1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HAPPY PRIDE! out on stage, out to the world (pride parade)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PeteNJ, Jun 3, 2013.

1. PeteNJ

Hello All --

Some 8 months or so ago I logged on here - totally depressed, confused, anxious.

Started coming out in January of this year -- at least to myself, though that took a while.

My teen age son had a major event this past Saturday -- and in my mind I thought I'd have to wait to come out until it had happened.

SO NOT SO! My closest friends challenged me -- to think about how powerful it would be to stand on stage with my son, rather than in the closet keeping secrets, but out and living as an out gay man.

And I did. Everyone there in my family, my close friends, and all the key people in the group -- everyone knows I'm gay. I wore my "born this way (lgbt/gay/lesbian) t-shirt under my other clothes -- a little passive aggressive, I know, but affirmational.

Then yesterday I marched in the NJ Pride Parade with my LGBT center -- in fact, I led the group carrying our banner. (and yes, my pic is now appearing online in many places... yes, I'm VERY out!!) haha

Afterwards spent the day with friends hanging out at the Pride Festival -- and had a blast, really. Its so ridiculously affirming to be in place where everyone is ok with who anyone else is. About a perfect day --

Tonight -- going to a party to kick off our local week of pride events. Let's see who I meet ;-)

So -- to all of you, whatever stage of this journey you're on -- HAPPY PRIDE!

If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd be out for my son's event, that I'd be marching in a Pride Parade, that I'd be carrying our groups banner (and therefore end up on youtube, news videos, and countless images) -- I'd have said "impossible" --

Well, my LBGT late but great friends -- your life as an LGBT person can be wonderful -- take the risk -- jump off the safety zone -- stretch yourself. You'll be well rewarded!

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always love your posts Pete! You must have been a swashbuckling pirate on the high seas in a previous life (a gay one, no doubt!!)!

Happy Pride!

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nah... Juan Ponce de Leon as Pete found the fountain of youth!

4. Biotech49

Yes! Thanks for the mood boosting affirmations!

5. PeteNJ

Ok -- tonight went to a Pride week kick off party. SO MANY hot men. Sex in the men's room wth one guy, and with another in the car.

For now I'm still the fresh meat.

Guys, gals, really - life is too short. Enjoy it. Go with what life bring you, and what you can create. Have energy -- you'll be attractive and fun.

I'd be all night except for being a parent....

6. Ticklish Fish

*clapping like the people in the crowd, I might be standing too*

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats PeteNJ

8. PeteNJ

Today was Pride Festival in my home town. I wore an HRC t-shirt "Born this way". And went with my teen son.

Met up with 3 other gay friends, 1 of them with their kid, too.

Came out to many of my neighbors in town. I ran into a number of "new" friends I've met at pride centers and lgbt events in area.

I'd call this my public coming out. Yep, posted pics on Facebook.

Being there with my son was amazing. I wanted him to see me as proud, open, and engaged both with my new gay community and the many many straight allies who were there.

It was also the first time my kid or my friend's kid had interacted with this new world of gay friends.

At the end of the day, we all went out for pizza. Of the six of us, 3 of us wearing gay or pride shirts. Got a few stares. (We went to a neighboring town, which is decidedly un liberal!)

Awesome, really. Didn't hurt that I got hit on by a younger guy, and yes I have his number... (Always be present to opportunities!)

9. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy Pride PeteNJ! CONGRATULATIONS for just going for it! It sounds like it went amazingly! You're giving me the courage to go to my local Pride.

10. EddyG

That is great, what a wonderful day you had! Congrats. I've got to get one of those t-shirts.

On edit: okay just found one and ordered it!

#10 EddyG, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  11. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow Pete, sounds like you had a great time this weekend. It’s good to hear that your son is so supportive and accepts you for who you really are.

My local pride event in Manchester is not on until the end of August so hoping to talk my wife into us both going but I think it will be an uphill struggle since it’s not yet 3 months since I came out to her.

Sale Gay Guy

12. PeteNJ

I kinda am dumbfounded -- in a good way!

May 27, march in local Memorial Day parade, as a scout leader in uniform, carrying the American flag
    June 2, march in our state's Gay Pride parade, as part of our state's pride center group, carrying the pride center banner, hang at our booth & attend the Gay Pride festival
    June 9, attend my town's Gay Pride festival, which due to state politics, had national news coverage, with my son. my "new" gay friends.

2 great weeks on my coming out journey!

Love you all!

13. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's great PeteNJ :slight_smile: congrats

14. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Pete, I have only just realised the deep significance of what I said in my last post.

I am so used to telling younger guys who have just come out, and had the full support of their parents, how lucky they are; and now I am telling you how lucky you are to have supportive and accepting kids. How the world has changed since I was a teenager, it’s brought a tear to my eye.

Sale Gay Guy

15. homoboy22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good 4 u pete. i only came out a day or so ago(only to my 2 friends). can u help me come out to my parents?

16. PeteNJ

Today, friends, I marched in the NYC Pride Parade. No bigger pride parade, I think. Starting at 39th St, all the way down 5th Avenue, past Stonewall through Greenwich Village... I marched with my friends from the NJ Pride Center. Historic, in light of the Supreme Court rulings this week.

And yes, I held the rainbow flag high!!

I could never have predicted this 6 months, a year ago. That's the wonder of the journey. Don't go for what's easy, predictable.

Do what's outside the box. And revel in what you get out of it.

Affirmed. Loved. Tens of thousands of people clapping, cheering as our group went by.

We're OK, my friends. We are just right. We belong, too.

All the churches, sponsors, organizations that support this parade are amazing. On the block we waited in queue for -- were many Google folks - 900+ actually. They had a great float. They were the single largest group in the parade. And so many major companies, organizations -- supported NYC Pride 2013.

I think especially for us late but great folks.... at least for me, fear kept me in the closet. And today was one more day to be proud, to wipe away any fear, and be happy with who I am and march with my brothers and sisters who feel the same about being queer.

Glad to be queer. Still figuring it out, but so what! That's the fun of it, isn't it? Learning, exploring, and day by day, figuring out the puzzle that's me.

And might I say, I was darned proud of our community. We waited for HOURS to get into the parade -- I saw lots of folks having fun, dancing. And I saw folks picking up the garbage, trash, and leaving the block clean. I saw us reaching out to LGBTQIA and straight allies. Given that its NYC, I saw MORE communities than I'd ever imagined. There was a Arab queer group there. They had quite a float and quite a contingent. They were having a blast. And then I saw a hot guy stop. On his back was tatooed in Hebrew -- Shalom. And he went over and hugged them all. AWESOME!

17. HopeFloats

This is really, really inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow cool PeteNJ .. Congratulations!
    when i watched the parade in Denver last year it was pretty surprising to see all the different groups/businesses/etc that joined in :slight_smile:

While I myself could never march in a parade, I do enjoy going to Pride (can't really explain why .. there's something in me that just likes going)

19. RainbowMan

I might have seen you at the pride parade today (in fact, nearly sure I did since I saw the 900+ Google folks)

I was just a spectator, but not next year... :grin:

20. PeteNJ

One of the guys in our group was a furry - he was quite a hit with the crowds giving out hugs! (The things you find out about people!). He was the most notable one of us. Rest of pretty much wore khaki shorts & purple t shirts. 6 of us guys who marched are from the Coming Out group - first timers!