1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Taken Over

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by justjade, Jun 8, 2013.

1. justjade

This frustrates me to no end. I was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and I'm noticing that throughout my life, it seems that the logical capacity of my mind is being taken over by my feelings. I get very irrational at times, especially when I'm upset. It's killing me because I am not an irrational person. I know that the way I think sometimes is irrational. I know that I don't make sense to myself. But when I get upset, I just go completely off the wall, and I'm no longer myself. It gets especially bad around the menstrual period, which I feel very uncomfortable calling "mine" because they feel so unnatural to me. I'd like to just make them stop, but I can't take birth control, at least not the estrogen variety, because it makes my moods worse. I'm not even sure what to do. Has anyone else ever had any experience like this? If so, how do you deal with it? What did you tell your doctor? In turn, what did your doctor tell you? I'm still working up the nerve to see a doctor, particularly a gynecologist, but I'm not sure how to go about bringing this up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

2. alwaysdreaming

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Unfortunately I don't really know anything about this. My best advice is to see a doctor.

3. Femmeme

A progesterone only pill might help then. They main thing you need is a long term and trusted therapist. Who diagnosed you? Are they available or can the refer you to someone that has experience working with borderline personality disorder?

I therapist can help you work out what to say to a gynecologist, as well as help you learning calming technics that can help you get back to a rational train of thought.

4. justjade

Indeed, I do have a therapist. She's the one who diagnosed me. She did give me a packet full of relaxation techniques. I've been practicing, but as of now, I'm just frustrated, I guess. I have thought about progesterone only pills, although through a state-funded health department, I'm not sure I can get them. I may be able to get them to prescribe it to me, though. My therapist might be able to refer me if she has no experience working with clients with BPD. If possible, I'd like to stick with her though. She's really good at her job.