1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Young is "Too" Young to know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceOfAvalon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. 741852963

I think that age is far too young. At that age, yes a person may know if they are "different" or shows display signs of opposite-gender behaviours but that does not automatically equate to them being gay.

For example a seven year old tomboy may just be a rejecting traditional (and limiting) gender roles - it doesn't mean she is going to be gay. I think labelling at that age is probably the child or parents using adult-world stereotypes and norms and applying them to the child. At a pre-puberty stage its just guesswork whether the child is actually gay and there will be a lot of false-positives (effeminate boys that turn out to be straight, masculine boys who turn out to be gay etc).

Give me a quid for every football-loving "tomboy" I know who is happily married in a heterosexual relationship and I'd be rich!

2. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think I actually said to myself "I am gay" until sometime in my teens, but there were definite signs earlier on. Before I was 8 I had developed a habit of cutting out the faces of good-looking men from the weekly TV magazine and sticking on my bedroom wall. It literally covered the wall in a sea of faces, and the first time I had friends round in my room, they freaked out a little over it.
    Not to mention, playing doctor was only interesting when I was playing with boys, not girls. I did have a "girlfriend" in primary (elementary) school, but I kissed her perhaps once or twice, and frankly, I was more interested in stalking the hot male afterschool club workers than spending any time with her. With hindsight, she was a friend, nothing more. And even during my "am I bisexual?" phase, I can see now that I was just clinging onto the last hopes that I might be somewhat straight. I knew deep down I was gay.

3. mangotree

I wish I actually knew what gay was/meant when I was at school (most of primary school and all of high school). It would have been nice to have a word/meaning for it instead of constantly wondering why all the girls weren't attractive to me and why the captain of my cricket team was.

4. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I realized I didn't fit into the 'gender box' when I was just a few years old, but I started to notice girls at 10. Developed my first crush at 9, but didn't understand it until later on. It can happen at any time- some people at 4, some people at 40.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I knew when I was 11. However, I did like to dress up as a girl and play with barbies when I was much younger... Maybe 6 or 7 years old? I didn't know I was sexually attracted to the same-sex until I was 11.

I suppose it's different for everyone.

6. Cass

Depends on when puberty starts but really I'd say 11 sounds reasonable .
    Sounds about the time sexual feelings start

7. Envira

I'm only 14, and knew when I was 12, but I had feelings when I was 6 or 7. I think 10 is a good age to really begin knowing. of course there are exceptions... but I think ten is good.