to have homosexuality be viewed just as valid and "normal" (ugh I dislike that word) as heterosexuality.

The problem is that they also have a social agenda. They do not want us to have equality, and they want people to view us as abnormal, deviant, sick, perverted, abominations, twisted, freaks - etc, etc.

Quite obviously, these two things are in conflict, and there is no real middle ground. One side is going to end up winning and the other side is going to end up losing. Right now, at least in the United States, they're on the losing side.

As more and more people grow to accept us as equals, and even celebrate our relationships, they in turn will begin viewing them for what they are: bigots. They are fighting against that, and a way they try and accomplish this is through spreading lies. As Ridiculous points out, they don't have any real arguments, so they have to make them up.

Unfortunately, there are some people who believe the lies, but even in spite of this we're making progress.

7. 2112

I tried saying something like that in a Youtube comment or something, it got voted down and I was told I'm an immoral freak and I need to find Jesus :shrug:

8. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I had to sit through an anti-adultery session at my aunts church which involved homophobia, open relationship phobia, and a general disagreement of my religiously pagan beliefs to the point that it was insulting.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an agenda: To be FABULOUS! :icon_bigg

10. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yuss, me too. Always glad to see another member of the fabulous agenda. :grin:

I guess they use the word agenda to make it seem more threatening. Saying, "They're trying to push their message of acceptance and equality!" just doesn't have that same ring. Without that negative spin on us, they look like the dickheads they are. Calling it an agenda keeps it vague - to an ignorant onlooker, the gay agenda could be anything from making everybody gay to forcing our morals on other people (now who would do THAT?)

11. Hexagon

That must have been fun. Did they know they were insulting you, or were they just throwing the insults out and hoping they'd hurt someone?

12. JPC

JPC Guest

It's just a ridiculous scare tactic to frighten all of the religious and conservative sheep into thinking we are all part of a sinsiter ploy to bring society to it's knees, therefore we must be stopped.

13. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sanctity of marriage? With the current divorce rate at around 50 percent? I was under the impression that the 'sanctity' of marriage was already destroyed.

14. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The irony is that he is indoctrinating the whole church... what are gays indoctrinating?

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TBF sometimes some of this agenda crap from these crazy people actually makes me laugh. I saw one conspiracy that said that homosexuality was invented by feminists to "weaken" the males and allow feminist to get more "privileges". The person stating this conspirancy didn't really mention how one invents a sexuality. It quite incredible that people can believe bs like this.

16. Hexagon

Seriously? wow.

17. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are tons of people who think like that. They're complete idiots, and that's putting it nicely. They know absolutely nothing about homosexuality or gay people except for what their bigoted right-wing religious nut pastors or talk show hosts tell them.

18. 2112

I wish I could turn the homophobes gay, just for a day. Sounds like the beginning of a Dr. Seuss book :lol: