1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An interesting comment a friend made about "managing" life

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tightrope, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll put this here because he was about 40 and made this comment. He is bisexual and has problems with alcohol. He can go from being the coolest to being the most selfish person I know.

He once said that, for some non-heterosexual people, managing the sexual part of their lives can take up about 25% of what goes through their heads. Again, this could be for another age group and another point in time, but even teens and 20-somethings HERE think about their sexuality a lot.

He meant that you have to think about how you are perceived at work and what you say there, how you might use a regular doctor and an immediate care clinic if something sexual needs to be taken care of, wondering if a person you are attracted to would even go that way, navigating friends and family, charting your way through school, and decisions about the social life you keep. I thought about it and it sort of made sense. A heterosexual individual doesn't need to even concern themselves about some of these things, thought they will still see heartbreak within romance and may still get a bacterial infection or an abnormal pap smear. And the thoughts he mentioned do take time, when you could be thinking or perceiving something else in the meantime. The use of one's brain for such thoughts for such extended periods of time can obviously lead to depression and anxiety. It has for me.

Is a lot of your time spent reflecting on your sexuality? Do you agree with what my friend said?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is very true, as someone who is gay, there is so much more to think about and manage, probably why I am still here at EC I guess (and probably one of the reasons I remained closeted for so long, I at least had an inkling of the implications of coming out).

I feel like I have joined a conversation that has been going on for decades; navigating a world of unconventional relationships.

3. FranklinK

I don't spend much time thinking about it in all honesty. I stopped giving a shit about how I am perceived a few years ago.

I did come out of the closet when I was 13 and that was 11 years ago. So I have had time to adjust and learn. It's second nature to me now I suppose.

4. Lilly storm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes! I wholeheartedly agree!!!

I'm constantly worrying that something I say or do will give me away, or distance people. Deep down I believe my husband knows I'm attracted to women. It's just one of those taboo subjects that we try to avoid at all cost. But when we are out in public if there is an attractive woman (and they're everywhere, of course) I always cringe. My mind goes back to that. Even if I'm not looking I avert my glance so my husband doesn't think I'm looking so we wont have to deal with it. I know that's a little different than what you are talking about but I certainly have experience with that as well. I returned to college to finish my degree and I find myself having to deal with that a lot internally. As for the doctor thing, yes, that is a really big deal. And worrying about how your doctor will treat you if you reveal anything to them... Yes, I do think we have a lot of worrying and anxiety to deal with that heterosexual people just don't have to deal with. In a class I just took it was referred to as heterosexual privilege.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FranklinK:

I see what you mean and how your experience shook out. But some experiences can be difficult. If you are at work, and someone, and a few others, made snide comments about how you didn't watch a local football game or even know the score ... or don't go to the holiday party because you don't have a date, and don't feel like digging one up, and are given a cold shoulder the following Monday, believe me that you will spend about 10 to 15 minutes thinking about it, if not have it ruin a good part of the day.

I envy people who are in work environments that are more progressive where this either doesn't happen or the person who makes these observations is the one frowned upon. Just saying.

6. DrWhoFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Seems like a really good point... some things are more obvious than others, like if I hold my gfs hand will I be glared at or worse (yes, it happens), something like booking a hotel room for the night or talking to the doctor who assumes you need contraception. However, I am always wary about using a giveaway pronoun in a conversation... it does wear you down a lot.

7. FranklinK

I went through a lot of those things in high school. I came out to my family at 13, but didn't come out to my friends until 16 or 17. I've worked in a multitude of different environments and I definitely see where you are coming from. I've worked in highly homophobic environments (like when I was in the ARMY) and I've worked in extremely progressive environments as well as the variants in between. But there comes a time when you get tired of pretending.

I was exhausted after trying to hide it in the military. It is probably the most draining thing I have ever had to do. I came to the conclusion that I can't be fired for being gay and if it really came to that I would need to start looking for a new job the moment I started feeling uncomfortable or talk to my employer directly (I've done the latter). The people that don't take you for who you are have no place in your life anyways. If your employer fires you because you are gay - get a lawyer - you will own that company when everything is said and done.

Adopting this attitude isn't easy by any means. It can be quite terrifying at first, but you slowly start to weed out the negative people in your life.

8. PeteNJ

Before you accept yourself, while still in the closet, I'd say that our brains are processing, over processing, and over thinking SO much. Its all about 1) making things LOOK like we're meeting our expectations, and 2) dealing with the cognitive dissonance - acting/looking one way vs in our gut, soul, loins feeling "different."

Living that way plunged me into deep depression and suicidal thoughts.

As I started accepting myself, coming out -- it was like a a deep fog lifted, the sun came out, and that all changed.

Life has been lighter, easier, because I am no longer hiding/keeping secrets -- but more so, because I understand the truth about myself. Its so liberating!!

So how much time do I spend being out/gay? Probably no more than if I was straight and single.

Yes, there is much about navigating the gay world that I am still figuring out -- but I'm not alone in that -- I have my friends in the coming out group, other new gay friends, my shrink, etc. And of course, my EC support.

9. Lilly storm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Before I totally came out to myself I too went through a period of about seven years of severe depression. I couldn't figure out how to make life any better or make myself feel and better and the pressure was mounting. Then it clicked. It's like I was finally able to accept it which was hard for me because I had really invested myself in a marriage with a man. Now things are still hard but in a different way. I'm not so depressed anymore but I do feel very lonely and afraid of being on my own.

10. Jim1454

The trend in the comments here, and I experienced it as well, shows that the effort and energies are dedicated to the issue of orientation until you're comfortable with it.

Now, it doesn't drive any (well maybe a tiny bit) additional thought or effort. I'm out to my family, friends, coworkers, kids, dentist, doctor, regular taxi driver, hair dresser, banker, etc. I talk about my husband just like any heterosexual woman would talk about her husband. I don't need to filter out anything.

But before? I was married for 9 years to a woman, and it was during that time that I came to be aware of my orientation. And THAT was a struggle. One that led to addiction and depression and thoughts of suicide. So I've seen both sides for sure.

The moral - come out and keep coming out. The more comfortable you are being you, the less you worry about what other people are going to say or think, and that makes living much much easier.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read the whole post and the final paragraph mentioned that not caring makes things easier. As a man who has never married, I know that I've had a lot of people talk behind my back and I don't care. What is annoying is the questions on a Monday morning at work which pry, when nothing transpired over the weekend, or the snide comment from a dental hygienist you've had clean your teeth 4 times about your upcoming vacation. As for the latter, one simply checks the box "single" on the health questionnaire, because they really are, and shows an unremarkable medical history ... and they need to respect boundaries since relationships with dentists and hygienists are typically arms length, whereas with a physician they are more involved.

But I do want to bring this up, though. We are still in an environment where people can hit a glass ceiling at work, be harassed, or be fired for their actual or perceived sexual preference and have it veiled as a performance problem of sorts. Clearly, when a person is in such a situation, they should start documenting the situation, look for a new job, or both. However, if the ax fell sooner than all this could be accomplished, the credibility of a short job tenure or sudden departure would rest with the employer and not with the employee. It's sad and I love to see the underdog hold the employer's feet to the fire when this happens and makes the news. Certain industries, certain parts of the U.S., albeit urban, and people who have certain religious belief systems have not progressed in this regard. I see a lot of younger people on here who are anxious about their family's response to their sexuality, and it's totally understandable. For adults who are past that, single, and generally don't care what other people think, the thought of having their paycheck cut off hanging over their heads in times like these is a consideration. Times are changing and many work environments are becoming more progressive, while others are still behind the 8 ball. We all need to be empathetic with this, too.

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A guy I know who came out in his 30s once said being in the closet and "maintaining his cover" was a full time job. I have no problem believing the 25% in the original post.

13. evora

My sexuality is on my mind all the time. Like this morning, I was walking down to the shop and there were two groups of people, 14 year olds, (last day of school), and I got so scared they'd shout at me something. Or when I walk past men and they look at me a bit funnily like they're trying to figure something out but only for a few seconds and that always freaks me out. I'm constantly scared of being surrounded and assaulted by people. I don't actually believe they'd physically hurt me but they could yell insults at me. (I was very heavily bullied through high school and the teachers did nothing!) That's why everytime I'm amongst people, I'm terrified that if I accept I'm gay, they'll hurt/attack me.

14. Biotech49

I'm fairly new to the lesbian community but even lesbians I know who have been out for a long time are constantly aware of their sexuality/orientation. Many of them are in public sector jobs with the federal government (as is my girlfriend). Some are social workers. One just said the other day that she is still coming out to people. Some of them are all the way out. Some aren't simply because it is still a rough world out there.

I was questioned the other days as to why one has to come out. In my mind you are affirming your identity and affirming it for others who may be questioning or afraid to be who they really are. I couldn't be prouder of who I am and who I am becoming. I've never been more confident in my life now that I know how to "manage" that former hidden part of my life.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This (and the other stuff he mentioned) is the voice of someone with a whole lot of shame going on about who they are, which is likely why the alcohol abuse is happening.

Healthy individuals simply love and accept who they are. They don't worry about how they'll be perceived at work, they don't freak out about STIs, what doctor to go see, or much of anything else. The only circumstance in which one's sexual identity is foremost in their mind, day in and day out, is when someone hasn't fully accepted and learned to love themselves for who they are. This sounds like someone who is constantly struggling with self-judgment and has displaced his own self-esteem onto what others think of him.

It may be hard for him to want to hear and change that, but I'd suggest that, even as long as it's been for him, he could really benefit from some self-work focused around his self esteem and acceptance.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's actually water under the bridge. The friendship ended. The alternating personae between sober and inebriated were too much to handle. There was an episode of unconscionable selfishness that caused me to discontinue this friendship of over 6 years. When sober, this person was the best conversationalist I've ever known, across all topics.

#16 Tightrope, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013