1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your "final straw?"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Runnerrunner, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Lakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine was lying to a very good friend about where I was headed one Saturday evening. Once I hung that phone up, I cried. Here I was a 49 year old man, still after 36 years lying to people about it. It had to stop. So by the next Friday I was coming out to people.

I feel shame I lied/covered it up all these years. I lied to people I love. Over and over. When I came out, I apologized to them for lying.

no more lies.

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I think I have extraordinary, but self-defeating, willpower. SaleGayGuy's anecdote is something I experienced like 10 million times, and did NOTHING!!!
    How was that possible! I think the frustration has been unbearable and has taken it's toll on my soul.

I was thinking about the final straw. The final straw was becoming increasingly anxious about sex with my wife. Somehow, I managed to perform but I dreaded it. It was our anniversary, and sex was probably expected, and I just broke down and told my wife the truth (that is, the semi truth at that time).

Thinking back, I wish had used all the energy I put into lying, deceiving, and pretending into being the authentic me.

3. My turning point was after I had a dream. It wasn't sexual. I was dating a woman and I was so happy. I remember feeling so alive with the smallest touch from her.

I woke up and it hit me. I am sexually attracted to women. Few days later I told my husband I think I could be bi. A few weeks after that I realized that I am actually a lesbian.

4. Femmeme

VERY well said Skiff.

5. Venturing

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My situation was more of a perfect storm, rather than a final straw. I was in the middle of a five month recovery from a traumatic injury. I was mid 40's, re evaluating my life, and my husband told me that he was miserable and wanted a divorce. He had been telling me for the last eight years that he had been lonely and wanted a divorce, but all of a sudden a lightbulb went off, and I wondered why I was fighting to keep this marriage alive. Then I started to think about my future, and was finally truthful with myself. Also adding to the mix was that my child was getting older and more independent, and I had also developed a close friendship with another lesbian, which brought questions that had been swirling deep below for many, many years to the surface.

6. redneck09

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My final straw was me sitting at a friends house thinking about how I wish I could be happy but because of certain situations that I can not come out... I have known since I was 13 that I was a lesbian but have lied for almost ten years now in order to keep the peace.. all I was actually doing was hiding behind a mask... that night after me and my best guy friend left the house I couldn't hold it in anymore so I told him... he took it very well and we are closer friends now... I am slowly but surely starting to come out... since that night I have told a few other people and only one of them reacted badly.. I am ready to start dating but im sure it will come in time.

7. biggayguy

There were also large sections of my life I couldn't share with my parents. For example, going to the gay club, being involved with the gay and lesbian alliance at school, marching in the pride parade, my boyfriend that I said was "just a friend". I was constantly worried that they would ask questions that I couldn't answer.

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2013 at 05:30 AM ----------

Of course you're right. It was an illusion. When the fear of coming out was less than the fear of being discovered, that's when I came out, (!) It was the most freeing thing I've ever done. (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)