You have got to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, May 22, 2013.

1. Hexagon

I don't mean to get into this conversation cause I'm too tired, but I'd just like to say that the two aren't mutually exclusive. Depression is usually, but not always caused by events in the outside world, but that doesn't mean that depression isn't a chemical imbalance. These things have to manifest in the body/brain somehow.

2. BlueBear

When I think of chemical imbalance I am thinking something that is treated by drugs and is a physical illness but I may be wrong. My father was institutionalized for clinical depression which now would be treated with medicine but from researching him I believe it was caused by upbringing and environment and that medicine is catch all for all types of depression depending on who you seek out to address it.

Regardless which type of depression you have and how you go about treating it is all that matters. Not what a boob writes in an article.

#22 BlueBear, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  3. castle walls

This isn't a psychiatrist view. This is the depression is a mental illness view. Psychiatrists don't own that view. It is actually pretty common. I would even go as far as to say this view is shared by the vast majority of psychologists. I could see a few psychotherapists thinking otherwise but, with current science, depression is considered a mental illness. It is considered "a serious illness" by the United States government agency National Institute of Mental Health. You can even use depression to get Social Security Disability in the USA.

Also, psychologists are doctors. In your post, you seem to classify psychiatrists as doctors and psychologists as regular psychotherapists. The main difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is that psychiatrists studied medicine in school. On the other hand, psychologists focused on studying psychology. A psychologist cannot prescribe medication in the majority of states in the US.

A psychologist can believe that depression accompanies a chemical imbalance and not recommend medication. They can decide to use CBT instead of referring them to get medication. They may even decide to use CBT and refer them to get medication. The use of medication depends on the situation. Believing that depression is a mental illness doesn't mean that medication must be involved. It depends on what is going on.

My problem with the article, as I mentioned earlier, is that this is just one more thing that contributes to the stigma of mental illness. This stigma makes it harder for people that are depressed to seek help. So, to use some of your wording, what this boob writes can affect how people go about treating it. They may even decide not to treat it at all. That is my problem

4. BlueBear

My experience doesn't match yours. My experience is psychiatrist treat with medicine and don't consider that therapy may fix the problem and psychologists treat through therapy and don't consider that medicine may be an option.

5. BlueBear

You missed my point which is people’s experience taint how they see things including mental health diagnoses. The original article was written by someone who has never had long term depression and that is I how I read it. My personal experience is long term depression doesn’t exist as a standalone issue but rather a symptom of something much larger. I don’t care what someone writes in an article on mental health even from a leading psychologist. Therapy worked me as I believe in it. If I didn’t it wouldn’t have work. Your interest in depression as a diagnosis isn’t the same as mine. I only would like to know if it is only caused only by psychological issues and not medical issues. Depression has quite a range from short term to the point of escaping reality which is what my father had. I entered therapy from being suicidal from depression but quickly learned that it was only a symptom of something much larger.

In college I found that what people are passionate about taints how they see the world. Such as law, government, economy, History, or even English lit. It is no different for health care or sexual preference.

#25 BlueBear, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. Just Jess

I wouldn't take anything the man has to say too seriously. He's practically a scientologist with his anti-psychiatry stance. And his "technology blog" is basically him telling the world which tablet he bought this week with his ill-gotten gains.

Also I thought it was kind of funny that he used "gay" as a pejorative in his "Microsoft releases the world's gayest tablet and other news" article, and then...

I mean, of course, a man can call another man beautiful if he wants to and all; it's 2013 and women of all orientations have been complementing each other forever. And ugly here is relevant to the story; the "tech industry" here was actually Google and a single blogger, and it was over an unflattering photo.

I still thought it was a little ironic.

#26 Just Jess, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  7. Rexmond

If only he actually suffered from depression himself. :icon_sad:

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This cracked me up because I've been going through depression for quite some time, and he is so seriously misinformed.
    Maybe I''m just messed up, but these are definitely not the thoughts that constantly run through my head. Thoughts like that can make someone sad, but they are not the type of thoughts that define depression. I only wish it was that pleasant.

As for this little duel going on in the replies, I think it's somewhat reasonable to say that it could be a combination of things which lead to this illness. It's not like depression is only caused by one thing, otherwise it would easy to treat.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is actually a grain of truth to this. I do think in many cases the negative thoughts came before the chemical imbalance.

But negative thoughts are not something you can necessarily control. Seriously, try not thinking about a purple elephant now that I've mentioned one.

10. Hexagon

Not to say your point isn't valid, but the purple elephant thing never works on me. I don't have a habit of listening to people :slight_smile:

11. BlueBear

I think depression is complicated to discuss as is depression bad enough to consider suicide vs you were passed over again for the promotion similar. I had the suicidal kind and when I lost my job I couldn’t keep my mind occupied to fend it off. My father had lost his grip on reality from depression but both of ours were just symptoms of something else that needed to be constantly fed like a junkie. Insurance companies want a set in stone diagnosis to decide what they will pay for.

When I first posted to this thread I wasn’t aware this was a sore spot for other forum members and I apologize if I upset you. I missed the article quoted intention and was looking for the medicine vs therapy augment. My wife is a manger in health care and my point of view is tainted by what I have learned from her over the years.

12. Colours

Well I've only read the title. But I'll just say that I do think people are quick to call themselves depressed. I've been through so much shit myself and have been a bit down at times and you won't hear me saying I'm depressed. However, I know people who call themselves depressed every other day. I really can't stand that. So judging by the title, that is probably what he's aiming at (but I could be completely wrong, sorry if so).