1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glad to be gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by wrhla, May 27, 2013.

1. wrhla

I just want to say that I'm glad to be gay. And the funny thing is that, at the same time I was terrified of being gay when I was younger, at a certain level I have always felt thrilled to be gay. I felt that being gay was an almost transcendent experience. To be gay was to revel in your sexuality, to be unafraid. A part of me just longed to come out and be bold.

Of course, all of this was buried under my fear and my pointless, strenuous efforts to be straight. When I was in college and grad school, I would get high in my room and lose all inhibitions and affirm my homosexuality. The rest of the time, I would walk around in my grim self-deception, working very hard at not being gay.

It's funny. I'm a child of the sixties, and we all believed in authenticity and personal liberation and polymorphous perversity and the sexual revolution, etc. And when we spoke of people who were "straight," we weren't talking about sexual orientation. We were talking about establishment types. Coming out as gay would have been completely consistent with my values, but I just couldn't do it. And by that I mean that I couldn't come out to myself.

I strongly suggest that everyone listen to the Jimi Hendrix song "Are You Experienced?"
    There's a line that, for me, says it all about coming out: "I know you'll probably scream and cry that your little world won't let you go/But who in your measly little world are you trying to prove that you're made out of gold and can't be sold?"

#1 wrhla, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. PeteNJ

It IS great to know who you are isn't it!

3. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to get to the place where I believe what you are saying for myself. Not there yet, hope to be.

4. DrWhoFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In wierd kind of way I'm glad... I'm glad that I can love and really enjoy sex properly now, when I never did before. It's such a cliche, but songs make sense and I feel in touch with the human race in a way I never did when I was hiding in the closet. So I'm glad I can love, and if I'm gay to do it then so be it. I'd rather that than not at all.

Think I'm a hippy at heart!

5. Rexmond

It's great being gay and understanding and realising I am gay was the best thing to happen to me so far. The "perks" that come with being gay are still yet to come, and I'm going to enjoy my first kiss with a guy a lot more than the kisses with girls.

6. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

It truly is great to be gay :slight_smile: especially since I hate children.

7. Lewis

Yeah I agree completely. I feel like I've gone through a journey that I wouldn't have it if I were straight, a journey of self acceptance.

I feel so content with myself right now and the only hurdle I have to face is telling my parents.

8. Rexmond

XD

@Lewis - I'm in the exact same situation as you, but knowing how my parents feel about homosexuals, I'm not sure whether they deserve to know or not.

9. Lewis

We can do it. I'ts important to tell our parents so we can move on with our lives.

10. EddyG

I feel exactly the same. I've been telling people like my parents that I'm glad I'm gay, I wouldn't want to be straight, I'm very happy with the way I am and I wouldn't be me if I weren't gay. Plus I just love being able to really appreciate good looking guys, who'd want to give that up???

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with all of the above, only to me there is nothing inherently good or bad about being gay.

The good part is that I can now express my love wholeheartedly, without reserve, and that I can love someone like never before. And if that someone has to be a "he", then so be it!

12. Rexmond

I wish it was that easy, I really do. The advice I've got from another adult is to wait until I am at least 18 so that I can cope and will no longer need their support, because of how my dad will react. You're right though, and when the time comes I'll be able to move on and it'll be up to my parents if they want me involved in their lives or not.

13. Ohana

Thanks for the great post, wrhla!

I was feeling something similar the last week too. No particular reason, but I just caught myself walking a little taller, smiling more, feeling special in a way that I never have. I thought, "I love being gay. I love being me." Sounds cheezy, but true!

14. Lewis

I'm almost 20 and still struggling :/

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

16. happymom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So, I know it's weird, but when I told my husband that I wanted a divorce because our marriage wasn't working it was sort of like my version of "coming out". I know it's not the same, but humor me. I was proud to be honest about it! I was proud that was reclaiming my right to have sex with someone that actually wanted to have sex with me! So even though the coming out part is up to him if he ever decides he's gay, I had my own version, because I had to stand up and say, "this thing we've got going is a farse. Neither of us enjoy it. Can I please go have sex with someone that's into me?" It's kind of the same things that a person "coming out" has to say. I know it's such much more than that, too, but it's similar at least in that.

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I too am Glad to be Gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

18. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Happymom- You Go Girl!!!!
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

19. wrhla

I do see the connection, happymom. And I feel that in my own life, I'm seeing a number of things more clearly, not just about being gay but about who I am in other ways. I always thought it was so terribly important to live up to some image I had in my head about who I was supposed to be. I'm trying to let go of all of that.

"Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful." -Jimi Hendrix, "Are You Experienced"

20. evora

I'm relieved to be gay, as in I'm glad I'm gay and that there's nothing actually wrong with me, as I used to think.