1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Young is "Too" Young to know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceOfAvalon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. starfish

I don't know. 10 does seem a little young to me.

On the other hand. I don't remember much about being that age. To put it in perspective, I was 10 during the first Bush administration.

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Well, if he's jacking off then he MUST know what he's jacking off to. Simple as that, boyz..

So, yes. It's easy to know at 11 since many people start masturbating at that age. Just...true facts...

3. LailaForbidden

I had my first feelings for women around 9 or 10, so I think you can know at a very early age. Like the others said, it's denial and our heteronormative society that delays the realization.

4. Yea you could never be too young. The age that you understand what "gay" is, is when you're old enough to know.

5. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that you can only know for sure once you go trough puberty. But you might start wondering earlier.

6. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

As a young girl who is still struggling with finding her sexual orientation, I can say that I don't think there is a "too" young to know. Maybe there's an age that's too young to start acting on it, but I believe that there is a huge range when people can feel comfortable that they have figured it out.

Really, it's different for everyone.

7. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

Well, I'm 13, and I'm pretty dang sure I'm not straight. I began questioning myself around the time I was 10, when I had romantic feelings towards a girl in my class. I'm not nearly ready to flat-out say "Yes, I am indeed bisexual", but my best bet is that I will be in a few years.

8. NeverMeetAgain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say once you realize what "gay" means, you can label yourself.

9. TeddyJavier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think there is an age limit on sexuality.

I remember being about 4 and thinking to myself that it wasn't fair that my sister would one day grow up and have a husband, yet I would have to have a wife. I didn't want a wife, I wanted a husband. And I don't think it was a typical "little boy thinking girls are icky" type of thing, I knew then I preferred boys.

I didn't have a word for it, but I knew I was different. When I found out what gay meant, at around 11, I was almost relieved to finally have a word for it. I knew that I was gay.

10. BubbleGum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say 11/12 but I a friend of mine (she's a lesbian) spent lots of time in cities, travelling around and meeting new people when she was young while I spent most of my time at home pretending to be some awesome hacker and spending time with my "friends".

Long story short she knew when she was 10 I think while I started questioning my sexual orientation when I was 14. It depends on your maturity really. At least that's what I believe.

11. alwaysdreaming

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I started realizing I was "different' when I was like 5 but I didn't think much of it.
    And even now (I'm only 13) I'm out to most of my good friends. But sometimes I think "am I really sure I'm bi? I'm kinda young." But then I think "Well, I'm way too attracted to girls for this to just be a phase." So I'm still kinda confused about it. So yeah I guess it really does just depend on who you are and what your specific situation is.

12. leer

the signs were deferentially there when i was 8 a group of us were into WWE wrestling on telly and we use to play-fight I always got exited when this boy who was always EDGE got to pin me . was 13 when the penny dropped .

13. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to mention also that even if I'm thinking 'you're too young to know', I wouldn't tell the kid that. I would just say that whatever they feel, that's OK.

14. gmdx

Same. I'd probably say something along the lines of “Good for you, kid!"

Personally,I was kinda in denial for awhile, so I'm not sure exactly when it started. 12, 13 or 14? I knew I liked guys before that.....

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think that most people know who they're attracted to by age 11 and 12. I don't like the you're too young to know thing either. Sure, some kids go through a phase, but some adults also go through sexuality phases too so It's a moot point.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew when I was 12. The problem was that I thought it could be a phase really until I entered college, then now I am actually dealing with it 19 years later.

18. black-cat

I think the age of which we know that we "like our own gender" or we "aren't normal" is very different to when we even start to consider it in conjunction with "real life". I've known that I "wasn't normal" and liked girls since I was 9-10, never thought much about it until a week ago when it hit me that it means that I'm bi. Denial is a very funny thing!

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 11:30 PM ----------

Yeah exactly. We all mature at different ages and are exposed to different things and feel different. Telling a kid out is a phase is just a way to mess with their heads when it is still there in 1/2/3 years time.

19. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew that I wanted to have a wife when I was seven, but I'm still not 100% sure of my sexuality right now. When I'm forced to pick between saying I'm gay, straight or bi I say I'm gay, but I'm always wondering whether I'll fall for a guy. When I can choose other labels I either go label free, queer or something silly like chromesexual. :slight_smile:

20. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think anyone really can define how young is too young. I think it's just one of those things that is different for everyone. In my case, I'm pretty sure I started to realize at around age 8 when I developed a crush on my best friend, but I didn't fully understand or acknowledge it until I was 12. Then I started freaking out.
    I admire this kid's courage.