Doesn't just about everybody have gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes it's on stereotypes if the perception is made quickly, and other times it's just on how someone processes things, and they could still be very traditional in their gender roles.

2. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My gay-dar is non existent x)

3. biggayguy

I think a lot of straight people suppress their same sex attractions. Many of them are just guessing like it's a game.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the above. He can pick 'em out when *nobody* else, including people with good gaydar, would suspect. And he can pick them out when there are fairly obvious signs. Sometimes he can point to things that tip him off, and other times, it's just an intuition that he can't easily describe. But it's scary how accurate he is, and any time we think he's wrong about someone... we give it time, and eventually the person comes out. It's a little freaky.

5. IrishEyes1989

I've often thought about this and I'd say I agree with you to an extent. I think that any member of the queer community who fits certain stereotypes, such as the flamboyant gay male or the very butch lesbian, will be easily recognized as LGBTQ simply because those stereotypes are so widely held in our society. However, I have met plenty of guys with very bubbly personalities and who dress in a manner that would leave few people in doubt of their sexual orientation, but they are in fact straight. Conversely, there are a lot of people, such as myself, who to all outward appearances seem heterosexual but are in fact LGBTQ.

I think we just have to be very careful when we think our gaydar has picked up a signal from someone lol. Most of the time it's probably accurate, but there are always errors (at least in my own experience).

6. Munyal

I can normally clue into certain people's minds. Not like Proffesor X, more like Deanna Troi, ya know? Some of my friends have really strong gaydar, better than me, and they aren't LGBT.

7. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friend has an incredible gaydar! He even said I was gay before I knew it myself. He also told me who he suspected being gay in our classes the second week at our new school and he turned out to be right about them! And all of them where people I would never have guessed where gay myself. I wish I had a gaydar :frowning2:

8. mes1995

I don't really have one, i'm femme and i like other femmes so it's always hard to tell.
    usually it's the small details that will give you a clue.

9. TSN2012

Before I started using this forum, I honestly thought that every LGBT person has gaydar integrated in them since they were born. It's when I saw many people's comments on many of the previous posts that made me realize that that's not the case. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My gaydar is pretty good (or maybe I think that it's good when maybe i've been wrong the whole time?)

10. timo

I thought my gaydar was finally improving after I met a cute gay guy last weekend. Turns out he's just cute. I fail.

11. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I not only have excellent gaydar, I know when women are pregnant even before they show. I'm so good at knowing this, among friends and family, it's a standing joke that I should be consulted instead of using a pregnancy test.

I was working with a 15 year old boy in my school. He wanted to tell me something; I knew before he said it that he was going to tell me he was gay; it was obvious to me. Several months later he told me that his mother had also guessed he was gay. At some point he wanted to come out to his sister and father. His therapist had a family meeting for this purpose. His father and sister were incredibly shocked that he was gay. Why is that? The mother knew, I knew, but why were the father and sister so clueless?

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really have gaydar. I require my straight friends to help me.

Sisterhood, Adrian

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking in a lot of cases.

14. Dins3label

Good plan. And then we can take all the gay people and put them in certain areas of cities and then put up walls so we are self contained :bang:

See, I sometimes do participate in the gaydar game in reference to people who haven't come out yet, but I don't actually think its a good idea. Coming out was so nerve wracking for me, probably most of us. So the fact that we speculate about other people seems kind of insensitive.

I really don't know if its us that are wrong, it's kind of the idea that people have to hide it in the first place. If homosexuality was something that was "normal", then nobody would care about that "oh he is so closeted" bull crap.

BUT gaydar is helpful in a room full of straight dudes, but I don't think it's fool proof when only based on outside characteristics.

15. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, my "gaydar" is pretty bad. Though, I do get some vibes at times.